Smart speakers treated as surveillance

And therefore it’s always listening, like a butler in the dining room corner, only activating when summoned, but hearing everything all the dining room guests are saying, regardless.

1 Like

Yes, this must be true.

But – and I don’t want to debate this – my understanding is that the privacy protections from an Apple device are different (and ‘better’) than an Alexa device. I didn’t probe on that, just took his word.

I can say – because I have a HomePod mini in my unit, that I don’t receive messages from FB or others that appear related to conversations I have or things I have asked the HomePod mini to do.

I did look this up once and I came away with a sense that there was a positive privacy difference for an Apple vs an Alexa device, though I also got the impression that it’s not an open and shut case. [I think it might have to do with what is saved on Apple servers?]

Our home was built without wall switches for the bedroom lights. So I have at least one floor lamp that’s plugged into a smart plug and controlled by Alexa. Thirty years ago I would have used “The Clapper” for the same purpose.

Just found this thread, which appears to go back to to 2019.

To confirm: has anyone actually had AirBnB remove a listing due to the presence of a modern Alexa/Google/Sir-enabled device?

As a reminder, that’s more than just Echos/HomePods/etc, but smart TVs, Sonos speakers, Hue light bulbs, thermostats, security systems, and many others.