Suggestions for Family/Baby friendly listing

Looking for suggestions on what we should have to classify as such. I’m currently pregnant with our first so I’m not the most knowledgeable in this area.

It’s a small two bedroom cottage on a lake. It has one main floor bedroom and one upstairs bunk room. I plan to have a pack n play, a high chair, some plastic dishes, and a gate available for the stairs. I also plan to supply some baby/kid sized life jackets, board games, and books. Probably a few beach sand toys that we will accumulate for our little one as well. The TV will be mounted and cleaning supplies hidden in a pantry.

Anything else I’m missing that’s a MUST? Does the fact that I have the second floor bunk room make it immediately not kid/baby friendly?

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps outlet covers, bookcases secured walls. You could say in listing bunk room not suitable for young children.

Thanks for the feedback. We are installing tamper resistant outlets, which I think (but will double check) negates the need for covers.

Airbnb has a checklist of items you should have to be considered family friendly. Have you looked at those?

I googled it and the search results were more so about how to tick (or untick) the box to be considered family friendly. It seems like that was an issue not so long ago.

Is this the one you meant? https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1348/if-i-specify-that-my-listing-is-safe-or-suitable-for-children--what-should-i-know

I did review it, just doesn’t seem like it covers much! Especially where I have stairs and am not sure if that should be a specific concern.

I don’t know I’m afraid, my property isn’t suitable for children, I just know they have a checklist you have to abide by to have your property as child friendly.

Have you had a look on Airbnb Help Centre

to have the family designation you have to have this:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2187/how-do-i-join-the-family-collection

However under the amenities section, there are a list of family amenities you can check off if you have them.

I was going to warn you about the life jackets (don’t provide them unless they are brand new, certified, etc.) but I see you are Canadian and don’t have to worry about litigious guests suing!

1 Like

Thank you! Looks like I should be covered!

Really? I am definitely worried about guests suing. The cottage has a fire pit, bbq, and we have some canoes and kayaks that we would allow people to use. I was thinking about putting a disclaimer regarding all these things, and obviously getting lots of insurance. I’m even planning on telling people that to be sure they should bring their own life jackets but we do have some on site just incase. It seems risky but there are so many wonderfully reviewed airbnbs locally that offer these things and seem to have no issues.

In Canada are we less at risk than Americans for being sued? That would be a bit of a relief.

Nah I was kind of of making a blanket assumption. It might be an urban myth. Don’t go by my comment! Protect yourself!!! And definitely don’t assume that neighboring Airbnb’s don’t have issues with guests and liability!

Wow, if you have all that you should definitely pay a lawyer up there to draw up a disclaimer or waiver of liability that guests must sign and return. I’d be worried about the fire pit honestly. Guests are idiots about fire. Be sure to have cameras installed on the exterior so you can keep an eye on things. A host here just posted about how her camera came on when a guest left a fire pit unattended and it almost burned their house down.

Just be super careful, don’t go by me!

Oh darn, I was hoping there was a magic Canadian answer haha!

Thanks for the advice on the fire pit. We haven’t installed it yet but as we will be using this place personally it would seem so strange not having one at a lake cottage. Will definitely give it another thought. The horror stories sure are scary.

Our house, where we live, is clearly stated as not suitable or safe for children but in my early, green and naive days, I was tricked by someone who announced they would be bringing a toddler at the last minute. I messaged that she would have to supervise him carefully, as the stairs and garden are not safe for curious children, only to get a very antsy response back, along the lines of them being a good team. Supposedly sleeping, he fell down the stairs whilst they ate breakfast alone. A curious child and an entitled, horrid parent. My advice is to cover all bases.

1 Like

Just get good liability insurance. In my real job, I saw a loss claim for a customer injured by slipping on a dollop of icing in front of the Cinnabon at our mall. Will be impossible to prevent every occurrence.

Insurance takes care of the litigious people.

My first thought too when I saw that. Even without litigation concerns, I would still be very apprehensive about supplying these. If the life jacket doesn’t fit properly, the child could slip out. We don’t accept children under 12 although we get asked often to make an exception. We never do.

Google “slip and fall” see what comes up. If you want to avoid any potential liability don’t rent your place.

We have kayaks and life jackets. Our big injury we heard about last year was a splinter in guests foot from hardwood floors.