Stained towels are becoming the norm rather than the exception...sigh

I’ve had to retire at least one, if not several more, towels from every single one of my last six guests.

What is with people? Is there something in the air?

This is just a rant. Carry on.

I have yellow and red towels to go with decor. White is just a no way, no how. Not at my price point.

I use all white towels and bed linens for the airbnb rental. Yes, they’re stained by some guests but the stains, , including hair dye and blood, come out with a couple of products a friend told me about:
Grandma’s Stain Remover or Grandma’s Secret Spot Remover. If one doesn’t work, the other one does.
Expensive ( about Can $50 a bottle, from Amazon,) I’ve now heard Walmart sells them for much less.
Because very little of the product needs to be used on a stain, the cost is offset by obviating the need to ditch and replace stained items.
Just put a few drops on the stain, scrub it in with a toothbrush, leave for about an hour and then throw the towel or sheet in the wash.
Even old stains come out!
And, it’s non-toxic.

1 Like

No white towels here, either. And in two years, nary a stain. Maybe somehow we don’t attract “stainers”…

1 Like

Astralita, thanks for the tips! I am going to pick some up this week!

I use all white towels and have been for the 4 months I have been hosting. I examine each towel before throwing it in the wash. If I see something that looks like it might be a stain, I pre-soak in oxyclean while the unstained ones wash and then throw the possibly stained ones in the next load on heavy duty clean with another scoop of oxyclean and a splash of bleach. So far I haven’t had to retire too many towels to my own use and chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

After guests checked out a few weeks ago, I went into the house and found $20 on the table. At first I thought it was a nice tip. Then I found one of my white towels that looked like it had red Kool Aide spilled all over it. Then about 2 hours later I get a text from the guest letting me know her hair dye had come out on the towel and she hoped the $20 was enough to cover the replacement but to let her know if I needed more. I thanked her for solving the mystery of the red towel and didn’t mention it in my review. As it turned out, a soak in oxyclean and through one wash cycle and it came out just fine!

1 Like