Suggested Discounts

Airbnb suggests a 25% discount for a week long stay, and a 50% discount for a month long stay. Do most people offer these discounts? More? Less? We are having difficulty with people who stay for longer periods being very messy. Edited: we are in a heavy summer and winter tourist area

50%? That is crazy… that is for Air’s benefit.

I do not discount at all.

5 Likes

When we’re open, we don’t discount, and our max stay is 14 days.

3 Likes

I have a max stay of 14 days, also. I have never offered any discounts. My listing is already as affordable as I can make it and still be worthwhile for me to host.

Airbnb’s pricing suggestions are to be ignored.

2 Likes

I don’t discount.
Especially since we’re pretty booked up either way, I’d probably lose money by doing long term stays with discounts. And if a month costs the same as two weeks as AirBnB suggests, why would I shoulder all the extra maintenance, utilities, cleaning etc with offering longer bookings?

2 Likes

Airbnb suggestions of ridiculous low pricing is so that you get booked and they get their cut!
It isn’t about you or what you supply as a listing, it is all about their income.
Every unbooked night is a loss to them, nothing to do with how you manage your listing.
I really resent it when they try and force my price down, especially when they are comparing apples and oranges!

1 Like

Then there is certainly no reason to give them a discount.

Personally, I would charge 50% more for a month long stay on Airbnb :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: because that’s a tenant in most places, they are in there for a long time and yet you don’t have a security deposit in your hand. And you’re making less money.

5 Likes

I do 10% weekly and 20% monthly. I do like longer stays and when I get the inevitable question about discounting a longer stay, I can say the discount is built in.

I definitely save money/effort on longer stays because I would otherwise have vacant days and more cleaning.

I have had nothing but good experiences with stays varying from 2 weeks to 3 months.

1 Like

I do give discounts for longer stays (28 days) but only off season. The discount is 25%.

1 Like

I change pricing for seasons, but I never discount, and my max stay is 7 days unless they’re a previous guest that I know that I could tolerate for longer.

I’m going to change linens and clean once a week anyway, and I prefer variety.

2 Likes

I’m like @NordlingHouse – change prices with season and NEVER give a discount for anything. In five years we’ve only twice had guests stay for more than 10 days. I would never accept a booking for more than 2 weeks unless they were returning guests.

You can bet Marriott doesn’t discount for anything less than a 20 room minimum wedding party!

2 Likes

My max is 7 days, and think now I offer 10% but don’t get a lot of requests for that length of time.
In AZ (winter hotspot) with lots of weekly bookings I also gave 10% discount.

1 Like

I do 20% for over a week and 30% for over a month. The longer stay doesn’t require occupancy tax so that is a savings as well. I have had good and bad guests both with STR and LTR. I like the longer stays for the reduced laundry and less food waste because I learn about their preferences for our provided light breakfast. We also have which is limited to a week at most.

1 Like

[quote=“KenH, post:11, topic:49316”]
You can bet Marriott doesn’t discount f
[/quote

You do you. Marriott can do Marriott

2 Likes

Mine is market driven. Over abundance of off season STR availability drives the discounts.

My weekly discount is only 5%.

My monthly discount is 50%. I check my market by doing a search for similar rentals for 1/1-2/1 & map view. Vacation areas have incredible variation in amenities beyond 2br vs 1br so anything recommended by Airbnb isn’t valid.

1 Like

@happycamper What is your ideal length of stay? How long would you like most guests to stay, taking into account money and time? 5 days? A week? 2 Weeks? A month?

No discounts for any time period and at any time of year.

4 Likes

Insist on going into the rental once a week to change the linens (sheets, towels etc) and ‘refresh’. This way you keep the place clean and you can point out any behaviour that you don’t want to see - such as leaving food out that will attract insects and so on.

So happy that I can add humour to your day.

Every time I hear someone say that they won’t take bookings of over 7 days, it is clear to me that their operation is completely different from mine. I am closer to a furnished rental apartment, and my relationship is more like a landlord. I don’t have a lot of interaction with my guests, as they are pretty much independent from me.

I have no problem with someone running their business differently and if someone doesn’t want to offer a discount for longer stays, they are free to make that choice. As I said, you do you.

@mica555 I think you might have missed that @KKC was agreeing with you…

2 Likes