Should we charge extra if a guest brings a pet?

We’ve had a pet stay (not on their own though🙄) and the aftermath was enough hair to create small rug!
It takes nearly 5 hours to turn around our barn for the next guests normally. We charge a cleaning fee of £35. The barn is approx the size of a large two bed bungalow (single story building) and used exclusively by our guests.
We have been allowing pets (max 2 dogs) and not charging an extra premium. When pets stay there is the extra work of cleaning (especially in the moulting season) and occasionally clearing up their poo.
Do other hosts who allow pets charge any extra, and if so on a per day or stay and how much?

Yes. In my very small guest suite it’s $15 per night per pet but I discount for multiple nights and multiple pets. So for a two night two dog stay I’d charge $40. If the stay were longer there would be more discount. That’s on top of my $15 a night cleaning fee I added since I reopened in July. Some pets hardly leave a trace, others are more problematic but it evens out just like it does with people. I find cats to be just as irritating as dogs because litter gets scattered and their fine hair seems to still be settling on things two days later. I also provide a cheap IKEA fleece throw and tell the guest to spread it on the bed or floor for their pup and then take it with them since there is no way to get all the hair off them.

I charge $20 per night per dog (2 dog max ), I have a 2 night minimum so it can add up. I based this on what it costs me to board my dog, at the time it was $20 per night but it went up to $22 maybe I should raise my rates
I hate that Air does not allow a pet charge though. I have stopped asking for them to pay through the resolution center because its a pain to keep up with. Now I just tell them to leave cash and everyone has so far.

I have it in my house rules to inquire before booking if they are bringing a pet, only about 1/2 do. I often will reduce the pet fee when they inquire first especially if they have 2 dogs and are staying 3-4 days. I never reduce it for the people who IB without inquiring.

I leave a doggie themed fleece blanket from Wal Mart for them to keep (thanks for that tip @KKC) and put out the water bowl and fill it for them.

RR

1 Like

Good job.

I also leave poop bags on a little keyring thing with small flashlight. I know @RiverRock is out in the woods so no need for him to do that but if someone else is reading this and looking for tips, there you go. If someone is bringing a cat I also leave a small dustpan and broom and extra garbage bag so they can empty their litter box and hopefully sweep up spilled litter. Finally, all guests with pets get a sticky roller left in the room.

Thanks KKC, that’s really helpful. Particularly discounting for more than one at.
We’ve found the type of breed also makes a difference, not just shedding and not shedding types, but (after a particularly messy stay) we don’t accept any breeds associated with hounds. They have oily fur which marks soft furnishing! Also we are wary of puppies and prefer owners of them to bring a dog cage for them to seep in. The throw away towel is also a great idea.

1 Like

Thanks RiverRock. I didn’t know air doesn’t allow pet charges. I guess its down to getting agreement to the extra cost and then collecting it once the guest arrives? We were thinking of charging £10 per night and discounting it to £5 for any extra nights and even more discount if they stay 4 days or over.
We also get guests to confirm before accepting a booking that they agree to our pet rules. That said once inside we know dogs go on soft furnishing and beds!

Depending on the dog, I’d say that cats actually require more clean up than dogs. A dog that’s a light shedder and doesn’t get up on the furniture, and doesn’t scratch at doors, etc, and doesn’t have any accidents inside would leave much less of a clean-up than cats, which always sleep on the furniture, generally use a litter box, and tend to use table legs as scratching posts unless provided with something suitable.

1 Like

Well, good luck with that. I board dogs in my home but I’m not an expert. I have had hundreds of dogs in my home. Not a lot of “hounds,” a handful of beagles and mixes but I haven’t noticed any correlation between breed and oily coat. Maybe it was just certain individuals? Or a different chararacteristic in UK hounds?

Anyway of the dozens of pets I’ve hosted in my Airbnb (I’m guessing over 80) I have only had issues with a handful. So overall the bookings I might not otherwise get and the extra fees make it worth it. Plus I’m prejudiced in favor of people who travel with their pets. I also get people who are moving cross country. But they tend to be one nighters and I have no “soft furnishings” aside from the bed. Every host is a little different.

It’s not that they prohibit it, it’s that they don’t build it in. So you have to charge separately either send a special offer, send through the resolution center or do something like cash. What is part of their official policy is not allowing charges for pet damage. However I’ve gotten payments from honest guests twice when their pet had an issue.

1 Like

I do that as well, it’s dark in the woods and I do not want to pick up dog logs.

RR

1 Like