Review advice for blood everywhere

I’d like your opinion on leaving a review for a guest, please.

A male guest booked one night saying he was here to visit his girlfriend. They check out the next morning and my cleaning team arrives to find blood everywhere. On the white comforter, white sheets, mattress pad under the sheets, and on a throw blanket that was on a loveseat. The couple had wadded all of the bloody linens together and left them in a large pile on top of the bed and put the throw pillows for the bed on top of the bloody linens. They used no towels at all, so there was zero attempt to clean anything. There’s a washer and dryer in the unit, and there was no attempt to wash anything, nor did the guest let me know what had happened.

I understand women unexpectedly start their period, and I understand accidents happen. But the lack of any attempt to clean it up or warn me about it is a bit bothersome to me.

Any words of advice on a delicate way to leave a review. He was not a terrible guest, but he was not a good one either. I really have no desire to be mean about what happened.

2 Likes

Reviews should be honest and unemotional. A shorter version of what you posted here would be appropriate. One note, you said “blood everywhere” so I was expecting in the bathroom, walls, rugs, kitchen. It seems the blood was confined to the bed. The throw from the loveseat is the one out of place item. Not using towels is odd given the situation.

As for not telling you what happened, I’m not surprised. As for not attempting to wash it, that may have been for the best. Simply washing and drying without proper pre treatment would be more likely to set the stains in.

Would you host them again?

My review might be something like this:

“This couple booked one night and left behind multiple blood stained linens. Since they didn’t inform me of the accident in a timely manner, several items were permanently ruined. I would not host again but another host might not have the same issue.”

Note, thiis may not have been an accident. If they wanted to have sex while menstruating, they may have thought hiring someone else to clean the mess was a great idea.

4 Likes

Just leave an honest factual review.

What did they do well

What they didn’t do so well - left lots of heavily soiled bed linens and marked them down for cleanliness.

By the way I would never want a guest to attempt to sort out stains - they can make it worse ie trying to wash blood stained linens rather than soak in cold water first .

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mention it in the review but I would ding the guest on cleanliness, perhaps 1 star.

1 Like

Do you charge a cleaning fee?

2 Likes

I do. $65. I’ve filed a claim. With this much photographic evidence I feel like airbnb will award me the nominal amount I’m asking for. Just wasn’t sure how to write the review. Honesty is definitely best, though.

1 Like

Spray with peroxide, soak in cold water, wash in cold water……blood disappears like magic!

4 Likes

Why be delicate? You should review honestly. Surely you want your fellow hosts to be warned about this?

Be thankful that they didn’t try to clean up. Blood washes out easily enough but if they’d tried to clean up using a high heat, that would have set in the blood and the items would be permanently damaged.

7 Likes

As others have pointed out, you really don’t want guests to attempt to wash bodily fluids or other stains out of your linens and towels. In the case of blood, unless it has been dried on there for a long time, it comes out easily with a cold water soak and hydrogen peroxide, as Deb mentioned. You can’t be just throwing away linens because they have blood or other stains on them- you need to research stain removal techniques.

Yes, leaving a pile of blood soaked bedding like that and not mentioning it is quite immature and disrespectful. It’s understandably embarrassing to have to fess up to, but mature adults should be able to overcome their embarrassment and do the right thing. I am a homeshare host and had a guest come to me one morning with a mortified expression on her face and even though it was quite obviously embarrasing for her to say, told me she had gotten diarrhea in the night and before she realized it and could run to the bathroom, had soiled the sheets a bit. She said there was no way she wanted me to have to touch them, so could I please show her how to work the washing machine (which is not normally on offer to guests).

I put her at ease by telling her not to be embarrassed, that I had had a similar thing happen to me once when I was travelling and eaten something bad, let her put the sheets in the machine, turned it on, and handed her a clean sheet set.

If I had an entire house or apt. rental, I would put something in the house manual along the lines of:
“Hosts understand that accidents happen, whether it’s females getting their period during the night on the sheets, knocking over something breakable, or spilling something on the carpet. Please do not attempt to repair the damage or deal with stains yourself, you could make it worse, and we have techniques for dealing with many things like that. All we ask is that you notify us of such things when they occur, no need to feel embarrassed. Trying to hide it, “fix” it, or simply walking away as if it’s unimportant is disrespectful of the host’s property and could result in guests being charged for irretrievably damaged items that could have been easily dealt with had we been given the opportunity to attend to it in a timely manner. Thank you.”

2 Likes

It’s not as if they did nothing. They piled them all together. That makes me think that it’s either what they truly thought was the best thing to do or was at least the best thing they came up with to do. But they did do something. They didn’t just leave the linens with blood all over the place, they gathered them into a pile. They weren’t “everywhere” and that’s entirely relevant.

I don’t see any disrespect. What would you have them do differently? I mean really really when you take everything into account. That’s the question I’m asking myself when I read this. What would you have them do?

You said it was a one-night booking. So they share a bottle of wine and turn the lights off and get down to it. They probably didn’t see the blood until the next morning when they woke up to check out. (I’m only one woman but I can tell you that it’s really really easy to start your period while you’re having sex and not notice a thing until the next morning. And, truly, it can look just as gruesome without any sex).

Why would they contact you? They’re checking out. The assumption is that someone is coming in to clean after you check out. (Someone should at least be checking the unit immediately after check-out if they’re not). A lot of hosts even make a point of telling guests that the cleaners come right on time so they need to make sure to check out on time.

So they left the linens in a pile for the cleaners (e.g. presumed professionals at cleaning blood off of linens) and checked-out like they were supposed to.

You said there’s a washer and dryer in the unit but would a one-night stay even notice the laundry machines? And how would they have time to do laundry if they’re checking out? Is there detergent? Is there stain remover? Maybe they assumed the cleaners would know best what to do with the stains. It’s a great assumption and it actually served you.

Ultimately, it’s ideal that they didn’t do anything to the linens other than gather them into a pile. It’s best that they didn’t wash and dry them, even if they had time, because it would make it more work to remove the stains.

And you should be glad that they didn’t use your towels in an attempt to clean it because then you’d have towels you’d have to scrub blood out of as well.

Most importantly, there is no reason in the world that those stains can’t be removed. Blood is the easiest stain to remove. Get yourself some enzyme cleaner (I recommend Bac-Out), an old toothbrush and some of the liquid spray Oxiclean.

I know the extra work sucks but the reason it’s extra is that it doesn’t happen all of the time. IMO this simply files under the cost of doing business and shouldn’t be mentioned in the review.

If a guest asked me what they should do if they woke up on the morning of checkout to realize they got their period without realizing it and blood was on stuff, I would tell them to do exactly what your guests did.

Put it in a pile. Don’t wash them or try to clean it up with the towels, check-out when you’re supposed to and have a safe trip home.

5 Likes

If I were a guest who managed to get blood all over the sheets, the mattress pad, the duvet, and a throw, I would contact the host and ask how they wanted me to deal with it- should I fill the bathtub or washing machine with cold water and leave them to soak?

No way I’d just pile them up and walk away unless the host told me to.

2 Likes

Well, I would certainly never want to stay at a listing where the host resented taking 3 minutes out of their precious time to respond to a guest’s attempt to act respectfully and responsibly.

1 Like

Your posts here are unassailably logical, persuasive, convincing.

Still, if I were the guest I would feel compelled to acknowledge the situation, apologize for it and leave you a message.

Even after reading your excellent posts – because I think that most Hosts would find ‘information content’ if not disrespect in the failure to leave a message, however illogical.

Thank you, Mr. Spock.

Yeah, I think I would too if I were the guest. I expect that many guests would.

My comment was ripped out of context and then generalized into some kind of affront about guests sending messages. It is not what I said, it is not what I think and it feels like an absurd discussion so I’ve removed the comment/discussion.

This isn’t a general discourse on guest communication. We’re specifically discussing a review for a specific set of guests with a very specific set of circumstances.

I’m only speaking for myself, as a host, which is all I can really do, about this specific review.

I don’t personally find it relevant that these guests got some blood on some linens. It’s natural stuff that happens with human beings and it came from a wholly normal (not negligent) use of linens, furniture and Airbnbs in general. I don’t personally find it relevant that they didn’t message about it because it was a one-night stay and they were checking out anyway.

Obviously some hosts will have a different POV. I get that. However, I would say to @Tennisgal if you do decide to mention it, I would only hope that you’ll avoid using the phrase “soiled linens”. It conjures up an entirely different picture of the situation for me (:poop:) It just doesn’t seem fair. It would be better to say “blood on the linens” for an accurate depiction.

1 Like

I use this stuff – plant-enzyme-based cleaner… won’t damage fibers like peroxide or bleach. The [fresh] blood stains literally disappear as I am standing there watching after spraying pre-laundry:

He was a horrible guest, and I would say so in my review.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this recommendation!!!

@muddy This! Cold water, for sure! I have not had as easy a time as many on this forum with blood stains. Maybe it’s the time element or the different materials, but some seem to take forever to get out. I’m dealing with a loved one that is on blood thinners and I never know when I will have to deal with it or how long the blood might have been present, at times. Soaking in cold water often mitigates the problem.

Due to the large groups of athletes that stay in my property I have decided to post a sign in the laundry room asking them to soak bloody linens in cold water (there is a large utility sink). It really has gotten to that point, I hate to say. That, and the teenage girls that ball up the sheets and stuff them under the mattress when they’ve leaked. That’s fun.

1 Like

I buy it in the gallon concentrate, and then dilute some of it into 1:7 and 1:3 sprays. I also add a squirt of concentrate to buckets of hot water when washing walls, floors, kitchen cabinets etc. I find it cleans as well as commercial cleaners like Mr. Clean without leaving a “hospital smell” or chemical residues. (molecules of plant enzymes fall apart as soon as the water evaporates.) I’ve used it for 15 years… long before Airbnb.

Only available from the manufacturer. Shipping free in continental USA.

https://biogreenclean.com/

1 Like

I notice the ingredients seem to be fatty acids and grain alcohol. I wonder if it makes a good mixed drink. LOL.

4 Likes