Request identity documents for check-in

I feel like the more they feel entitled to withold information from hosts sharing their homes, the more I have to add to my rules - must provided a contact number and legal name for occupancy records (if not shared by ABB/ VRBO due to guest using alias, etc)

Honestly, to me, it depends on how they respond. Both of the guests whose profiles said phone number not available had face photos, full name, good reviews, and were immediately forthcoming when I asked for their phone number and email address.
I hate long lists of rules and am not inclined to add more.

So I asked my guest who checked in today (who is charming, BTW) why she made her phone number not available. She wasnā€™t even aware of it.
Said sheā€™s had an Airbnb account for years, and might have checked off not to share it long ago, because she tends not to want to give it out indiscriminately, but honestly couldnā€™t remember having chosen that option.

And as I suspected, as a guest, she had no idea that guest phone numbers are not shown to hosts until a booking is confirmed.

The other guest who showed ā€œphone number not availableā€ is coming on the 24th and Iā€™m going to ask her, too.

2 Likes