Sending payment from Australia to America

You and you guests would need to call your respective banks to find out how to process ACH payments.

You can get an international bank cheque in Australia (very expensive) that you pay the bank for in cash it comes out of the bankā€™s verified account and the person in the US takes it to their bank, pays a big fee and waits 21 working days for it to clear. This, virtually never used and only major banks can write and cash them.

1 Like

Iā€™m losing the will to liveā€¦

4 Likes

This is not accurate advice since ACH is US specific and not used outside of the US. In order to receive an incoming wire from abroad, @cabinhost would need her bankā€™s SWIFT/IBAN. If I went to my Spanish bank and asked how to process an ACH transfer they would look at me like I was insane, but if I asked to do an International wire with a Swift/IBAN they would know exactly what I was talking about.

1 Like

You would have the same issues with checks as discussed above

Paypal work for most, although I had been transferring money to Brazil and the fees were like 10%, it was pretty ridiculous.

Tim
TurnoverBnB

1 Like

paypal is best or money transfers

Yes this thread is about AU to USA so Iā€™m sharing the following off topic info in case it is helpful to others.

I just received a check from my Winter at the Beach (snowbird) renters who reside in Quebec, Canada. It is interesting: all in French but I can understand what ā€œCompte en Dollars U.S.ā€ means. So if you are in the USA or Canada, Canada Trust can accommodate generation of a check in US Dollars.

Now letā€™s see if Wells Fargo Bank is as accommodating when I go to deposit it.

1 Like

Every major bank will write a Chequers in foreign currency and yours willallow you to deposit it- itā€™s the fees and clearance time that are the issues.

We have needed these numbers for wire transfersā€¦ good old fashioned wires between international banksā€¦ that require a fee on both ends!

I know all about this when my son lost his wallet while on study abroad in Korea! :grimacing::weary::joy::moneybag::moneybag:

Belated update on depositing Canadian check into US bank.

Because the check was written in US dollars and was for less than $1,000 there were no additional fees and no hold for deposit lag time. My checking and savings are NOT premier level with special free or discounted services attached. The deposit went wonderfully smoothly.

1 Like