Room with no window?

1. room: yes it is a bedroom w/ closet and door. I think the building code has relaxed in the recent years where “glass partitions” are allowed - which makes this an above grade room. unless you are a lawyer doing land development, it is an “opinion” not legal assessment. let’s stop discussing the legality regarding this issue, it is legal

2. Lynn has a good reco, it is something I’ve considered and will likely make the transition in the future.

3. My question is more on what/how can we make the most of it vs “you suck, no one would want to live here”. I received 10/12 5 star reviews. So clearly people have enjoyed the “overall experience”. Having no natural window sucks but the question is - what can we do as smart hosts to make the other aspect of their journey more enjoyable??

4. I don’t believe Airbnb = a place to stay. Because if guests just want a cookie cutter room, hotels are the best way to go.

5. I could be wrong, but I think no one’s place is perfect or at least it won’t be perfect to every single person. Again, let’s focus on - what can we do as smart hosts to make the other aspect of the guests’ journey more enjoyable that can at least compensate for some of the short comings?? Ultimately, that’s what we compete on. MANY people offer a room with a bed and window. What can we do differently that sets us apart?

I think the best way to compensate for short cuts is lower the price. I really don’t care about candies on my pillow or flowers in my room. For me Airbnb definitely equals just a cheap place to stay for much cheaper price than hotel.
I like hotels better because they are professionals and they know what they are doing most of the time. My room gets cleaned for me, they give me breakfast, I get concierge service , but then I pay the price.

3 Likes

I think that is inviting undue scrutiny and could get her in trouble. She still doesn’t say where it is. I am assuming Florida?

As I have mentioned in the past… I’ve been a host with Air since almost the day they opened their doors… and I would never book as a guest. Prefer the reliability and comfort of a hotel. The cost is about the same once you’ve calculated cleaning, tax, hold on your card for security, etc. I have mentioned this too… I recently visited my sons in Asia. My Seoul hotel was $35USD per night. including tax. It was totally awesome. About 100 paces from the subway stop. All the comforts of a hotel and none of the unknowns and restrictions of an AirBnB…( I could have rented an Air for $11 US per night but it was a room with no window (!) and you still have the cleaning… and all the ‘unknown’ factors!)

Did I miss where you are located? Post a pic of the windowless room?

Kona, yes in some countries it doesn’t make much sense to book through Airbnb for example when I am in some countries like Hungary, Latvia, Estonia, Latin America, or South East Asia there is no point doing Airbnb becaus e hotels are so cheap that for us the difference is insignificant but comfort level is not comparable. Western Europe can bite though. In May I was in Ireland ,I paid 260$ for a week of Airbnb instead of 750$ the cheapest hotel I could find.
In Italy, Bari, for 45$ I rented a miniature 2 story mansion enough for 6 people, while all the hotels started with 100$. It adds up by the end of the trip.

1 Like

Yana, what do you know about Prague? I am interested in visiting and would hope I could find a cheap hotel.

Prague can be expensive. If you go stay in the old city ONLY as Praga is a big city but all attractions are concentrated in old town. They have many appartments for rent in addition to hotels without deposits through official agencies . We rented one 2 min.walk from the main square for 150$ and it was beautifull, very quite . Don’t remember the name , it was couple years ago.

1 Like

It would help to know where she is located. She’s living in a condo that she says is new and up to code. So the bedroom without a window must be OK.

I know you and BBM are licensed legal and up to code in all aspects of your rentals. But I would venture to say that if a good percentage of AirBnB hosts called up some government authority to ask if what they are doing is legal they would get a great big NO.

I don’t think that is the answer here. Besides…she didn’t ask us if we thought it was legal, she asked if we thought she should describe the windowless situation better in the listing. And I would say most of us think she should.

Oh brother. Just like collecting accommodations taxes in cash (which is suggested by Air themselves) tarnishes the reputation of all hosts.

Yana, how do you rent those? Do you have recommendations for other Eastern European countries like Hungary?

it’s such a bizarre tale that I actually think it is a bit fishy. But I could be wrong. Most horror stories are with guests, not hosts, so this is kind of a first.

Since the appartments are considered hotel like they are just listed on all fsmiliar sites as hotels.com or booking.com. Or you can just google appartments in Praga.
Kona , for me Hungary is the best. As you might imagine thati went to all of them but 3, Hungary stoll my heart. I went there twice in one summer and loved every minute of it. People, art, natural spas, food and on top of that it’s very inexpensive . If you deside To go , I will tell you the best places to see.

I love this! Thank you so much! I want to keep in touch. I will send you a PM!

1 Like

Hi Euphoriasoul,
Wow, that went totally elsewhere didn’t it, once everyone lost interest! Btw, I really dislike it when people try to pry details and pictures out of people on the Internet. Forums are often here for people to share anonymously, and they shouldn’t be forced to disclose more than they want to. That aside, a few ideas for you. I really do agree with Lynn in that if you are serious about doing airbnb, you really would not be subjecting your guests to a lack of privacy with the window/blind situation to the kitchen. That is something that you should put up with instead. As Lynn said, if you aren’t prepared to live in the room while people are on the other side of the window, then you really shouldn’t expect paying guests to be either. That said, if you want to make a room awesome for guests, I really believe that high end bedding is the way to go. Great mattresses (someone suggested tuft and needle mattresses are great if yours isn’t up to snuff), beautiful quality sheeting and down pillows and duvets for winter, or lovely quality light bedding in summer. I never cheap out on bed linen and pillows. It’s so important that guests have the best sleep ever and rave about it in the morning. That’s my 2 cents worth, anyway!

But I think the other remarks are correct, the downgraded marks are happening on first impression when entering the room and seeing it. Representing it properly in pictures and in your description is very important in my opinion. If you describe the room for what it is, but also say you have a high quality bed of amazing comfort, high quality linens and afford your guests the best sleeps, these are the kinds of perks that can attract guests despite the downsides to a room without a window (although I think the lack of privacy and view to the kitchen is worse than the lack of a window personally). You can also offer amazing coffee in the morning, pastries, whatever it takes that isn’t too much trouble, but makes your place special. Provide great towels etc. I know you may do this already, just providing whatever I can to help.

1 Like

Only asked her for the picture so we could help describe it for her… not to invade her privacy or make her feel bad further.

I know Kona, I know you don’t post with bad intentions :slight_smile:
I would probably say that asking or mentioning to share things once is enough to gauge whether someone is interested in sharing things of this nature. I just know I am private and like my anonymity and prefer to choose how much I share and when and that I can get irritated if someone pushes me for more.

1 Like

Ridiculous. Really a bad situation for a guest at the hotel. If I were to be in your place, long back I would have sued them for their sheer negligence. Cleanliness is the first thing I would consider while choosing a hotel. Not to mention how it would be to stay in a room without windows. Be it for a house or any other building , it is simply unacceptable for me to not have windows. The thought itself leaves me suffocated.

1 Like

@EuphoriaSoul
It’s not for people to climb out the window it’s for fire fighter access and smoke relief. It’s illegal as a bedroom period. I’m sure it was not called a bedroom by the builder. I would block one day after each visitor to provide a clean and ready space. It’s just not a four star experience. Sorry to be hard on you but you did ask!