Required Seven Night Stay

Hello,

At my condo there is a minimum of a 7 day stay but I have noticed only a couple of people following those rules on VRBO and AirBNB.

Does anyone have this issue? Is there anyway around it? I feel that a week stay could hurt my overall business.

Ugh. Kudos for giving this a go. No way I would Airbnb with an HOA because of things like that.

I don’t have an answer for that but how’s the reno going? Are you keeping the white appliances?

I am about to sign our contract for renovations today. We are going to keep them. Based on the advice I got here I decided I would be throwing away money.

3 Likes

Oh, now the hard part starts. Good luck.

1 Like

I can see a way around it… No instant book, no minimum stay on Air when the 2 night inquiry comes in book a week for the price of two nights. Then you have a contract for a week, you cannot help it they left sooner.

Now this would require the guests be co conspirators and a guest could just stay the week anyway so there is a risk involved.

I hate HOA’s most will not even allow chickens!

RR

1 Like

Brilliant!!!

Thank you so much!

1 Like

In theory, yes. In practice, I’m not sure how this would work. You’d have to communicate this strategy to the guest on the platform, and I think a host wouldn’t want to leave that sort of trail in plain sight for a CSR to read.

1 Like

I think the main barrier is a fellow resident or host who reports you to the HOA. Airbnb doesn’t care do they?

2 Likes

The majority of the people there are also renting their condos out too. It’s almost like a resort. So much so there’s a vacation rental manager that have an office located at the building. I didn’t want to use them because they take 20%.

I wonder if they’d even notice?

So you are saying that most of the building is STR and a majority violate the 7 day minimum?

Airbnb (again, in theory) asks its hosts to comply with all regulations and requirements. Talking about how you are circumventing your HOA’s rules on the platform seems like asking for trouble.

YES! A lot of people offer a minimum of 3 nights.

Dear Guest, I am happy to have you here for dates X-Y for $XX The HOA only allows 7 day rentals so in order to comply the special offer shows a checkout date of Z, thank you for understanding and I look forward to hosting you.

As long as the guest does not overstay I think the OP would be covered. The reservation shows one week.

Now a sneaky nosy neighbor could actually make an inquiry and discover the ruse but that is unlikely, but possible. There are risks. The HOA’s remedy is to tell you to stop, then its fines and court most likely. Stop before it gets out of hand if you get caught. Read the HOA bylaws and be sure of the consequences and risks.

RR

3 Likes

Can you do five night rentals with two free nights which iguals seven days? This would comply with the seven nights requirement but guests only pay for five and probably won’t even use the two free nights.

5 Likes

I have only had two 5 nighters in 2 years, I don’t know about the OP but that would do me under.

RR

1 Like

Ok, that works - it doesn’t say anything about circumventing the policy, or that the guest is required to stay those days. Nice wording!

1 Like

I think I could do that, I can’t control if people leave early :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One more thing just came to mind, your calendar will be blocked the 7 days. If weekends are the goal I would have a Friday only check in so its opened by next friday…

RR

5 Likes

Actually Airbnb is not the only way to hook STR so you wouldn’t necessarily need to block out the whole time. Maybe put in things to note that if they book less than 7 nights they must get approval or set up a rule?

I can’t imagine that the 20% manager is enforcing the 7 night rule either…INQUIRE within and see what you find out.

The 20% manager has their own office which is actually another company but the represent so many condos they allow them to have an office. There is a separate manager who actually manages the HOA and property.

I don’t think I want to ask either one of them.

1 Like