Repeat guests & review rate

Hi all!

I’m new to this forum but I am a single female host, and have been hosting my spare bedroom occasionally for around 6 months now, super super cheap, between £15-£24 a night - I’ve probably had about 20 bookings, all 5* except for 1 at 4*, as below, so I am a 4.9* host.

I am set to reach super host status on 1st April.

I have a question about repeat bookings - I have one gentleman who stays for work twice a week, he has separate single night bookings for Mondays and Thursdays for the next 8 weeks.
The only aspect of superhost which I am lower on is my review rate - it’s around 60% so I don’t want it to drop.

Would this mean that this guy would need to leave a review for the majority of all those individual stays for me to keep my status?

I did ask him if he’d mind leaving a review the first time he stayed - it was my first ever 4 star review and I was horrified, even though he left a glowing review comment, and then proceeded to book all those further dates and said how much he liked the place?! His first language isn’t English so I didn’t ask why I only got 4 stars at the time.
I don’t really want to ask him to leave reviews again as they might all be 4*, and it’s a lot of times to ask him to do it, but I don’t want my review rate to drop below being a super host… does anyone have any thoughts?

I think you need to call Airbnb and ask.

He’s booked with you because you’re cheap. At the same time he was disappointed that he didn’t get a stay equivalent to the ritz Carlton just 2 minutes from
the city centre so you got a 4 star review. Still you were much cheaper than everyone else so he’s booked again. Don’t let him stay he’s already snubbed your hospitality once.

Call Airbnb and say you’re not comfortable hosting this guest.

4 Likes

Search this forum to see what many hosts think about being Superhosts. For many of us (some Superhosts, others not) see it as not being worth the bother. I certainly don’t think it’s worth worrying about.

2 Likes

Just today I adapted our in-house feedback form to kind of influence the guests into leaving great star ratings. I don’t know if it’s going to work :sweat_smile:, but it works like this:
We ask them to give a star rating for several elements of our service. They only have the option of giving 3, 4 or 5 stars, and I explained these star ratings as:
5 stars = Truly good ! We were happy with the service provided.
4 stars = Just OK. Things need to be improved !
3 stars = I want to cry and leave ! Shut down this place !

I am probably naive :innocent: in thinking that this will save us from the occasional bad rating, but I wanted to give it a try.
I don’t mind a 4 star rating, but the 3 star ratings get me down.

1 Like

Verbal is better than written, imo. For one thing, People Don’t Read. For another, you can get a sense of their reaction. Some people will just say outright that they will give a 5 star review.

Good advice, we are going to speak about the star rating to our guests, the moment we hand over the feedback form. Thanks! Great advice!

I think it’s probably better to do so at checkout, if possible. At any rate, that’s what I do. At that point, they already know what they think of the listing. If you do it prematurely you risk sounding pushy.

As far as future repeat guests goes (as it’s probably too late now as he’d get cancellation fees), have them pay you directly and just block your calendar. They get a cheaper stay and you get the same amount of money and a better review rate if you’re worried about it. The only downside is you don’t get the “protections” of AirBnB. I only do this with guests I like.

1 Like

I also imagine his booking 1 nights 3 days apart might stop you getting more profitable one week bookings too (much less cleaning for you!)

1 Like