Requiring vaccine proof in Connecticut? What is the definitie word?

Of course I can ask ‘at the door’ but I would like to say something like ‘vaccinated only’ or ‘please provide proof that you are vaccinated’ etc.

I’d like to only have vaccinated guests. I am not sure what airbnb thinks if I require it (by putting it in the description or house rules, for example).

I also want to know if I can ‘decline’ reservation requests for this reason as well.

What does the hive mind think as of today? It’s in my private home, shared bath etc. I know I can refuse animals and children…

I got a request to book for two weeks from a woman who sounded lovely. Our listing says “we welcome COVID-19 vaccinated guests. Both of us are vaccinated,” or something very close to that. It’s in the first paragraph.

After she booked, and we messaged back and forth a couple of times, she said she just noticed the vaccination statement, and she isn’t yet. She’s still deciding whether she’s going to.

Anyway, she said she’d have to cancel. Fine with me. I told her we appreciated her honesty and that she should be able to cancel without any penalty, since it was the same day she booked for two weeks in the future.

We exchanged a few more nice notes with each other after she canceled. She said that when she is fully vaccinated, if she has reason to be back in my area, she’d love to stay here. I said we’d welcome her.

It all worked like a charm.

She is, by the way, a Superhost, too.

2 Likes

From the Airbnb host community. Looks like anyone requiring proof of vaccination for home sharing, has company!

While deciding a friend caught Covid so now has antibodies.

The science powers that be estimate after Covid infection the antibodies provide protection for about 5 months, approximately the same as a vaccine.

Vaccine-requiring hosts may wish to consider how they plan to handle this.

Does AIRBNB have a policy for this? In other words, will I be kicked off (for example) if I require vaccinatrion?

I’ll still want to see a vaccination card. Anyone can say they’ve had COVID. Whether they’ve really had it is another thing. And whether they have any immunity is still another thing.

4 Likes

Based upon the moderated Airbnb community comments, hosts are doing it. I haven’t read all the posts but I have not seen a moderator comment about “not allowed” or “ not supported” or “against policies”.

2 Likes

It’s recommended that they be vaccinated when the infection is over, so that’s no excuse.

3 Likes

The antibodies reduce every month offering less and less protection, so it’s not the same as having the vaccine .

Importantly we don’t know how long the impact of the vaccines will last.

Which vaccine are you referring to where there is medical trial evidence it only lasts for five months ? @Annet3176

You are correct

I read medical & nursing care articles almost every day. I don’t remember the source. Plus it is changing everyday

Last December when people were trying to get vaccinated but supplies weren’t available, my friend had Covid19. She was Miserable but recovered.

She asked how long her new antibodies would provide protection. I did research and found it to be 5 months.

At the time they were anticipating the Covid19 vaccine would behave like the traditional flu shot and have a 5 month efficacy.

I just checked the CDC website. In answer to the question “How long does protection from a COVID vaccine last?” it says this: “We don’t know how long protection lasts for those who are vaccinated.”

I should think it also depends on the individual. Some might have antibodies for longer than others. Most of us of a certain age had chicken pox and measles as kids- there weren’t vaccines for those back then. And most people then never had those diseases again. Yet there are some people who have had them more than once.

So I doubt that 5 months is some antibody time frame that would apply to everyone equally.

Everyone over 50 should get vaccinated against shingles, which is a VERY painful recurrence of the chicken pox virus, an excruciating nerve inflammation.

2 Likes

The shingrix vaccine can have some miserable BRIEF side effects but is well worth getting to protect the recipient from a painful shingles outbreak and to protect others. (Sounds familiar…)

A surprising number of people have not been vaccinated against chicken pox or had it.

The exudate (oozing) from shingles blisters contains the virus & is highly contagious through contact. Meaning if the person with shingles touches an oozing blister then touches a handrail, then soon after, a never vaccinated person touches the handrail then rubs their eye, they may contract chicken pox. if the eye is infected the person may be blinded.