Regulation of short-term lets/Airbnb in the UK

Hi,

I am a reporter for BBC Politics online. I am working on an article on the rise of Airbnb and short-term lets and government attempts to regulate the market in the UK. I am looking to speak to landlords/hosters to get their perspective on these issues.

I would be interested to speak to anyone who uses Airbnb or similar sites to let out property in the UK, whether for a bit of extra cash or in a professional capacity. I would be particularly interested to speak to people who have views on whether regulation of short-term lets is a good idea (eg compulsory registration of short-term lets, limits on number of days per year which a property can be rented as a short-term let).

If you think you can help please reply on here.

Many thanks,

Becky Morton

I use Airbnb in Bristol.

I am in favour of regulation of the market in areas with many properties available for STR because of the impact on communities and affordable accommodation. (I am probably a little unusual in this respect).

However you might be better speaking to hosts in London where regulations apply (There is a London Airbnb forum).

If you want to talk to me you can private message me.

I think there is scope and, in some locations need, for regulation or rather market intervention where there is an identifiable effect on housing supply and the presence of social impacts arising from this. Undoubtedly areas like London as @Helsi mentions this can be the case and local measures are in place (90 days a year I believe).

Any intervention should, in my opinion, be assessed and administered at the local level however; a generic macro government policy would be ineffective. This may be best achieved through the housing and potentially planning functions of local authorities. Both of these could require amendments to secondary if not primary legislation; this would seem to complement the government’s current housing policy direction (such as the freehold market). A house, whether rented on a short term on not, is at present in the majority of cases in planning law still a house. You can’t regulate occupancy in this scenario without measure like London have adopted. Although I question how effective this is - it leaves a property available for 75% of the year which would not really guarantee a good supply of housing a permanent basis. Tenants (short tenancy) could be forced to hop from place to place.

It will be interesting in what legislative angle would be studied and how changes could be delivered. The registration of ‘hosts’ as you suggest could bring control, funded through processing fees to cover local authority costs for administration.

I also would assume the article is focusing on UK policy and not those of devolved regions (planning and housing are both devolved matters in Scotland for example).

Thanks for your reply. If you would be willing to have a chat with me over the phone about these issues would you mind dropping me an email on becky.morton@bbc . co . uk? If so could you also let me know how you use Airbnb eg letting out a spare room, multiple properties…?

Thanks very much!

Becky

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to look at potential legislation including a bill proposed by an MP for short-term lets to be registered. If you would be willing to have a chat with me over the phone about these issues would you mind dropping me an email on becky.morton@bbc . co . uk? If so could you also let me know how you use Airbnb eg letting out a spare room, multiple properties…?

Thanks very much!

Becky