Sending payment from Australia to America

I think Cabin wants more security than the promise of cash since it is a sought-after weekend. However, I am fine with cash payments as well!

And the issue with VRBO/et al is the potential ‘charge back’?

Um… Why don’t you have a payment a widget!!!

I am now the one not understanding the issue… if you have the ability to charge via Paypal or Stripe (easy to set up), what is the issue with these particular guests? Sorry, I’m confused, now.

@cabinhost doesn’t want them to use a credit card since there is the possibility that they will do a chargeback. I believe that there is some reluctance to pay any fees for receiving the money.

2 Likes

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your choices are ‘trust’ these people to pay cash on arrival, risk Air extenuating circumstance policy (btw I personally think you are being a bit reactionary on this front, getting Air BNB to refund for EC is actually very difficult), or use Paypal/Transferwire.

I think you may be running out of options.

When we purchase directly from China, we have found that wire transfers are the best method. It costs us $35.00 to send and we get our bank’s current exchange rate which is quite competitive. There is no doubt a receiving cost as well, which your bank will be able to give you. If you don’t want to have this cost anything, add it to the rent for the cabin. There is no chargeback option. It is simple, and done.

Now your guests have to trust you far more than you trust them.

They would give you a travelers check :slight_smile: or offer to do the transfer for you with a hefty transfer fee. My NZ bank charged me $25 to covert NZD into ÂŁ and put into my UK account. I mean you could suggest they just do that and they can stomach the fee that their bank would charge them.

Regarding credit card payment systems - has anyone had a charge back when the guest stayed? that is one of my biggest issues when considering setting up credit card access for my listing.

Is there a way to receive travelers checks except for going through fedex, etc? If they can also do that electronically that would give me great insight!

Thanks.

Sending travelers checks through the mail is the same as sending cash. They would have had to have the double signature already in order to be valid currency. Same as cash. So then the postal costs are high, but of course that is born by the guests.

1 Like

A lot of owners who take direct payment are on the homeaway forum. There are nightmare stories of some chargebacks. Others have never experienced a problem with credit cards. Just google “homeaway community” and there is a search bar where you can enter “chargebacks” and read those stories.

I’ve haven’t used them so can’t say. But I’ve used registered mail - tracked and signed for UK-USA and it was fine (passports).

Oh my! It’s been ages since I received a traveler’s check as an employee. But yeah…if it requires their signature on the spot then I guess it’s a no go. Thanks for the reminder!

But what about a cashier’s check drawn from an Australian bank?

Same issue as a regular cheque, no way for the US bank to verify funds.

1 Like

No. It doesn’t have to be on the spot, but once the second signature has been completed, anyone can cash it.

Just remember that for every horror story where the victim sought out an internet forum on which to post their pain there were probably 10,000 no problem transactions.

@cabinhost use Transferwise or Paypal Friends and Family… And put us all out of out misery :joy::joy::kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

No, you’re reading biased stories written by hurt owners who may or may not have done their due diligence, may or may not be “great owners,” may or may not be telling the truth. I’m not saying there is no risk, I know nothing about the question at hand. What I know is that “stories on the internet” is a terrible source of reliable information. If this stresses you out too much, or the costs are too great you could just say “sorry, we’re going to have to wait for US based guests.” How much time have you already spent on this and how much do you “pay” yourself to do this work? Add that to the total.

Normally banks don’t charge the sender or the receiver for ACH transfers. If I were you I would ask your guests to send you the money in American dollars so that they pay the currency exchange fees.

1 Like