Stranger in my house (Private Room in shared home)

I host two rooms in my home which are listed as private rooms in a shared home. I live here with my 14 year old son. I currently have a guest in one of the rooms. He arrived two days ago and is due to check out in two days. When guests book, they have to agree to my house rules. One of my house rules states that only confirmed guests are to stay in the home. This is very important as my son and I do live in the home and all of our personal items are in the home.

This morning, I was at my desk in the office area near the living room. I heard someone walk in and assumed it was my guest. As I turn to say hi, I was caught off guard by a woman. She said hi and I, in a very puzzled tone, asked who she was. She said her name and I still asked who she was as that was not the name of my current guest or any future guests. She said she was in my home staying with my current guest. Then asked “Did he not mention I was staying here?” I told her that he had not mentioned anyone else and had booked the room for 1 guest. She then told me the guest was at a conference and that she had arrived late last night. As some of you may understand I am livid that the guest would just decide to bring someone in my home and give her my security entrance code without notifying me or asking my permission. I sent the guest a message telling him that I did not appreciate being surprised by a stranger (whom I was not expecting and I have no info on) being in my home. He quickly replied and said sorry. The woman was nice but I am still very upset that the guest just disregarded my house rule. Opinions? Suggestions?

I would have kicked her out immediately and let her take it up with her friend!

5 Likes

Next time just ask the unregistered person to leave. This is a really common problem that happens to us often too. When someone books now, if I see that they are Airbnb newbies, I message them and tell that we live in the house, and that no unregistered guests are allowed and will be asked to leave immediately. Give that guy a negative review too.

5 Likes

I agree with the others that he has made a big mistake. You can either ask them to check out or ask him to add her to the reservation and make any payment necessary.

4 Likes

As this is (understandably) a major concern for you may I suggest you send an arrival nessaage (via AirBnB) a few days before they check in and after the usual pleasantries about looking forward to having them stay in your home with you have a saved section like:

Here is some important information for your arrival please take the time to read it:

1. check in is 2pm unless by arrangement
  2. only people who are included explicitly on the booking are allowed on the premises at any time. People who have not been included in the booking will be considered intruders and asked to leave immediately.
  3. etc
1 Like

‘Single Occupancy only’ is on my description and rules. Curiously, they respect this. A total stranger in your home as a single mom with a kid is NOT cool.

This is at the root of the problem. Never ever use a security entrance code, since this could be abused in the way you are descibing here.

If you simply always, always greet guests personally, or else have a friend greet them personally if you are away, this problem could and will be avoided. In fact, when a friend checks in guests at my place, he always makes people show him their passport, a security precaution I find a bit too careful. However, in your case, this is to be recommended. Always have guests show their passport, so only the person who made the booking will be allowed to enter the house.

I think you misunderstood my post. I live in the house. It’s a shared house. I am here in the house when guests show up. I did greet the guest. Instead of using a key for all of us to enter I have a punch in key lock. The guest brought someone into the house after he arrived. Am I supposed to stand by the door all day to make sure that the person who booked and I already greeted is the same person coming in and out.

Well it is not single occupancy. The room is listed for a max two persons. The problem was not that there was more than one person. The problem was that I was surprised by a guest whom I was not told would be staying here. The guest who booked only booked the room for one person.

Yes, I did misunderstand your post.

However, I assume the original guest was staying with that woman? In that case, since you explicitly state that the room is suitable for two people, I guess you should charge an extra fee for the second guest, plus possibly a penalty fee for trying to cheat you, disregarding the house rules. Other than that, I don’t think there is anything you can, or should, do.

1 Like

She can call Airbnb and have his reservation cancelled and kick both people out if she really wants to. When this same situation has happened to us before, we allow everyone to stay as long as it isn’t over our maximum occupancy and we make them pay for each person. Only one time has someone tried to get out of paying it and we had to threaten to kick them out.