Six Figure AirBnB?

Only bummer C, is that I can’t stop improving the darn place; closing island this June 15th-July 15th for an upstairs lookout bar and an enclosed swimming area with a cool white sand beach leading into it. Four previous guests are coming to do it with me, be fun. Money: easy comes, easy goes. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m thinking gross revenue… After that we all have different situations.

RE LOSING ONE’S ABILITY TO DO AIRBNB: Here are a few alternatives: Rent to ESL STUDENTS …1 week, 2 week, 4 week programs --the students pay well to stay with a “host” family. In santa barbara some home owners are receiving $1000 per month to room and board a foreign student enrolled in English Language schools Also can rent to regular college students or visiting professors. Also can rent to visiting nurses who rotate around the country. Just a few ideas.

1 Like

@taratree How would this be any different than short term rentals? I believe the code in SF/LA are written as such that ANY rental under 30 days is considered short term and therefore not allowed without permits/licenses? Just because you are not advertising, does not make it okay to rent for less than 30 days.

HIS :wink:

Would love to see your listing!

That is beautiful country; I spend quite a few years calling turkeys in that country.

Our listings:

1 Like

How very enterprising of you; the tents and chuck wagons are awesome. They both have a lot more charm then the truck campers we brought (I spend 24 years in Prescott, AZ).

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. It will evolve as we progress. We envision natural building structures such as very traditional earth and log Navajo hogans, sandstone cabins that blend into the environment, straw bale tiny cabins, and even desert modern utilizing shipping containers. It’s truly a blank canvas and we get to paint. We wish to have high end accommodations as well as for the budget traveler. The latter can be achieved by hammock hotel or an outdoor version of the Japanese “coffin hotel.” We are a working sheep ranch as well. This appeals to many. Farm stays, etc. Very familiar with Prescott. Lovely area.

2 Likes

Oooh, I got an idea, ok granted is a wild one, but bare with me a sec. We were ‘forced’ to spend 3 days in an abandoned bat cave in Lake Powell canyon; we ran out of gas miles from the put-in place, a mean 3-day frigid snowstorm hit us, had to find a cave high up the canyon wall, and built a bonfire to survive and I will never, ever forget that little cave. Had to fashion sails out of our clothing to make the 12 miles back. Which leads my twisted imagination to: imagine a little place carved on the side of a cliff, a la ‘cliff dwelling’, with a latter and everything. Overlooking a beautiful river or valley. I have stumbled on such hidden places in that country.

I have also stayed in such a place in Spain when I was a kid, but can’t remember the small town, where the homes are carved into the sides of cliffs. Perhaps @azreala or @magalachica know the Spanish town.

Just a wild thought.

2 Likes

Not crazy at all, Mearns. In fact we’ve discussed this very thing. Check this guy out in New Mexico.

1 Like

How interesting, the man is a true artist! I simply love the unusual.

The world is a better place because of people like this.

1 Like

I got this alert while I was having tapas with a friend and I was trying to explain to her that this man with an island, that I met in a hosting forum, wants to go to host an air bnb bat cave! Needless, to say, it did not translate so well! :joy:

4 Likes

Hahaha. Not a bat cave, a cliff-dwelling; you threw me under the bus az! LoL

1 Like

Now im confused!! You mentioned bat cave!? The cliff dwelling and bat cave are seperate adventures?? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

To have your life @Mearns :+1:t3:

1 Like

I barely get close to 20k renting two rooms year round with no more than 5 days without booking per month. I envy those 6 figure hosts.

It is a full time job

1 Like

Awesome! THis is such a great accomplishment at his age