Security Cameras Outdoor/Indoor

I had thought of in addition to putting one out front putting one in back yard but I see your point if someone wants to go outside and drink their coffee in their jammies. We have a 6 ft tall privacy fence out back but it does not go across the back of the yard as that is made private by tall trees and shrubbery and only has a 4 foot chain link fence since our shed is back there behind the fence. We do however have a fire pit out back and wonder if we put one focusing on that area and maybe not the main patio area.

Just want to make it clear that you are only permitted to put cameras in shared areas of shared hosting. Never in whole house rentals except for outside.

1 Like

Another host here in wooded N. GA area had a guest who didn’t extinguish the fire pit properly. It caught nearby trees on fire. Her outdoor camera alerted her and though she tried to alert the guest, the guest slept through it. The remote host had to call the fire department. A different host’s outdoor cameras caught another guest using a propane torch on a guest’s wooden deck. Outdoor cameras can find out it’s racoons making the mess in the yard, not guests. Guests peeing off the deck is an invasion of their privacy but I also want to know if that behavior is going on. So I’d have outdoor cameras and all the guests who object will have to choose another listing.

On my own listing the cameras are at the front of the porch. Once guests come onto the porch I can’t see them except by looking out the front window. And of course neighbors can see them. A little common sense and you can have security while your guest has some, but not complete, privacy.

This isn’t absolute. For example, If you have a camera pointed at a cabinet of fine first edition rare widgets and it is fully disclosed, this is permitted.

I have about 10 exterior cameras installed outside of the house. I use the Wyze cameras. I spent about $25 each. No need to spend anymore than necessary. I do turn off the audio recording to preserve the guests’ privacy and it doesn’t add anymore security. Some cameras are next to lounging areas and I’m sure guests may want their conversations private.