Robes not being used

Well all of you that might bring a bathrobe should, because you don’t want to use a different one that is clean. I hope its thin or it may not fit inside your carry on. Really doesn’t any one wear used clothes in this world and escape without getting cooties:::: Just how much waste do we need and fabric waste is very high on the list. If host had robes for sale at a profit and you forgot yours would you buy one then???

I don’t have a choice for not supplying a robe or 2 in " The Immortal Goddess Spa " (reveal soon:) because it is the thought that counts in hospitality. And they (custom) are not going to have wide sleeve openings! And If I found the perfect thrifted one to offer with alterations at the sleeves believe me I’d offer it. They might have a sign: “Clean robes for your lounging convenience. Please lmk if they have been used”

3 Likes

You’re not the only who has said this but I really don’t understand. Towels are more personal because only towels touch the pinky bits.

But maybe there’s a way to get more personal with a robe that I don’t know about.

4 Likes

My youngest daughter was always keen on fashion, so she went into high fashion design after high school, taking an intensive one year course at Vancouver Community College, then interning with and working for designers in Toronto, Montreal and New York. She even volunteered with an NGO in India to teach sewing to women looking to become independent and support themselves and their families.

She had her own website with clothing she had made and some shops that carried her creations, but she never had a chance to really make a go of that because she needed to keep working for others to pay her rent and eat. She did that for about 10 years, then decided to go back to school to become a Montessori teacher.

She discovered she liked teaching when she worked at a community center one summer teaching sewing to both kids and adults, she loves little kids, plus teaching is perfect for her personality- she likes to be in charge and not answerable to others.

When I asked her why she decided to get out of the fashion industry, she said it was such a fake, dog eat dog competitive world. That the last thing we need on this planet now is a throw-away culture where people think they have to buy new clothes all the time, because those are last year’s colors or hemlines or styles. It was quite a switch from the girl who used to pore constantly over fashion magazines and stand in front of the mirror trying on a dozen different outfits before going out.

She still has great style, but everything comes from the second hand store or she makes it herself. And when she had her baby 2 years ago, she told everyone that she didn’t want new baby clothes gifts from Baby Gap, that babies don’t wear clothes out, they just grow out of them and second-hand was what she wanted.

3 Likes

I don’t get it either but I guess we all have our things. Over my time hosting I’ve decided I have to put a new roll of TP in the Airbnb because of the thought of a guest’s contaminated hand touching it and then a different guest arrives bugs me. Having a fresh roll sends a subliminal message that “this place is clean.” It doesn’t bother me to use it, I take the roll to my part of the house and use it. But surely the same people who wouldn’t wear a robe in a rental must demand a new roll of TP, right?

I’ve also noticed many people don’t use washcloths. I also put a new nylon body scrubber in the rental. The tag is still attached so people know it’s unused. That gets used one of 10 bookings. The trick is probably that people have to sleep on the sheets so their brain makes it okay. They don’t have to use a robe or a washcloth.

I used to not understand illogical behaviors until my own brain started having a mind of it’s own. LOL.

4 Likes

Sheets touch the pinky parts, too, for people that sleep in the nude…

1 Like

What a wonderful reply Muddy! . Your daughter sounds a lot like me. I became a tailor out of high school to pay the rent on my room at my Moms house. Later I had the opportunity to live in Paris for 10 months and studied molding- patternmaking using a mannequin- at the best fashion school there.
When I got back my career started in earnest as a patternmaker and in CAD. This whole time I was crazy about clothes, made my own, modelled and wore second hand. I did patternmaking and technical design for ever, until I built Tiny Tiki.
I also love interior design and have done upholstery and home sewing a lot. I still love to wear my own fashions but I am grateful I never went into production on any of my designs. Fashion is a crazy world, and I learned working for other companies what not to do for success in it!!
I made 250 of those bears all from either Pendleton wool or recycled wool skirts, modelled after a bear my parents bought for my brother. The ties I got enough for 3 skirts for five dollars!!

2 Likes

Agreed! I don’t think my take on this is logical, which is weird since I’m basically a robot. I guess I’m just not a robe guy.

1 Like

I made a bunch of tie skirts, too! That was about 45 years ago. A friend was a clothing designer and had had a line of silk ties. Then he ended up with a bunch that didn’t sell and gave me them. As I recall, I had a pretty big bagful. Some of the off cuts are still in my scrap baskets, 45 years later!

The bears are sweet.

Here’s a funny procrasinator story.
A friend of mine had 2 daughters, 13 years apart in age (from 2 different relationships). When her oldest daughter was about 2 years old, she started making a pair of pajamas for her, but the child had outgrown that size before my friend got them done. So she packed the pieces and pattern away, and 13 years later, hauled it out to finish for her second daughter. By the time she got them done, her second daughter had also outgrown them!

1 Like

Just recently got rid of piles of nylon netting I was going to use to make tutus for my 2 little kids. The kids are 28 and 31 now.

2 Likes

Still working on a cross stitch alphabet sampler…… started when I was pregnant with my now 31 year old……
My crafty friend calls these UFO’s - Un Finished Objects

4 Likes

You’re okay with towels that have been all up in someone’s business, but you’re feeling icky about a robe? Must be a backstory somewhere :joy::joy::joy:

I know, I know… I said above…

I don’t think my take on this is logical, which is weird since I’m basically a robot. I guess I’m just not a robe guy.

2 Likes

The bear is so cute! Well done. I’m looking into bear patterns for my grandson. I have some clothes of my late Dad’s and grandson is named for my Dad, so I’d like to make him a keepsake bear.

Did you make that pattern?

yes, copied though from our original “Trousers”

1 Like

This isn’t exactly about procrastination, but here’s my baby blanket story.

Years ago, my friend Pat told me as soon as she found out she was pregnant. I had nearly six months to crochet her a baby blanket. My sister had crocheted dozens of them. I hadn’t.

My sister and I bought pastel variegated yarn, and she patiently taught my a very simple stitch for the body of the blanket. There was to be a simple shell stitch for the edging.

I started crocheting. It wasn’t long before I noticed a mistake a row or two back. I ripped and restitched. A row or two later, another mistake. More ripping and fixing. Then I noticed a mistake further back. Rip, restitch. That went on until I realized that the rows went from tighter to looser, so the outside edges looked wavy. Rip, rip, rip, and restitch.

You get the story. I ripped and restitched the wretched thing for months. All in all, I figure I crocheted enough to cover a hippo.

Finally, Pat had the audacity to go into labor three weeks early. I didn’t have the blanket halfway done. And, sadly, my sister had moved to another state, so she couldn’t help me. She suggested I take it to a mutual friend of ours, who also crocheted.

I gathered up my skeins of yarn, my pitiful half-mutilated/half-done blanket and went to see Judy. Judy said, in her Kentucky drawl, “Honey, I do believe this yarn is getting just a wee bit fatigued.”

Fortunately, I had bought extra yarn.

Dear friend Judy was nice enough to start the whole blasted thing over. She finished it IN A DAY, shell stitching and all.

I was humiliated, but delighted that I could give Pat the blanket before the child was in school. I told her the truth about who made it. After all, I did sew pastel ribbon bows on the corners of the thing.

7 Likes

there was a lady in my town who crocheted a sweater for King Kong. she taught me how to crochet

3 Likes

I have 2 in each of my rooms that are in my home,and my guests feel comfy enough to come for coffee in the morning with their pjs on wrapped in a robe,if it’s nice outside they have their coffee on the patio.I am happy they feel so at home

1 Like

If you wanted me to feel so at home I showed up for coffee in my pajamas, you’d have to supply the pajamas, too. I haven’t worn pajamas in 55 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Muddy I will make sure I have a pair for you if you ever visit.

2 Likes

We went to the local dry cleaner and bought (for 5 cents each) the plastic bags that dry cleaners put over your clothes on a hanger, and use them after washing our robes… it is a signal to the guests that the robe is indeed freshly cleaned.

4 Likes