Security deposit amount too much for guest to handle

My airbnb security deposit is 1000.00$ Twice now, requesting guests have been cleared by me, communication and booking “complete” and then they don’t have the money available on their credit card. I have to wait 24 hours before I get an air cancel, or maybe they change the card. Am I dodging a bullet or too high<><>??

I’m curious what others have as their amount and if they have had this experience. I guess it is the types that presumably don’t have a high enough limit, or it’s all spent.

Thanks!

Interesting—— I didn’t realize Airbnb verifies security deposit fund availability before the stay. I knew Airbnb processes full payment of fees, taxes fees when the reservation is made (unless guest selects to make two payments). I thought security deposit funds were only charged if the host filed a claim.

EDIT—-thank you @HumptyDumpty for posting the link. Looks like indeed Airbnb doesn’t verify availability of security deposit funds

I’ve learned something new today.

My security deposit is much less. Amoung my local STR rental friends, a largest I am aware of in my rental area of the USA is $500.

1 Like

@gypsy sounds more like they haven’t got enough money for the actual booking, security deposits are not charged or pre-authorised.
Airbnb help page

3 Likes

Same! I had no clue that they did that either.

1 Like

It happens to me all the time with a $100 security deposit. It might be that they just had one card setup from years ago and never changed it in their account. Usually the guests change the card and then the reservation gets confirmed.

Thanks for all your replies! In the 2 cases mentioned I guess they were just fantasizing about staying with us and didn’t really want to follow thru, or they didn’t have enough credit. Nice to know Air doesn’t hold the funds… I guess<><>

Now this second lady has requested to book again. I guess I’ll giver a 2nd chance<><.

Hey everyone, I am new here and this is my first post :slight_smile:

We currently don’t request a security deposit. However, we have been talking about it for some time. Can someone explain how it works with AirBNB? Do they actually charge the guests credit card or do they just verify the funds?

Also, if the guest causes damage or breaks rules that require us to charge them, what’s the process?

1 Like

Same here. Would love to see some pros and cons.

This topic is old so I’m closing it. Many people posting here are no longer hosts or active members.

1 Like