Review Assistance Request

I’ve never heard of these before. Can you tell me more please? I could do with one for cutlery that only comes out on high days and holidays!

Well, actually, they are both just your high end department store variety silver chest, circa 1940s-50s. Both lids and drawers have tight felt seals. They don’t get opened often (it’s been about 3 years now), which also helps.

The anti-tarnish strips are made by 3M, a US company. Available from Amazon in UK. They work best if hermetically sealed with the silver. They have several sizes and packages.

Interesting. I will try some. I usually use sachets of tarnish remover stuff, that you put in a bucket with all the cutlery, and pour boiling water over the lot. Works quite quickly, and lasts for about a year.

Having a canteen of silver cutlery was never my life’s ambition, but for fifty quid in a charity shop, for twelve place settings, well, it had to be done.

Except that ha do known there would have been no issue. The issue is Alexa rly that she DIDNT let me know, and it is in the house rules.

I agree except that it is in the house rules and we had even discussed me o it charging for ally he days for her son up front and refund in the back end because I had been taken advantage of in the past. So she knew she was doing the wrong thing. As said before she may have thought it fine as far as numbers but she also knew that the house rules require me to not only have payment but first and last names of all guests…which she never did do. Ironically the only reason I knew it happened was because I got a notice from my router that a new device, “Klhoe’s iPad” had logged on to my WiFi.
Great points about indicating to only use futon with sheets and to let me know but when she indicated (at my request) which beds she wanted set up she should have known that using another one that was not set up (because she had a different person in without permission) I wouldn’t think I would then need to tell her to only use the ones made up. My house rules are already very long but since this is not the first time this issue has come up I might as well add it. Thank you.

Also, I am considering getting rid of that double/single bunk futon due to not being able to deal with it myself easily and it being is difficult to make up the top bunk.

Actually, I thought this was more relaxed the hi used to deal with things like this. I definitely would have charged her in the past. Since this isolation (although yes it did get to me, among other things so have actually sought help to improve myself) I have decided I will only charge her if she brings up the $10.50 refund she was due for the the dog or the $20 for her son not being there that night. Maybe you confused me with someone else who used to be more relaxed than I was and am. :wink:. I have not been on here much the last 6-8 months or so I guess.

1 Like

The tub spout had an issue AFTER she used it because it almost fell off (hadn’t been properly secured) otherwise I would totally agree with you. But I do fully agree with your sentiment there.

The issue was not the lock and she had used it for a couple days prior with no issue so umm not sure the cause.

A futon is not off limits when it is not made up for sleeping but it should go without saying that it is for sitting in and not putting down for sleeping on by an unauthorized person.

I didn’t actually charge the full unauthorized person fee that you can a guest switcheroo, although I could have and it is stated on my house rules about this and requiring first Alf last names of all guests and we had discussed these things prior To her booking because she asked about paying for her son only some night but she didn’t know which.

To answer your question if she had asked I would have asked her if she was planning to use the same sheets or should I come swap them out for her.

I can understand being afraid to do something wrong but if so and you just asked (or for the most part, followed common sense) You would have been fine.

I’m improving thanx.

Actually it turns out she did give me a 4 for location because she said she didn’t realize that it wasn’t located as close to some of the things she wanted to go to as she had hoped…: :woman_shrugging:

Yes, totally makes sense. Thanx.

I think the original post was mine as well.

1 Like

If maybe add …”even though a colored one was provided as well.” Shows a little more how stupid the guest was to make the deliberate choice to use the white towel as s/he did.

Basically the things that would seem to be self-evident or common courtesy to us are not for many. It’s such a drag that hosts have to spell things out for guests that you would assume they would realize.
I’ve had friends come to visit who spilled something on the floor and instead of asking if I had a floor rag or paper towels, just grabbed the obviously clean dish towel I’d just put out, simply because it was the closest thing at hand. There’s so many people who operate without engaging their brain.

3 Likes

I see many silverplate bowls and platters at thrift shops. Nobody wants to take the time to polish it all any more.

Those strips work by emitting vapor that prevents tarnishing, so they work best in sealed containers like plastic tubs or ziploc bags. I found out the hard way that my shadow frame for Grandma’s souvenir spoon collection wasn’t airtight enough.

We used to feel the same way, with a full set from my parents, and a few nice other pieces. Fortunately, there are a few way that are fast and easy. We have done this and it really does work.

Much better than silver polish and rags.

http://www.darylscience.com/Demos/Silver.html

Lol, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that post.

Glad to “see” you @Militaryhorsegal

RR

2 Likes

From the description, it sounds like the sachets I use are made up of this. The packet is aluminium (tin foil here…)on one side, with a sort of lint t’other side, and stuff inside that I suspect is just baking powder. However, I don’t need to make up a tin foil bath; I just have to make sure that all the pieces of cutlery are touching another piece, and so on. I use an old plastic bin.

Agreed. My current guests are gens (although I have had to do a lot of extra hand holding and commo prompting as they are first timers). Th wife actually asked during check-in if I had any rag towels she could use to wipe off the dogs’ feet! Interestingly I just had two BRAND NEW towels stained by the previous guest so I had them home trying to resolve it. I may start doing that with the stained towels…putting them neatly UNDER the sink…that way they are clean and neat and accessible for that kind of thing and if they really want more towels/washcloths for themselves they can choose to use the clean stained ones if they don’t want to have me bring them more good ones. This might help also for then to see what kind of stains and crap guests are actually doing to my towels!!!

Thanx. June has actually been my best month ever as far as bookings $. I am licking out I guess although it still has not made up for the first 5 months as far as last year’s average.

1 Like

Did you use bleach to get out the red wine stains?

Yes I think I did…

RR

1 Like