Stranger cakes and button-downs: The things people leave behind on AirBnB

Eek! Two of those stood out as pretty squirm inducing.

most recent left behind by guests:
guava ice cream (they were NOT hispanic)
stouffers macaroni & cheese
cheese
ice tea
tomatoe

I get 420 gifts often because they canā€™t take that stuff out of Colorado.

3 Likes

Multiple food items
Liquor bottles and beer
Unfortunately drugs once

Candles as gifts and cookies

Bags full of documents

Beer (very high quality). I left it in the refrigerator for other guests and they were offering to pay for it. No, please have at it.
Wine.
Uneaten pizzas.
An air mattress. Why?? Thereā€™s sleeping space 8 or moreā€¦
A few albums from music groups that passed through.
A basket full of phone chargers. (A basket because they now reside unclaimed in a basket by the door.)
Various candies.
Lipstick, ChapStick, and perfume.
Soaps and shampoos from hotels.
Lots of underwear in the sheets. (Especially strange when one male books and there are thongs left behind.)
A couple night lights.
A giant dog bone, several pounds in weight, under the bed.
Two coats.
An electric tea kettle.

What are 420 gifts???

I almost always receive a small gift from my guests; Most common something traditional from where they are from (sweets/a book/etc).
It happens so often that I actually thought it was something that airbnb suggests when you make a booking, until I started using airbnb and I saw that they donā€™t.

I always bring a gift to my host when I use airbnb as well.
Usually Italian chocolates.

No One has EVER left anything behind - amazing but true!

well so far, bottles of booze, beer, wine. In the food department always Milk and Juice, fruit some fortune cookies and unused breakfast items. Lots of sunscreens, razors and lotions. I guess because most of my guests leave super early to catch the airport and are international these items get left behind.

I have been left with a beach towel and legs. which I offered to return via mail.

Pot, weed, marijuanaā€¦

We had the Case of the Wandering Nightlight!
A friend gave us a Tropical themed night light to put in the cabana ā€“ itā€™s DARK out there, believe me!

The next guests stayed for a week, and after theyā€™d gone we noticed that the night light was missingā€¦ Huh? Searched high and low thinking that theyā€™d taken it out of the wall and put it somewhere else. No luck. Sent them both private and AirBnB emails. No response. Then, six weeks later, a package arrives, hastily, and poorly wrapped ā€“ containing the wandering light. No note. No explanation. No return address.

3 Likes

No postmark on the mystery package?

LOL! The night light thieves!!! Thatā€™s too funny. Maybe they grabbed it for a souvenir and then had pangs of conscience. Or like us, here in Konaā€¦ they took it off the island and had bad luck and had to mail it back!

2 Likes

Sofar: A electric toothbrush charger, loads of groceries, expansive cooling oil (I donā€™t mind that), scarf, and 1 snow boot. I thought it was my previous guest, so told him he forgot his boot. Was not his. Not sure who it did belong to lol.

Lots of groceries here too ā€” and beer :slightly_smiling:

Styrofoam cooler, great beach chair, (both left deliberately) and several banknotes (from several guests) crumpled under the furniture. Plus a gift card to the local cinema from delightful guests.

Lots of toiletries too. And sunscreen that I left out for future guests.

No snow boots here in South Florida :slight_smile:

Cannabis - It is legal in Colorado, but not the surrounding states. We are near the Utah state line, so often people leave stuff at the Happy Hippie House.

1 Like

This is a funny thread, though I donā€™t have anything to report yet. Does anyone have updates? :slight_smile:

I actually made our dinner last night from groceries that had been left by the guests who checked out in the morning. No additional ingredients required and Iā€™ve still got a gorgeous pineapple that they left :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve lurked for a long time and always wanted to share this story (but too lazy to ever log in) but once I had a 3 week guest and while cleaning I found a HUGE um, vibrator under the bed. But it was so enormous I was incredulous as to how it could ever fit anyone. Anyway I threw it away obviously and 2 weeks after that she emailed me asking if I found her boyfriendā€™s back massager!! Lol, that explained a lot.

4 Likes

Now thatā€™s definitely a laugh-out-loud scenario :slight_smile:

Take home lesson - hang on to vibrators you find under the bed. You never know when their owners will ask for them back. :slight_smile:

1 Like