Signs, logos, and door identity

Food for thought

I got by my HOA rules for condo numbering signage by placing this on my glass storm door

And I think I may place the Airbnb logo (no text so maybe Airbnb haters are less likely to say something) on a lower corner of the dorm door

1 Like

That was fun. I didnā€™t get all of them which was frustrating because the logos were soooooo familiar

2 Likes

Not fun for me. I didnā€™t like removing all doubt that Iā€™m dumb.

Oopsā€¦I meant this in answer to @Mike_L

2 Likes

not dumb, just not as brainwashed

1 Like

You did much better than me!

Zoning rules or specific STR regulation may forbid external signage such as logos in residential areas.

In addition, would HIGHLY recommend (if external signage is permitted) to skip the AirBNB logo and go with your own branding.

If you rent exclusively with Airbnb how does putting your own brand on the door aid the guest in finding the correct door to enter?

1 Like

Because an Air logo promotes Air, not yourself.

You might leave the platform. The platform might leave you.

It suggests too close of a relationship to one platform, vs. diversification.

Your own brand brands you, not a flaky corporation.

1 Like

I have no interest in promoting my guest room myself. For some people your advice is sound, no doubt. My preferred style of hosting is dependent on a platform, for the foreseeable future thatā€™s Airbnb. Iā€™m also talking about an investment of 50 cent to $15 to buy or make an Airbnb logo for the exterior door.

@KKC

Like you, currently Airbnb is my only platform. I am considering adding another (Housfy or Booking.com or to-be-determined; that would be conversation for another thread)

I like the idea of having A4in x 4 in (10cm x 10 cm) Airbnb logo on the lower corner of my storm door. Iā€™m not worried about the what-ifs because:

1. It is easily removed if I leave Airbnb
  2. If I use an additional booking service, I will probably stay with Airbnb & have multiple listing services.
  3. Iā€™m not trying to promote my brand, only provide an easy way to help guests recognize my door. The guest booked through Airbnb so having the Airbnb logo seems logical.
1 Like

Exactly!

I donā€™t know how many late arrivals go to the wrong door even though I have specifically messaged each one of them that itā€™s ā€œon the left as you enter the gated porch.ā€ The other day I apparently left my front door unlocked so she came into my part of the house but didnā€™t wake me or disturb the dogs. Iā€™m not sure how far into the home she came before thinking it didnā€™t match the place she had reserved. I wouldnā€™t have known at all had she not told me the next morning. Obviously I should lock my door but I also donā€™t want people banging around on it trying to open it or ringing the doorbell. So a small sign attached to the door on the left might help.

1 Like

We wanted a sign that would stake in the ground in front of a path light, and found many options to choose from at plaquemaker.com/. The design and proofing process was easy. Ours has the name of our bnb with an arrow.

I used a local songwriter to do the signs - small roadside ones, front door sign, gate sign. Sometimes small jobs are easy for them to knock out from off cuts of signboard also. And you can design it up yourself or get help - sometimes fiver can be good if you donā€™t want to design it yourself.

Some may think you have another kind of business youā€™re running :rofl:. ha ha! :

Seriously though, I do wonder how many guests will recognize the symbol as Airbnb without the actual words. If it had Airbnb underneath the symbol then that would be very effective but just the symbol itself may not be enough.
https://goo.gl/images/Z56MDi

1 Like

@Mike_L

Great article. Thank you for sharing.

HOA rules govern signage in the neighborhood so I want to avoid text. I think I can get away with a small symbol. Plus I want to avoid the actual text of ā€œAIRBNBā€

Maybe I will use some other symbolā€¦to be determined.

I do think some kind of signage is INVALUABLE for guests arriving at a new strange place.

For my interior rooms, I have made framed chalkboards that say

WELCOME
(name of guest)
:arrow_right::arrow_right::arrow_right::arrow_right:
(name of suite)

You cut with a jigsaw a 2x4ā€™ piece chalkboard to fit a salvaged frame from a thrift store.

Home Depot: 2x4 Chalk Board

Then put your message in markers.

Another approach:

Frugal Homemaker: How to make a DIY chalkboard from an old picture frame

Or instead of drawing an arrow, cut out or buy an arrow shape.

00%20AM

If you look at the website AirBnB has an entire project or used to that AirBnB actually encourages anyone to use the logo and modify it for their listing. We use a honey bee with the AirBnB logo as the wings. Thereā€™s no infringement issue.

Poor manā€™s version, print it out and run it through my laminator, hang it on the door, repeat when it becomes weatherbeaten.

I did something similar. I have a metal security door so I printed out a logo and put in in a clear, frameless picture frame that has a magnet on the back. When I have a new guest I put it on the outside of the door. If I have a repeat guest or no guest I take it off since I donā€™t like my home to look like a place of business.