Scheduled messages - used different languages and were sent twice

I couldn’t find another topic that deals with this particular issue so here it goes:

We have two listings with slight differences so we use different scheduled messages for each one. The scheduled messages for the one studio are only written in English and work fine.

For the other studio we wrote scheduled messages in three languages (English/German/French) since we noticed that the auto-translated messages sound quite clumsy and inaccurate.

Now, for some strange reason the guests receive two scheduled messages before the Check-in - one in English and one in German.

I cannot figure out why that is. The requirements/settings of the scheduled message for each language looks correct. The scheduling is correct and the language setting is correct.

In our listing/profile we indicate that we speak those three languages so it’s even more confusing why ABB is sending out two of those three languages although only one should be sent out.

I assumed that English would be the standard one for any guest who doesn’t provide any language preferences, plus it would be auto-translated into their native language. So, why would ABB send out the German message as well?

Did anyone of you run into this before?

And now our Checkout messages went out 3 times :man_facepalming:

One for every language we set up.

OK, so I guess I figured out the mystery - I ended up finding some thread on the Airbnb Community page where many people complained about the same problem.

Airbnb, as of now, is not able to identify the guests’ native language (language settings in the app/browser) and therefore shoots out ALL scheduled messages in every language as long as the set schedule is triggered.

Hosts complained on the ABB Community forum that in some cases guests received 4 Check-in messages in 4 different languages :man_facepalming: since everyone assumed that this is the whole point to write the messages in different languages so the guest will receive ONE well written message. But no.

So, only one language per ‘event’ should be scheduled in order not to annoy the guests with spammy messages.

Since this issue has been going on for while already, I wouldn’t hold my breath that this will be fixed any time soon.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. Other hosts must have the same issue.

1 Like