Review for questionable service dog

Yep I “get it”. We all do. Would one feel better or worse if:

1. “We told the truth about the aggressive dog. The Guest gets the review pulled by playing the SA card”

2. "We told the truth about the bad guest. The review stuck. Future hosts are warned. The guest knows darn well why they actually got blasted. Too bad!

It is also possible that the review mentions the aggressive dog and it stays.
That is ideal. No one can guarantee that is without risk.

Well, actually, it isn’t just Airbnb policy. In the US: no one has to tell anyone that they are bringing a service dog because it’s considered an assistive device. Service dogs have to be accommodated by all businesses. And I don’t see any reason why Airbnb hosts would be exempted from that.

But he obligation to take emotional support animals is unique in STR as temporary lodging is not obligated to accommodate ESAs otherwise, but Airbnb does. However, a long term tenant doesn’t have to disclose an ESA. They can just show up and move on in with their emotional support bird or whatever.

It depends on where one is located. That sort of legislation doesn’t necessarily exist outside of the US.

1 Like

Well, as another host, I’d like to know that these folks travel with an agressive dog, that it’s a german shepherd and that it’s called Dolly, so that I can avoid booking them. The service dog part is not important and also would be the tricky part that could get the review removed maybe (maybe, not fairly, but maybe nonetheless). But, because I have a dog and I host other guests with dogs, that review (without the service animal part, just the agressive issue) would be enough for me to get their instant book cancelled penalty-free…and avoid a big scene because I would make a big scene if their dog charged someone on my property. I have a strict “be nice or go home” policy, so it’s best that I know ahead of time and don’t book them.

Proof is not required for reviews on Airbnb. I think we all know that by now and they do say as much, “reviews are a perspective” is their policy. I have often said that the guests were really messy or took something or damaged something and I don’t I have photos or proof of that either, I would only need proof if I wanted to file a damage claim, but not just for the review.

Yes, to me, that is the goal of the review. Service dog issue = not relevant, don’t even need to mention it as I said in my first post.

But the review is not even the important part. They need to be reported to ABB for bringing this aggressive, untrained dog with them. Worst case scenario, they get a note on their record with Airbnb which should help another host down the line when someone gets bit. Unfortunately, it’s tricky to report someone for having a fake service dog, for all of the issues you’ve mentioned, so I wouldn’t touch that either, but I’d like to so as to protect the people with real service dogs.

Edit to add: Would it be different if it was the guest’s husband who was aggressive and charged the host and the host had to say, “call off your husband”? I can’t imagine pussy-footin around with that review.

2 Likes
  1. Tries it in one of the many states and cities were it is now illegal to fake a service dog and the host turns them in for it :slight_smile:

Nah. Everything revolves around the US. You must be in Mexico or something. Or worse, Canadian.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I fixed it :wink:

2 Likes

Haha. Well, Airbnb doesn’t have any policy saying we have to accept husbands without them being mentioned when booking. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As far as reporting it to Airbnb, I’d just be really careful and cagey as to what I said to them. I’d play totally accepting and compliant with their service dog policy, i.e. :
“Of course I accept service animals and Airbnb’s policy on them, I’m just concerned about this particular dog’s aggression towards other people, as it would be really bad publicity for Airbnb if the dog were to seriously injure or maim another guest or the host, so felt it should be made known to you.”

3 Likes

But what if they are Service Husbands?? Well, that doesn’t sound so bad actually… :laughing:

4 Likes

I’ll take one of those. Any links as to where they’re available?

3 Likes

I think your review is extraordinarily fair.
Like you, I question the service dog moniker.
We are currently training a golden retriever as a stability and mobility dog for my husband. An aggressive dog cannot safely fulfill any service function. My husband’s former dog, a shepherd, was totally focused on the task at hand. Sounds as if they chose a dog with the wrong temperament to train or he’s really just an ill-natured pet.

1 Like

Does your listing say no pets? Mine does. I would have told them they would have to leave…

If you read this thread and dozens of others here on the topic you will see that if you do that you’ll be in trouble with Airbnb. Pets and service animals aren’t the same thing.

2 Likes

Absolutely mention the dog. If the guest was honest and straightforward they would have certainly mentioned a service animal at the time of booking. My house rules include a “No pet policy” I’m astounded to hear that has no standing with Airbnb.

Not necessarily. The law in the US is that those with disabilities who require a service animal do not have to disclose that fact, and many won’t.

I’m astounded that so many Airbnb hosts have no idea what the TOS are that they agreed to and which are supposed to inform and bind all their hosting policies.

4 Likes

I’m not. Read this forum for a bit and you soon realise that as many hosts as guests don’t read the important stuff.

JF

1 Like

I ShOulD hAVe UsED thE SArcAsM FOnt.

5 Likes

Oh thought it meant pets lol

1 Like

You thought what meant pets?

Yes, you should have done.

Just a bit slow tonight, the euphoria of exiting lock down tomorrow, coupled with a glass or two of Oloroso isn’t helping :wine_glass:

JF

3 Likes