Sad Carpeting Stain

This isn’t related to hosting, but this forum includes some of the best stain warriors I know of.

One of our elderly greyhounds recently died, after vomiting multiple times. He was sick once on the carpeted step from our dining room down to our sunken living room. The poor boy.

I got all the other carpet stains cleaned successfully with our Bissell carpet thing and the Bissell shampoo, but I’m stumped about how to clean the vertical carpeted surface (the step riser). The Bissell shampoo on a damp rag does nothing.

Suggestions?

Here’s a picture of our Barney in better days.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry, it’s so hard to lose a dog. They don’t live long enough. I know that nothing I say will help so I will stop. But what a beautiful boy :heart:

Bac-Out by Biokleen will get vomit out of anything. It also has the benefit of not needing to be rinsed out. Soak, dab, soak, dab. You can leave it on over night if needed and then dab a final time. But it should disappear more or less in front of your eyes.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. Barney was a beautiful boy. Have you tried some of the products from Pet Smart? Ask the salesperson to recommend something to get out the stains.

1 Like

Aww, what a lovely boy. Poor lad.

Our cat has a habit of eating leaves and, weirdly, plastic. Therefore there are often leafy, nasty deposits on the carpet. We use a Bissel product called Stomp and Go. It contains Oxy.

It’s a wet pad so you should be able to place it on the stair riser and keep it in place with duct tape. The ‘stomp’ part of the name is because you have to tread on it (stomp) to push the cleaning agent into the fibres. So thump it a bit.

It’s worked brilliantly for us, even on older stains. You can get it at Amazon.

1 Like

Sorry about barney:(

Do you have a wet/dry shop vac?

If so pour hot water on the riser and suck it up, rinse and repeat until its clean.

RR

1 Like

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I’m sure something suggested here will work.

2 Likes

Very very sorry! We have had great experience using “Nature’s Miracle” products. They are definitely on Amazon. Perhaps also available at some pet stores?
One of our cats had kidney issues toward the end and she pee’d regularly on the living room rug. We saturated all affected areas using a garden sprayer (usually 1-2 gallons), put down moist towels and 12 hours later the odor was totally gone along with the bio stains.
Another thing to look at is Biokleen Bac-Out. It is supposed to be great. We own it but have never used it.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s worth calling the guy with the truck that has the steam injector and strong vacuum you need for deep carpet cleaning. This sounds like one of those times I would call a pro.

My condolences for the loss of your beloved pet.

1 Like

My condolences on the loss of Barney.

I have nothing to suggest for stain removal that’s superior to what’s been suggested in terms of a chemical or cleaner. However you might consider using some pressure of some sort. I have a pressure washer so I’d try using it on a vertical surface if the chemicals didn’t do it.

1 Like

I’m sad for you. I had to put down my 15.5 yr old Cattle Dog last week and I’m still grieving.

I have successfully used white vinegar and baking soda. Soak the area with the white vinegar, then make a paste of it and baking soda. Finger it in working into the fibers. Let dry over night. Then vacuum. Sometimes I’ve had to do it twice on very light carpets.

1 Like

My condolence on the loss of your pup.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Biogreen Clean for 15 years – and I swear b y it. Have used it on everything that can come out of anywhere on a dog (including stinky coat) and its deodorizing is immediate. I don’t think it’s in stores… I’ve always purchased from them online. Delivery free in continental USA.

I like using it in our Airbnb, because it is totally non-toxic to people and does not leave a “disinfectant” smell. In addition to all the regular stuff from washing walls to cleaning toilets, I mist my wool Persian carpets to keep them smelling fresh

(It’s a lot cheaper and more versatile in the concentrate form. Also – a family-owed business, produced in the USA
)

1 Like

I’m a little late to this thread, so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my pugs earlier this year and it still hurts. Barney was a good looking boy for sure.

I have always had pets for as long as I can remember and absolutely swear by the Bissell Little Green Machine. I’m on my 3rd over a span of about 30 years. It’s a hand held that works great on stairs and furniture, super easy to use, around $100 and there are many pet and stain shampoos available.

Great investment for any Airbnb host especially one with pets.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

An update: The Biokleen worked a treat! All vomit stains are completely gone. Carpeting looks new!

It was easy. Soak with the product, let stand five or more minutes, blot with a rag. We did that twice, and it got the stains out.

Thanks to all who suggested it!

1 Like