Self check - in vs greeted by host

Hi everybody
I greet my guests at check in, give them welcoming drinks etc. I have installed a key safe now too. I would like to have selfcheck-in available to guests that would prefer it. But how do I do it on bnb to still greet guests but also have self check in available? There does not seem to be an option for both?

Are you giving the guest the option or are you doing self check in only when you canā€™t make it? Donā€™t advertise self check in if it not always available. Some guests would rather not have a tour/ chat with hosts.

2 Likes

I live 4 hours away from my rentals. I offer self check in. I rarely meet my guests. I am available via text or phone. Gated community with gate code that calls my phone so I know when theyā€™ve arrived. I call or text them to help them find the condo and gain access.

My guests are not there to be entertained by me. They want to go to the beach so the ā€œas neededā€ communication has worked so far.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, Annet.
I live on a Gholf Estate and the apartmentthat I rent out is on my property. I have a vey hands on approach with guests and enjoy the interaction with them.
I want to get more bookings for midweek ( maybe people coming to the area for work) and I understand those types of guests often prefer self check-in so that they can arrive any time.
I want to greet my guests but have the option on bnb for guests wanting to do self check-in. Thatā€™s what I mean. I just dont see an option like that on bnb?

1 Like

Offer self checkin. Then perhaps ask your guest when they book if they prefer self-check in or an introduction and tour/orientation. Do what they prefer & all will be happy.

1 Like

I always do greet check in and indicate that I live over the road. It is amazing how the guest number increases when they realise just HOW close I am.

4 Likes

I offer both. A few days before arrival I send a note with several bits of information and questions (see attached). One of those questions is how and when they want to check in.

Most of my guest prefer the personal welcome, but there are some who arrive late at night that request self checkin. When they opt for that, I provide them the key code the morning of their arrival with specific instructions (along with pictures to ensure they have a familiarity of where they are going).

4 Likes

Like many have said here, in your welcoming message offer them the option of self check in or personalized greeting. I have mine set as self check-in but am always available for a meet & greet if needed or requested.

Thank you for all the replies, that helps a lot! :blush:

I like meeting guests, but we also have the self check in mode for late arrivals.

The SHā€™s I stayed with last week were 100 percent self check in. It was brilliant. Didnā€™t feel like I was imposing. So I decided to try it this week on a cheap booking.

I However the one star man last week wasnā€™t competent to use a keypad.

I also do both. I prefer to meet and great the guests but occasionally a guest arrives later than usual because of their flights or whatever so I offer self-check in too. I donā€™t give guests the option of which they get - I am not going to allow guests to let themselves in during the day and Iā€™m not going to stay up until 2 am to let in the guests who are flying in from New Zealand.

I firmly believe - other hosts disagree - that guests are better in every way if they receive the personal touch i.e. meet, greet and the house tour.

I tell guests that their check in window is between 4 and 6 pm. If they really need it, Iā€™ll extend this to about 8 pm IF their late arrival is due to unforeseen circumstances. Note that they do not get the key/code until itā€™s given to them by me.

If a guest has told me that theyā€™ll be arriving after about 8 pm (and I get quite a few who arrive after midnight because of flights) then I tell them that Iā€™ll arrange ā€˜easy check inā€™ for them. They do not get the check in information until a few hours before the time they plan to check in.

I tell the late arrivers that if they have any problem to let me know as I live right next door to one rental and opposite the other - Iā€™m only seconds away. But because I stress that itā€™s an easy check in, this has never happened.

2 Likes

I have a ring video. Their welcome email/text says I will either meet them in person or by video doorbell. This allows me to screen for animals or large groups or third party bookings or college kids trying to bring in kegs.

Also they need to present the government ID and card used to make the booking.

Hi
Itā€™s great you like to offer your guests the personal touch by being on hand to meet and greet (and providing a welcome drink), but as you mentioned some guest simply prefer to turn up and check themselves in.
As others have stated you could always look to offer both? Self-check in is popular, but let potential guests know you can be there to meet them and would be very happy to do so.

If you do go down the remote hosting route make sure your welcome book includes all the useful bits and bobs that can help out your guest e.g. instructions on how to sort out heating, local restaurants etc, and make sure your contact number is readily available.

If you guests decide to self-check in you could always add a more personal touch by leaving a handwritten note and a small welcome gift?

1 Like

Thanks for that.
Yes, I will do that - I am hoping that by having self check-in, I will attract more guests, especially midweek.

I think the sort-it-out-in-the-messaging suggestions are great.
Regarding guest preference, most of my guests seem to love the self check in. ā€œPrivacyā€ and ā€œself check inā€ get frequent positive review mentions. I do have a welcome book with instructions and laminated signs up everywhere ā€“ which no one has said are off-putting, by the way. I have had uniformly pleasant interactions with guests when I run into them in the drive or backyard but donā€™t make a point of personal greeting.
I do get a lot of business travelers who apparently just want a space to retreat and recharge, or work via computer. Also I am onsite in the main house, so less worries about humanizing myself to short circuit poor treatment of the property or rules.
And I guess the exception proves the rule ā€“ my most recent guest was a charming, chatty extrovert. I had to drop off some towels, and they asked for restaurant recommendations. I actually picked up the welcome book and opened it to the page that says ā€œWhere to Eatā€ for them, but it was obvious they preferred to have a conversation instead. They even banged on the front door to say goodbye when they left; thatā€™s unusual.

Yes, self check in will help you get more bookings. My place is listed as self check in anytime. After guests book I will often say things like ā€œif Iā€™m up when you arrive Iā€™ll pop out and say hi.ā€ If I get any kind of message back like ā€œoh, Iā€™m sure it will be late,ā€ or ā€œIā€™ll just let myself inā€ I take that as a hint. As for the actual personal interaction it seems that about half the guests like it and about half seem to be avoiding it. I personally like to have privacy and my own entrance. I donā€™t really want to be force to share time or small talk with some hosts so like to have more control. I especially want to avoid the hosts who want to know why Iā€™m in their town, etc.

We list as self-check in since we have a lockbox. However, in our confirmation we state that we usually greet guests or leave the door unlocked for short windows of time. Security is not a big issue in our area. We do ask people if they have an approximate arrival time so that we can plan around it or let other guests know that someone might be arriving late. Guests seem to appreciate the personal contact.

1 Like

I tried viewing written documentation on the nest video doorbell and it wasnā€™t legible. Have you been able to actually see it properly that way?

Even if you canā€™t see it, the guest doesnā€™t know that. Thereā€™s a lot to be said for bluffing or requiring things that reduces your risk.

Same as saying you live next door/nearby. It makes some potential trouble pass on your listing

1 Like

If I had the option Iā€™d have a lock box too. Just to have the option when you canā€™t meet f2f so list it as such and get in touch with the guest re: their preference.