Resignation? Quit hosting?

Hi @Andrewm3773
This group is international
We’ve discussed the USA temporary ban on evictions of Long Term Tenants in several threads. You may wish to search this site & read

I don’t know your state BUT the CDC issued an eviction ban for long term tenants unable to pay for COVID19 related reasons—not a blanket “no evictions”. The states can make it broader. Short term rentals are not covered by the CDC rules.

This forum has many threads on the pros & cons of long term rentals. I hate that you & your rental were abused. You may can glean some tips from existing threads of what commonly occurs and how to involve Airbnb for any property damage reimbursement (ok rarely will they payout the host guarantee but you can ask)

About “many hosts…squatters” comment there are state & federal programs for landlord relief (get paid) if the tenant cannot. A good friend just received 6 months back rent under the NC program.

Based upon your post, you could benefit from some of the wisdom shared by this group.

Anyway look through the site for valued info. Also to see how this group interacts. Your first post here doesn’t fit.

Best wishes
Anne

1 Like

Hat tip, you said it much nicer than me. I think you’d make a good god mother, interested?

JF

4 Likes

Wow, you actually hang out with guests… Cook together and have a chat?

I couldn’t further from that if i tried…

I want the least amount of interaction with guests. i provide a service, i get paid. It’s all business!

1 Like

There are many states where it is very imprudent to do any stay exceeding 28 days. Especially CA. You don’t state where you are, so it is what it is. Oh - and CDC covid laws only apply to financially related non-eviction - all other reasons continued to be valid. Squatting is a totally different thing.
As long-time landlords we would NEVER do an LTR using any OTA, Air or otherwise. Only direct with BIG up front deposits and our own contract. Frankly, IMO it is beyond silly to ever do a long-term stay using any OTA, at least in the US.
If you are going to be a landlord or STR host you should get VERY familiar with all your applicable laws.

2 Likes

People host for different reasons. For some it’s just business, for others it’s not. That doesn’t mean they would just do it for free, but that the money aspect is just a part of the equation.

I didn’t start hosting to make a living off it. I started because my guest room sat empty for most of the year unless I had friends or family visiting.

I have a lot of interaction with most of my guests. We chat over coffee, share a bottle of wine, share a meal, have gone out to lunch or dinner or a drink together, I’ve taken them for a beach day to remote beaches they’d never know about as a tourist and couldn’t get to without a car.

Of course, these things happen with guests I get along with well and who I enjoy hanging with. Some guests are out and about, busy, keep to themselves mostly.

But I have met some really cool people from all over the world, who have broadened my knowledge of other cultures, through home-sharing, and kept in touch with some of them.

I much prefer the guests who feel like old friends than those I have little interaction with.

6 Likes

I’d like to stay at your place - this is the kind of experience that makes Airbnb more than a hotel. So looking forward to being able to enjoy having guests again, whenever that is!

3 Likes

Curious- are you referring to 30 day + rentals or STR’s of 1 day to 3 wks.?
Thanks,
Lynn

Well, you are always welcome. Would be fun to meet another host from this forum. I really hope to open again in the late fall. I miss hosting.

2 Likes