Should I Mention This in the Review

Do you really have this many problems with your guests? There are dozens of longtime hosts here on the forum, and these things seem to happen to them…rarely, or never.

Perhaps taking their advice to heart would help…?

1 Like

Not with 90% of my guests.
10% do not read instructions, communicate well, or even read the listing.
You are right this is the small minority but the problem is, it is increasing more and more people expect the host to be on call

2 Likes

As a guest in a foreign country, I had cellular coverage that was working on everything but the AirBnB app was not loading ANYTHING and I could not send messages to ask the host for help … and I could not re-read the directions to the house or get anything beyond a very general description of where it was (the address was irrelevant because the entrance had some tricks to it and it was a big spread-out historic building). I panicked and tried very hard to get on some local WiFi to get it to load and still nothing. Facebook? iMessage? All working find. AirBnB was blank and spinning. So frustrating. I’m not the type to print out volumes of hard copies of reservations and instructions with photos when I’m traveling and have a few different accommodations in different cities, so I definitely can relate to some of the idiotic things that our guests do. The app is really not all that great when you need something quick.

1 Like

Just put it in your saved messages templates, there is one there that is already preformatted for the Wifi info.

Even though I do not have Wifi as an amenity, I have this card filled out and I send it as part of every confirmation process. It says,

Wifi Network Name: None. You can provide your own mobile hotspot using [only provider] service only. No other service to property. Free wi-fi available at [Town] Library 1 mile up the road.
Wifi Password: Not applicable

I send this in case they failed to read the numerous other places our amenity limitations are spelled out so they have it right at the start of their full refund window. I want to make dang sure they know what they are not getting.

1 Like

AlexSJ - Wow way to harsh. Hosts should not insult other hosts, rather give informative, clear and helpful remedies. I realise we are in the industry of hospitality, but I would like to point out that guests need to take responsibility for themselves and not expect hosts to spoon feed them. We don’t earn that much money to warrant more work from lazy guests. House manuals are there to be read whatever font, index system is used. Sticking notes on fridges looks unprofessional in my opinion.
Al

1 Like

No it’s not, she’s bang on and it is a an informative, clear and helpful remedy she has suggested.

As small cogs (most of us) within the hospitality industry we earn our money from ALL guests, good, bad and indifferent.

Some guests require more work, some don’t. In my experience, the minority who require a bit of extra work are that, a minority; and all the others who simply book, pay, arrive, depart without any drama’s make up for them.

We know some guests don’t read listings/instructions/house manuals etc and it’s not that they are lazy, it’s not that they are bad guests, it’s just human nature.

Maybe if some hosts looked at their processes from a guests perspective, and realised that simple = better, e.g. WiFi info on the fridge, we would have less pissing contests over basic, simple stuff that not only detracts from a guests overall experience, but appears to cause extreme grief and stress for the hosts.

On the basis that every day is a school day, I’m in the process right now of making a laminated A3 card with our WiFi details (currently in house manual) that I’m going to put on the back of the entrance doors. Or maybe on the fridge…

JF

3 Likes

I do the same. WiFi and PW in frame on desk.

1 Like

I have mine online on Airbnb, as the first thing on the guest info sheet and in a stand up plastic picture frame by the bedside. Since there’s no lounge space I figure the first thing people do is flop down on the bed and either turn on the TV or log into the wi-fi.

If I had a bigger space I’d include it in the check in message.

It is not only the guest that made the reservation that needs the wifi; it is pretty much everybody in their group that will need it.

Make it simple, keep it simple.

1 Like

I had to smile when I read this - as a non-techie person I stumbled over several items in your short post -
“Accessible modem” What is that?
“scan the barcode” No clue how to do that
“Whatasapp?” - heard of it, never saw or used it

I’d say it was because I’m older but not THAT old, just not very tech savy and I suspect many of our guests are like me.

2 Likes

Only if they have a key or break in through the front door in which case knowing my wifi password is the least of my problems.:thinking::roll_eyes:

3 Likes