Robes not being used

We do offer robes and they get used fairly consistently. In fact, sometimes they get used a little more in ways and places than we would like! We’ve had guests wear them for a quick trip to the local quick stop and many times guests wear them down to the fire pit when we have provided a fire/s’mores! We did notice a down-tick in usage when COVID hit the scene, but it is starting to pick back up.

2 Likes

Yes. The floor is cold, and I like to encourage people to take off their shoes/boots. I knitted a few double-soled slippers in whatever wool I happened to be using up at the end of projects and whatever pattern I wanted to try. They are easily washed with the floormat at each turnover.
One guest (one guest in nine years) loved hers so much she bought them from me through the resolution centre. That pair was pretty nice, if I do say so myself. Cuffed and buttoned. One couple loved theirs so much they wore them inside and outside… in the mud. In that case the slippers made things so much worse.
But overall they are used often and sometimes mentioned.
If you don’t knit, someone in your neighbourhood likely does.

1 Like

Question to the robe folks: are your robes white or do you offer darker colored ones? Thinking about adding a pair!

1 Like

You might consider offering them to guests long enough for them to take pix in them, whether for free or as a rental. I would charge for the cleaning if they did so.

Kimonos and the desert would make great photo contrasts.

2 Likes

That is a great idea! I think many guests would borrow them responsibly! The new bath space is very Asian MCM and going to be awesome! It’s been an incredibly tough and $$$$, $$ challenge to get it done. Stay tuned for reveal!

I have enough matching nice fleecy stuff to make one nice robe and will look for another washable robe.

To be honest, I’ve never used a robe provided by a hotel, a B&B, or a spa. I bring my own. I wouldn’t trust anyone to ensure that they were clean.

But that’s just me.

1 Like

I’m curious what the thought process is. Why do you trust that towels and sheets are clean but not robes? (Not trying to be contrary)

2 Likes

We supply robes and disposable slippers. Both are white. They were about $40 each a couple of years ago. They are used by about 50% of guests.

Size-wise, they are fine for me (average build and height) and pretty big blokes too.

I have a theory that even if guests don’t use them, they like the fact that we pay attention to detail.

:angel:

4 Likes

Because I’ve seen hotel staff remove towels and sheets, and I’ve seen hotel staff using their laundry facilities. I’ve never seen a hotel housekeeper remove or even look at a robe.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Of course I also don’t think they launder some of the things I would. I’ve only been in one Airbnb that had robes. I didn’t use one, but might have if there had been another guest there when I was. It was a private room and a bathroom shared with another room but no other guest was there while I was.

2 Likes

First thing I do when going into a motel or hotel room is remove the bedspread, put it in a corner somewhere, and go wash my hands.

4 Likes

Over the last few years I’ve started spending a bit more for my hotels (or stay in an Airbnb). The hotels I’ve been in have now done away with bedspreads and are using a flat sheet, blanket and either a duvet cover or triple sheeting. I’ve also seen a top layer that isn’t a quilt and isn’t a regular sheet, it’s a special sheet purpose made. Honestly it reminds me of a tablecloth. After seeing it in a hotel I came home and got one I use in my Airbnb sometimes in the the summer.

All of that is to say that it’s been awhile since I was in a hotel with a bedspread. I was just looking at some Airbnbs for an upcoming trip and the ones that have traditional bedspreads on the bed are out of contention for my business.

2 Likes

I wonder if that may be why mine are not getting used…

RR

1 Like

I think so as well, I am getting credit for having robes available, and they are not getting used. Win win

RR

4 Likes

I posted a thread about having N95s in my airbnb, asking if they needed to be wrapped or not. I decided on individually wrapped ones and though I haven’t had many guests, they are still there, untouched. Getting credit for something that isn’t even used seems like a great strategy.

3 Likes

I am on my 3rd set of robes in 6 years. I buy a medium grade 100% cotton wrap style. My guests love them for walking around the house, sitting on the porch, using the outdoor shower and taking them down to the hot tub. I love the idea of a towel warmer and have been considering one for the hot tub area.

That said, I don’t use one personally. Probably should give them a try.

3 Likes

We have a wall-mounted towel warmer in our master bath. I wish I remembered to use it more often than I do. If it had a timed off switch, I might. But if I turn it on, I forget to turn it off.

2 Likes

Buy a timer plug. I think they are under $10 US on Amazon.

3 Likes

Ours is wired into the wall. No plug in a wall outlet.

1 Like

We put out white terry robes we get on Amazon, and they seem to get used more than half the time. Granted, we have only a 480 square foot cabin with 1 queen bed. It’s more of a romantic getaway than a family vacation home, so our clients may be more prone to lounging about in robes. But we like to have them for the guests. It ups the fancy factor, and we’d rather have more than a guest expects rather than less. Though we’ve already had a pair ruined by a red wine spill…

2 Likes