Reported another host... AITA?

It seems that simple, until you realize the scale of waste. 1 person writes the message, and as of now, over 200 people read it. 1 person saves 5 seconds by writing an obscure acronym without defining it. Then, say 150 out of 200 readers take 2 minutes to look up what it means. 300 minutes of peoples’ time wasted plus electricity, bandwidth, etc. There is a real cost associated with it.

Not meant to be a flame, just something to think about. This is something I continue to bring up to software engineers I mentor on writing good documentation.

1 Like

As @georgiahost pointed out, the OP defined the acronym in her very first follow-up post, the 4th post of this thread. It was defined as soon as one person asked what it meant.

If anything, the “waste” was people going off-topic to criticize her choice of words. It would have been less wasteful to just flag those posts as off-topic as that is all they were.

If the consensus is that this is a diverse international forum of all ages then everyone is going to have to deal with diverse communication and not only what they already know and are already comfortable with.

3 Likes

Honestly, I have no idea where everyone finds the time to talk about all this stuff! :rofl:

3 Likes

I figured that out immediately. :thinking:

NTA. I’ve “flagged” my share of listings that seem fake or are simply inaccurate. I don’t think AirBnB even looks at these flagged listings, though, since they seem to stay up.

Sounds like I’m due another look at the AirBnB sub just for the laughs. I’m politically left but not of the “kill all landlords” variety. I haven’t been /r/AirBnB since I was a brand-new host and hadn’t found this forum. I found the subreddit wasn’t so useful because more guests than hosts were posting there.

1 Like

FWIW (:wink:) I am with those who say this is a fuss about nothing. Acronyms are standard these days and we are on the internet, after all. It takes seconds to find out what an unfamiliar acronym means. I’d not come across AITA before but I enjoyed trying to work it out (before I gave up and googled).

I’d have to dispute the notion that this is an “international forum” as well. It seems more like 95% North American, 4% UK and 1% “other”

1 Like

True, however I am actually happy to LEARN NEW Acronyms especially if they are hip today…because I realize I am no longer even close to being so.

2 Likes

Ok, at risk of being flagged, what does this one mean? It’s the second time I’ve seen it on here today…

I did too but didn’t find it, which was why I asked publicly.

It answers the question: AITA? NTA.

Get it?

1 Like

Thanx. I’m a bit slow…

I kept thinking: Now To Add.

And not much of it is new … after all most of us have been using WTF and FFS for a long long time :wink:

1 Like

Not the asshole. :slight_smile: 202020

Back to topic… I had some host inquiry me demanding my STR number within 24 hours as it was not on my listing or he was reporting me to the city and AirBnB. I responded that I did not have one or need one. He reported all 3 of my listings. I had to explain to AirBnB that I was in Bexar County, but unincorporated just outside of San Antonio for my listings to stay, so they do respond to reports from my personal experience.

2 Likes

I’m surprised we don’t hear more reports of disgruntled guests threatening to report illegal hosts if the hosts don’t accede to their demands. I guess because it’s more work than review extortion?

I’m also surprised and disappointed that a host would do that since you answered that you were operating legally.

1 Like

It was about a week after the new STR permit requirement in San Antonio went into effect. I’m pretty sure he was trying hard to eliminate competition. Per HA/VBRO there were over 3,500+ houses in the San Antonio area then, they are now reporting 2,800+, so a lot of them did not get permits is my guess. The filing fee per house or apartment was $250, you needed to submit a floor plan to the Fire Marshal who limited the guests based on it and a bunch of other rules to get the permit.

1 Like

That host WTA. If you are going to be that A, make sure you know where the listings you are reporting are located and if they are subject to the law.

1 Like

Unbelievable. Vigilante activity goes above and beyond… I fully support reporting listings where there’s blatant disregard for the rules and where hosts allow the AirBnB to be disruptive to the surrounding area, but to go and seek out listings and create problems is just beyond the pale…

2 Likes

I’m gonna need an excel sheet to keep track of the abbreviations. FFS and AITA and WTA were unknowns to me. But of course, I used to be a great speller but that skill is dwindling with age.

2 Likes