Service dog arrived without notice--right to be irked?

In most countries, allowing access for service dogs is part of the law of the land. This is so that the blind and disabled have the same rights of access to public places, businesses, restaurants, banks and so on.

It’s not a random law that advertising platforms such as Airbnb have invented.

Are you a homeshare host or is your place separate? Those two comments above seem to contradict each other. If it’s a separate place then you can’t discriminate against people with disabilities - and that includes their assistance dogs.

3 Likes

There is no requirement to not have a service dog bark. My Trainer who is helping my dog become a Service dog is allowed to bark, in fact it is necessary based on the specific skills he is being taught for my condition.

2 Likes

@ muddy if hosts use Airbnb then they know that one of its policies is that as hosts we need to accept service animals. This is also the local law in some countries

So this carries with it the risk that it means we will never be able to guarantee our place is free of animal hair.

I have asthma and am triggered by some animals mainly cats and some dogs so know first hand what it’s like to have my allergies triggered by pets and service animals.

Luckily Labrador’s which are the animals in the UK mainly being developed as service animals for those who are seeing impaired/hard of hearing don’t trigger my allergies

2 Likes

You would be exempt under airbnbs service animal policy from having to accept a service animal if you have your own dog in a shared home situation @Newmanbell

Nowhere did I say you couldn’t ask those questions post a guest booking- what I said is you can’t add in the last comment in your statement .

That is tge law, meaning a person does not have to disclose a service animal. My son who is my partner has spent years volunteering with special needs individuals during winter recreation. What he said impressed me, “they get enough grief over their situation in their life time to warrant this protection and our understanding”. So it’s better we err on the side of caution and the law!

4 Likes

I am in agreement with you.

That is terrible! Long term impacts of the dog coming along. Reading all the posts , sounds like there could be some abuses of the service dog policy.
Some people asked to bring two cats once. To my essentially one room air bnb. I said no, of course.

As a disabled person I don’t feel I need to give a host a “heads up” in advance even though one host felt the need to “warn other hosts” that I was using crutches something I had worked out was okay asking her how many steps there were into the unit without needing to give her my medical history. I am sure someone with a service animal thinks differently about it than someone with a pet. They probably like to get through life thinking about their disability as little as possible, and hope able bodied people are understanding and keep their opinions to themselves. I am still a bit shocked when people feel they have a right to ask me why I only have one leg! Not saying you are like that but I would let this pass. It doesn’t happen often, and you just create the environment where a disabled person feels like they are the ones on the outside who have to fit in with the needs of able bodied people and their challenging lives when everything is not perfect. Put yourself in their shoes, or, in my case, shoe.

6 Likes

My motto: “There are no bad dogs, just bad owners”.

Though I make an exception for the two corgis which howled in unison at 1am.

1 Like

Exactly - disabled people shouldn’t have to go through life accomodating the neuroticism of those able bodied people who feel their own lives should be perfect or they collapse.

3 Likes

My position always remains, if you have the documents for a support animal please present them. I’m in Florida so we are the wild south😎. I have managed to deter this thus far.

The support animal must be with you 24/7 otherwise what’s the point of a support animal?

Why do ya question providing an honest review? An honest review can be polite yet honest.

The fact that hosts fear providing an honest and diplomatic review is why we are being discounted by both AirBnB and our guests. I won’t do it.

I personally, will not accept a guest until they commit to my policies. In writing. Ima SuperHost for over 3 years… I take no shit:)

This is not permitted under the law or Airbnb policy.

I don’t.

2 Likes

What irks me is all the bad/wrong/immoral/policy violating advice given here regarding service animals several times a year, year after year.

7 Likes

I could not find anything on the Airbnb site saying that a service animal cannot be left unattended though I have read often here that that is Airbnb’s rule.

What would you think of the following to be included in House Rules? At least in this way the Host would have notice in advance of the stay and could make any preparations needed or provide any information to the Guest that might be helpful (e.g., if there are potential dangers). @Annet3176 , @KimF, @Lynick4442 I’m curious on your view here. If Hosts had something like this they would have advance notice and the rules laid out. I adapted the language from this site: Airbnb Service Animal Policy - PriceLabs

Service Animals: In Massachusetts a service animal can only be a dog or in rare circumstances, a miniature horse. Because of allergies we do not allow any animals on the property. However, if a service animal were permitted to enter the property the Guest must proactively answer the following two questions within 48 hours of the booking (or immediately after booking if the reservation begins within 72 hours of the booking) by sending a message on the platform:
Questions:

1. Is the service dog required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
    Failure to send a message with the answers to these questions may result in a cancellation of the booking.
    Related Rules for Any Service Animal or Animal Permitted on the Property
  3. A service animal staying on our property is not allowed to be left unattended at the property at any time during your stay. You cannot leave him alone in a crate as well. You must take the animal with you anytime you leave the house.
  4. As the animal owner, you are liable for any damage caused by your accompanying service animal. If there is damage or a need for additional cleaning due to your stay, you will have to pay additional charges.
  5. Please be aware that we will cancel your reservation of you and your service dog if we discover misrepresentation of a pet as a service dog. In such cases, we will also report fraudulent claims of service animals to government authorities and evict the guest(s) without further notice; there will be no right to a refund.
  6. Please provide an advanced copy of your service dog’s rabies vaccine (current through your stay) in advance of your stay.
  7. Your service dog must be on a leash or under control of verbal or sight commands at all times. We will ask you to remove your service dog from the property if the animal is out of control and you cannot control it effectively.
  8. We will also ask you to vacate the premises if the animal is not housebroken.
  9. Please walk your service dog outside for bathroom needs. We strictly prohibit indoor piddle pads. You can walk the dog outside but not on the property or adjacent parkway for defecation or urination. The animal must stay on the pavers.
  10. Defecations are to be picked up immediately.
  11. Please bring your own disposal bags and dispose of them in the trash.
  12. Don’t let your service dog sit on furniture (sofa, chairs, bed) or counters unless it is specifically needed for your disability.

It’s here in the policy:

2 Likes

Although these are about pets, there is value for service dogs too

2 Likes

Thank you. I was right there too and skimmed too quickly.

Do you think the rules I provided:
a) Would address those Hosts who want advance notice of when a service dog will be at the property without asking each guest whether they’re bringing a service animal?
b) Would be a helpful reminder of Airbnb rules in case the service animal owner hasn’t read them?

Do you think it’s reasonable to ask for evidence of the rabies vaccine? [Some people are anti-vaxxers for their animals.]

I think it is far too long and it wont be read.

5 Likes

I agree it’s very long.

Here’s a shorter version. Too long still?

Service Animals: In Massachusetts a service animal can only be a dog or in rare circumstances, a miniature horse. Because of allergies we do not allow any animals on the property. However, if a service animal were permitted to enter the property the Guest must proactively answer the following two questions within 48 hours of the booking (or immediately after booking if the reservation begins within 72 hours of the booking) by sending a message on the platform:
Questions:

1. Is the service dog required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
    Failure to send a message with the answers to these questions may result in a cancellation of the booking.

Related Rules for Any Service Animal or Animal Permitted on the Property

1. A service animal staying on our property is not allowed to be left unattended.
  2. You are liable for any damage caused by your accompanying service animal.
  3. We will cancel your reservation of you and your service dog if we discover misrepresentation of a pet as a service dog; no right to a refund.
  4. Please provide an copy of your service dog’s rabies vaccine (current through your stay).
  5. Your service dog must be on a leash or under control of verbal or sight commands at all times.
  6. We will also ask you to vacate the premises if the animal is not housebroken.
  7. Please walk your service dog outside for bathroom needs. We strictly prohibit indoor piddle pads. You can walk the dog outside but not on the property or adjacent parkway for defecation or urination. The animal must stay on the pavers.
  8. Defecations are to be picked up immediately.
  9. Please bring your own disposal bags and dispose of them in the trash.
  10. Don’t let your service dog sit on furniture (sofa, chairs, bed) or counters unless it is specifically needed for your disability.