STOCKING FRIDGE for Guest

Because a lot of people don’t come here with a reusable water bottle, and they want to take water with them when they go out.

If my market would support it I’d have branded reusable water bottles…

1 Like

That’s not strictly true.

We provide bottled water as a matter of necessity, the tap water here (SW Spain) being very high in calcium and other minerals. For folks used to much pleasanter softer water it can taste a bit “funny” and in some cases cause a bit of a runny tummy!

We’re looking into treating our input supply, but haven’t come up with a cost effective solution as yet.

JF

2 Likes

I do this too. The water in the entire Phoenix area is perfectly fit for drinking, but it doesn’t taste very good. I provide one disposable half-liter bottle of water per guest and I have a 5-gallon water dispenser that guests can use to refill the disposables. I always recommend guests take water with them when they go anywhere they’ll be outside very long.

4 Likes

Have you looked into a reverse osmosis systems? They are very reasonable if you’re willing to get all of your drinking water from one faucet in your home.

1 Like

Yep. Problem is its a 250yr old Spanish house with three inputs and effectively four separate apartments, reverse osmosis just isn’t an option.

JF

Could you put one in each apartment? The under-the-sink type units are only US$150 over here.
Plus about $50/year in filters.

We have fourteen sinks.

:disappointed:

JF

1 Like

I think what @Brian_R170 is suggesting is that you put one (1) in each apartment, ideally in the location that would be most convenient for drinking water (i.e. kitchen sink); not at 14 sinks. Your guests would then use that spout for filling up coffee maker, bottles for drinking water, etc.

I have what he describes in my kitchen for cooking and drinking water (smaller goosneck faucet in attached picture). There is a filter located in the cabinet below the sink that gets changed out approximately once a year. The refrigerator has its own filter (for ice).

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. Having only one place in the house to get your drinking water is inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as purchasing bottled water. It’s definitely less expensive than buying disposable bottles of water, too. I can refill the 5-gallon bottles for my water dispenser at the local store for a little less, but the convenience factor probably outweighs the small extra cost.

2 Likes

No, I get what Brian was meaning, however the issue isn’t just with drinking water hence us looking for an overall fix. We get heavy calcification in anything that has mains water running through it (washing machines, dishwashers etc) and it makes cleaning a serious pain. Soap scum mixed with calcium makes for a tough job sometimes getting shower cabinets clean.

Decalcifying products get almost as much shelf space as dishwasher tabs in the supermarkets here!

We need to make some time and work out the best solution, then implement it. Our problem has been too many other mini projects (within the building) that have taken priority.

JF

Well, obviously if there is a problem with the quality of the water supply, I support it.

If you lived in Flint, Michigan in the last 20 years, I would probably also support buying bottled water.

If not, its simply unnecessary, wasteful, and ridiculous, with the knowledge we have about how we have damaged the planet through our excess.

1 Like

Well, I’m sure alot of people that stay at our listing would “like” it if I delivered a pound of our top quality BC weed to their doorstep (I would be much more willing to do that to be honest!), but I don’t cater to every guests ridiculous whim, especially if its wasteful.

With the knowledge we have about the decline of our planet due to selfish human excess, it’s just wrong. :frowning:

2 Likes

I have a Zero water pitcher in the fridge. It’s the best filter ever. It filters everything.

1 Like

I have quickly learned that the fastest way to alienate people is to talk about the impending climate disaster. It’s disheartening.

3 Likes

While I appreciate your passion for the environment, I think you are grossly underestimating the damage that has already been done. There are a whole lot of towns and cities in the U.S. that do not have safe drinking water. Numerous places in the US get caught with water well out of bounds of EPA standards every year. Even my current city which is not even in the “very worse” has water that I wouldn’t drink out of the tap. Additionally, it’s still full of lead pipes, both from the street and in the houses.

We use Brita pitchers with the special lead filter in our apartments but also provide a 5-gallon spring water with a pump in the hallway that all guests are welcome to use. We do provide reusable bottles as well. Our international guests are not as naive about US water quality as most of us are as they almost always ask if they can drink the water from the sink. I tell them they can but that it doesn’t great. I show them the Brita pitcher and .most are happy with that. However, I’ve seen more than one international group filling the Brita pitcher with the spring water, so I think that exemplifies some guest’s concerns.

For us, in our apartment, we have our own 5-gallon spring water with a pump. We don’t drink or cook with the tap water as we have a lot more exposure to it over time than any of our guests would.

When you bring up Flint, it exemplifies how little we can trust the utility companies and the government with our health, which is something I’m as passionate about as the environment.

2 Likes

My biggest problem is that I grew up in an area of Scotland where the tap water is not only drinkable, but used (unfiltered or treated) for making our biggest export, next to people that is.

Consequently, I judge water quality quite stringently.

JF

2 Likes

Well, folks ask me about that all the time, especially since our most popular visitor destination here is Mendenhall Glacier, which is shrinking very rapidly, enough so that the difference from May to September every year is now very evident.
From 2009:

to 2019 (the distance from the old face to the new one is about 1.5 km):

1 Like

Yes, but any water remaining in that wonderful nectar has been distilled! :wink:

As any serious single malt drinker will know, you do need a splash of water to open the whisky. Fortunately, we have very good local tap water, and we now have a distillery, but the first batch of Alaskan single malt (made with Alaskan barley) won’t be ready to taste for another couple of years.

Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, few people want to discuss the consequences. There are people posting here who are thinking of buying homes in US east coast areas on 30 year timelines…uh, good luck with that. But no point in saying anything.