Significant discount for longer term stay

I had once A Brazilian guest who said exact the same thing abound how American $ is so high, negotiated with me last 5$ and then sent to my address 39 parcels that he ordered online and shopped non stop for 3 days.

3 Likes

One thing that Airbnb hosts should be aware of is that in some places such as California where I live, if a guest stays for longer than 30 days the guest becomes a tenant with the rights of a tenant. In California this means that the host needed to evict the guest legal eviction proceedings would have to be followed. Also, in Los Angeles under certain circumstances when a tenancy is terminated the landlord must pay relocation fees to the tenant.

1 Like

Scary…This is why I only do a max of three weeks.

This is the same in the UK. So my understanding is that if the tenant stays for 29 nights, then departs for at least one night, and returns on a new agreement that there is no tenancy right.

Would be obliged if anyone could confirm or deny this wrt UK property law.

I changed my stays to 4 night, max. Imagine if needy guests were staying longer, I think id go out of my mind :wink: lol
I used to do max stay 14 nights, but we got many guests moving here, so they werent out all the time touring, instead it was stressful and tense, as they were basically trying to find a place to live and used the kitchen a lot. I suppose longer stays is okay in a whole apt, but sharing a space aint to hot.

I have never checked laws about longer stays, probably because I prefer the tourists. However I know if you live in rented property then you have to consult the landlord if letting a room out.

1 Like

This is an old story but the nightmare still applies…http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Squatters-don-t-sit-well-with-Airbnb-hosts-5631952.php

Yana,

How are all of these people getting their packages back to Brazil, and other countries? Do they have everything shipped to your house, and then they load up everything in suitcases? And then they get charged from the airlines for extra bags?

Yes they had everything shipped to my house. Then they unpacked everything and made huge mess on my driveway with boxes everywhere:. Then they bought additional luggage ( they came with 2, left with 4). I know, I am not doing this anymore. When he asked I thought he was talking about couple boxes, but then for 2 weeks UPS banged on my door several times a day, every day.

Yana you have really had your share of winners!!!

Yes i did:). But I kind of expected it. I am actually surprised that it happens so not often. And everything so far goes smooth most times. After my cooks, no one even comes close to my kitchen. I have the nicest guests one after another. Now I have a couple staying for 6 nights, she said it was the best stay they ever had with Airbnb. So far so good:)

2 Likes

Agreed Yana… but please don’t recommend that people open their kitchens - when you have experiences like yours (or mine, when people were allowed to sit in and have some coffee, and wound up staying for hours lounging in my only ‘private’ area) you soon see that everyone’s needs and boundaries must be respected.

1 Like

I am not recommending, Bob, that’s whati said: everyone has right to put whatever rule they want for the use of amenities. I have my rules of the use of the kitchen also: limited cooking only. I think there is a big difference between having tea and toast ona. Kitchen and full blown gourmet cooking.
My opinion is if you don’t want people to enter your kitchen at all, at least there should be a tea pot or coffee maker in their room. And may be a small fridge.

2 Likes

Yes of course, and noted.

1 Like

Original Poster, the challenges you may find are these:

1. Quite a number of hosts won’t take bookings that long
  2. the hosts that do offer long term rates already, are unlikely to drop the published rates much further, as they have usually set them after analyzing what is in the market and what they can reasonably expect - if not from you, from someone else
  3. I have personally realised that hosting long term leads to greatly increased utilities (water, electricity, garbage, etc) in comparison to short term guests. The main benefit is not having to constantly change sheets and welcome guests, but that benefit can quickly be lost if the long term price dips below a certain point!
  4. You may find that it is difficult to get good listings free for an entire month, unless the booking is made very long in advance, and you would still take the risk of the host canceling, if they negotiated a very low rate, and realised it, thereafter.

However, there are discounts to be had, but the best way to get them would be to get listings with brand new hosts with no reviews, and are just eager for the business. You can get a good deal that way, but without the comfort of reviews, you of course take the risk that you’ll end up in a not so nice place, or worse!

3 Likes

We offer weekly discount at 20% off our daily rates. We also offer monthly rates but it varies depending on the suite and or time of the year. We have one townhouse that is more difficult for us to service as it is a bit further - that one we offer at 45% of daily rates (it still comes to $2700+/month). Some other suites we will offer at 30% but only during the slow period. At our B&B location we do not offer any monthly rates at all.
Our rates and discounts are clearly displayed on our personal website and we will not discount any further at all.

1 Like

Lots of turnover is far more of a moneymaker for me than long term guests. I get paid a cleaning each time. If I have a turnover every three days, that is an additional $255 minus Air’s fee. No benefit to long term hosting really, except for getting paid that wad up front. Plus, if they are bad guests you are stuck with them, as some hosts who post here have sadly learned the hard way.

1 Like

Hi EllenN :smile:

I offer discount for weekly and monthly bookings, simply because I like the young students around…
Most of them are attending language courses or an overseas semester here, and are happy to be living with a family…
That aside, asking for a discount in exchange for work I would suggest to direct them to helpX.com, a website which introduces hosts and helpers, exchanging room and board for ca 4 hours of work per day…

Ideal for people who travel on a tight budget and can’t afford airbnb
greetings, Susanne

for a month, there should be a discount. However, you might want to check VRBO.com which is geared for longer stays.

Sorry, but that is not an accurate statement. Although some people on there may indeed prefer longer stays the site itself is not geared to longer stays.