Stay safe US hosts

They are the options you have though. It basically comes down to a decent human vs a indecent human. There is no place in the middle, not voting or voting third party is a vote for the indecent one.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we actually want to dive down in the mud of how “Decent” Joe Biden is. A credible sexual assault charge leads me to believe this guy isn’t the innocent grandpa he’s presented as.

It might be a situation where you have two indecent humans, one of which is better at hiding it than the other.

Unfortunately I think what it boils down to at the end is that 99% of the time, anyone “ambitious” enough to become POTUS (or even close to it) is probably not worthy of your trust.

(Fully recognizing I am not offering any viable alternative here).

Weigh that against the pussy grabber? It is not even close, and that woman has been discredited it is not a credible charge

I am done here

3 Likes

Because lawyers are always dropping credible cases :rofl:

3 Likes

It is called “conditioning,” and “white privilege” in our society and how we were raised unfortunately. I was racially attacked, called racial slurs, profiled, and as a single mom, watched in horror as my 7-year old was also attacked by her peers and even profiled and searched (yes for weapons in her backpack) by her school principal because she was black. She of course, didn’t know what was going on, but told me what happened and asked me why they thought she had a weapon. Yet, the bully, who was white, was not reprimanded for attacking my daughter and her backpack was not searched. This took place in 1992, so although people would like to believe that we have come far in systemic racism, the facts are, we as the US of America, have not :cry:

3 Likes

The cancer is “white privilege.” Most people in our society don’t even realize that the way they were raised: socio-economic background, education, etc. makes them privileged and blinded to the reality that is going on in the lives of their brothers and sisters of color. The difference between the white privileged people that care and the ones that don’t are seen in the thousands of protestors that are marching alongside people of color and the thousands online that are supporting Black Lives Matter and other organizations that are making a difference to make those changes. Watch some of the following movies so you can begin to educate yourself on the “cancer” and begin to understand: Neflix–13th., When They See Us, Age of Rage, Who Killed Malcolm X, Dear White People.

2 Likes

@soflohost Back in 1967, when I was a high school senior, I belonged to a modern dance troupe that was associated with the university and all the other troupe members were university students. The entire troupe was white except for one black man. There was a dance we were going to be performing where we needed to dance in partners. The dance instructor told us that after the break, we were going to choose partners. So I’m in the locker room with the other girls, and they start talking about which one is going to have to dance with the black man. One girl says “I’m not prejudiced, but I just can’t do it”. The other girls chime in and say the same thing. Having grown up in a household where I never heard anything racist, I was totally shocked. Not just that they would not want to dance with him, but that they actually believed that they weren’t prejudiced. I was 17 at the time, and these girls were all older than me, so unfortunately, I was intimidated to call them out on their racism, I just said “Well, you can all relax, because I have no issue with being his partner”.
It was my first experience of seeing racism first-hand, as my family lived in a suburban, middle-America all-white neighborhood.

2 Likes

I recommend Stamped from the Beginning, by Ibram X. Kendi. As a white person who strives to be non-prejudiced, the best way I can describe it is it took my head and gently re-oriented it 180 degrees. Through historical analysis, the book illuminates the process by which a dominant group, generally for economic gain, categorizes another group as “Other,” then assigns “Other” bad characteristics and attributes, and, if they are really successful, get the “Other” to internalize those judgments.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for you having to witness racism firsthand as a teenager. Knowing that you chose to partner with that young man must have made him feel like gold in a moment that could have been very ugly for him. I am sure it gave him hope that there are good people in this world. And that was my point. I am surrounded everyday by statements made from systemic racism by family members and close friends. Makes me want to crawl out of my skin, but then I remember that society breeds this frame of thinking in most Americans. It truly is like a brain washing of sorts. It takes someone that is humble and compassionate to recognize that “they don’t know what they don’t know” and begin to want to make a change for the future of equality for ALL Americans in this country.

Systemic racism is not “ancient” and has existed for hundred of years and still very present in 2020. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!

We have the same problem in the UK, conflated and inflated by politicians outdoing each other during the Brexit campaign. Locally, we have a particular issue with people regarding migrants coming across the English Channel, at great risk, as animals to put it lightly. I’ve even seen one person angrily following an app watching boats and the numbers of migrants landing

I have met people in the pub next door who are impossible to reason with, who are happy to shout me down with a level of aggression that is chilling.

At times I don’t get involved; it’s not worth it as nothing changes. At other times I do call people out. Like the chap who whispered conspiratorially in my ear after the Christchurch massacre that “at least he got the right ones”. Sickening.

The thing is, the black dancer wasn’t privy at all to the racist conversation in the girl’s locker room. So he wouldn’t have even known that I was the only one who had no issue with the skin color of my dance partner. I was so glad he didn’t have to hear what these girls had said. But it led me to realize that he did likely face discrimination that was blatantly obvious to him in his day-to-day life.
I wasn’t a stranger to discrimination myself, having grown up in a Jewish family. While I never personally experienced discrimination, my grandparents were all from Eastern Europe and Russia and had lost family to the gas chambers. While racism against people of color wasn’t evident in my family, there was most definitely a bias against Germans. My family refused to buy any product made in Germany. My father held that bias all his life until he was forced to re-examine it when one of his nephews married a German girl. He then realized it was unfair to hold an entire nationality responsible for the actions of the Nazis 60 years before.

I agree completely with your point. It is vital to understand the history of systemic racism. It has existed in the United States for hundreds of years and is still very present. I also have children of color, who’ve been raised to be “American”, nevertheless we are all influenced by the history. This is why it’s so vital to understand the HISTORY of racism as it pertains to politics and party in this country, how the powerful have used race to divide, to advanced themselves. As we all know, two parties fought over slavery prior and leading up to the Civil War, with the Democrat party coming down firmly on the side of slavery, and the Republican party founded to end slavery. Fortunately, during the Civil War the good side won. (sidebar: my daughter had been told growing up, the -R party is racist, but when she learned the -D party was the party of slavery, she told me she won’t register with EITHER party. Good for her!)… During the days of segregation, the same Democrat party established systemic segregation laws in many parts of the country, especially in the South. Following segregation, the Democrat party took firm political control over most major US cities. Did you know, Democrats have had a unopposed power on monopoly in the city of Minneapolis, where this horrible and brutal police brutality and killing of George Floyd occurred, for 60 years. Over 2 generations. Think about it for a moment. One party rule in the city where this killing occurred, and where system police brutality has been going on, for 6 decades. The same is true of other single party cities where recent cases of police killing of unarmed black men has happened. Case in point Chicago, where the mayor Rahm Emanuel actually tried to cover it up. There is an HBO documentary about this event. Also true for NYC, and many many others. For sure, some soul searching needs to be done and honest conversation needs to be had.

1 Like

Wanna buy a paragraph?

JF

2 Likes

Sure. How much do you charge?

€5 Amazon gift card per post.

Alternatively, for a one off €20 Amazon gift card I’ll show you where the return key is on any keyboard.

JF

2 Likes

How much to explain when to use it?

2 Likes

Come on, you can lead a finger to a key, but it’d take a greater man than me to make it actually press the key.

This is a location only service, not a full advisory and action package.

JF

2 Likes

How much for a “thumbs up”, with a bunch of “20s” to fill out the space?