Should I Mention This in the Review

@AlexSJ No, I didn’t know it looked like this. When I’ve been on the guest side, I’ve read and digested the details before I left home. I guess the reality is that more and more, folks have only a mobile device and not necessarily both that and a laptop. Ty

2 Likes

Every Airbnb host would benefit immensely from using Airbnb as a guest and using both the app and computer so they realize what the guests have to deal with.

7 Likes

This. I haven’t read to the end of the thread but really? It’s your job to make sure that guests can check in easily.

You “caved” and sent him the info? This makes no sense to me.

6 Likes

Thanks for your insights. I joined this community a few weeks ago and read a lot of back-threads. Several other hosts put high value on us reviewing our guests honestly for the sake of other our fellow hosts. What I’m getting from the answers is that this guest should not be said of him that he didn’t read the info in either the ABB reservation details or the welcome info sent to him 2 days prior. Duly noted. Won’t be mentioned. This is resolved now for me.

1 Like

No I’d just mark him down 1 star on Communication since he kept you up.

2 Likes

I have a card near the front door with some basic instructions and the first one is wifi password. A friend of mine who travels for work and uses AirBnB says it is the first thing she wants to see when she walks through the door and needs to check her emails.

2 Likes

Not to mention the very detailed questions they ask guests about their stay afterwards that don’t appear on your stats.

2 Likes

Wow I hope you never host me. Just text the stinking wifi code already.

RR

6 Likes

This comes back to the eternal issue of people not reading the listing, the rules, the check in instructions… before their trip.

It’s good you send this 2 days before but people are finishing up work and taking the dog to the kennel and doing all the stuff you have to to before leaving on holiday they just don’t read it or even download it.

I think you have to expect to have some interaction on arrival day with most people!

Another part of your problem was that this is happening late st night- so maybe update checkin rules and make cutoff time earlier?

3 Likes

It’s primitive, it’s not techie, and it makes generalised assumptions about people not reading things online, but this works for me: typed, printed and laminated little notices giving the wifi information AND a line about where in the house it doesn’t work, placed in the sitting room and the bedrooms. And yes, I know it’s all in the information I send out before arrival, but it costs nothing to be helpful to guests who may have travelled a long way and arrive tired and not in the mood to start navigating the online information. I know I sound smug, but really I’m a guest at heart…

5 Likes

No, it doesn’t make you sound smug, it simply makes you the kinda host I’d be happy to be a guest with.

JF

3 Likes

Airbnb has specific place for putting wifi info on the guest can access thru airbnb,

If you have accessible modem they can scan the barcode on the side and automatically connects their phone?

Maybe send whatsapp or text with wifi password day before trip?

1 Like

Like many of you here, I have found that people don’t look for or don’t find the info posted online. I recently read a host’s post stating an opinion that some redundancies don’t hurt. That made sense to me and gave me license to include select info in more than one place. At the same time I’ve stayed in Airbnb’s plastered with rude signs and that isn’t the answer either. I now have a print “house manual” with A-Z contents that I point people to upon their arrival for wifi codes and other key information. I offer to email a pdf version of the host manual in advance. While relatively few people take me up on that, it satisfies a need for those who want it. Communication remains one of our greatest challenges as hosts. We are all busy and want to receive succinct and timely communications, but as hosts we know there are things we need to convey to ensure a safe and satisfactory stay.

2 Likes

I have found the same as you. People don’t read the Airbnb stuff, they don’t have the Airbnb app on their phone, the airbnb redacted emails to to their spam because Airbnb has send them dozens of unsollicited ads they had no choice but to put all airbnb to spam.
That is why like you I also send them a PDF file (about 60% of guests read this)
and I leave a copy of that PDF file at the property.
It is well organized and redacted with a table of contents.
I also enable informal communication by phone chat so they can text or call me with questions, especilly useful on arrival day.

2 Likes

me too but what to do if they don’t read it and don’t respond?

They’ll respond, eventually.

so obviously you don’t live in center city or an area where neighbors or intruders can come by and just jump on your wifi?

I think you missed the word “password” there, dear.

Yeh at 11 pm on Sunday night and then leave a bad review because we were not there to meet them.

your card has wifi password on it? it is visible next to your front door?