Smokers who lie and say they non smokers

Not really, at least not that I am aware of. I am sure it exists but my place doesn’t seem to draw that demographic.

1 Like

How do you manage this You can of course make any number of requirements but how do you enforce it?

1 Like

As mentioned, I get it in writing that they are non-smokers and they sign the contract and initial house rules once they book. I had one guest that I caught red handed smoking right in front of my house and I mentioned the non-smoking rule. They were very embarrassed. I made light of it but had there been any carry over, having the paper trail that they said they were non-smokers, the documents signed by them agreeing to my house rules and then the camera footage of them smoking, it would be a heck of a lot easier to get airbnb or homeaway to not refund the deposit had there been second hand smoke residue. I can’t enforce that people take off their shoes at the door but it doesn’t keep me from asking! :slight_smile:

1 Like

AirBnB do not charge a Deposit.

That doesn’t mean you can’t make a claim against a deposit if you have set one up with Airbnb @Como

of course you can make a claim, if you have evidence, invoices etc.

What would you do in my case?
I have a no smoking rule for my separate entrance Air suite. I do find cigarette butts on the lawn where my secret smokers have thrown them off the entrance deck. I’ve had to shoo my dogs away from picking them up, chewing them (toxic!) a few times when I haven’t found them immediately. Also I can imagine a lit butt landing on some dry leaves in the fall (guest tosses butt over their shoulder as they leave, I’m at work, my conflagrating house ends up on the 11:00 news) – unlikely but possible.
How rude not to put your butts in a soda can or something and in the trash bin on your way out.
So – I was thinking of putting one of those tall butt cans on the deck. But would that just encourage them? Sigh.

@dpfromva Do you have a no smoking on the property rule? If not, make one. Then get security cameras on the exterior and when you find butts check the footage for the smoking. Then you have the method to prove they smoked and can have their reservation canceled. It depends on how important it is to you I suppose.

It’s tough to deal with. I had some smokers empty their butts into a plastic bag and that plastic bag was put into my bathroom trash can. I had to empty the trash, wash the plastic bin, put baking soda in it, leave it outside to air, then rinsed and febreezed it and it still had a slight smell. So I had to put it outside a few days and use a substitute bin. Also some smokers make the whole room smell even if they don’t smoke on your property.

I detest smoking. I have a “no smoking” sign as one of my listing pics and a no smoking inside rule. But since I can’t really control what people do off my property I just leave it at that and hope for the best. Luckily I have few smokers.

@KKC - I have in my house rules that they may not bring their butts into the house for disposal. It’s part of the “No Smoking” rule.

1 Like

Say what?! … :grin:

I was about to go to bed but now I have to wait until my giggle fit is over. . :laughing: