Reducing energy usage

It’s a parabolic aluminumized reflector. These are very commercial looking and that’s what they are meant for. I would not use these in a residential setting for aesthetic reasons.

1 Like

I see. Would it be reasonable to replace fluorescent tubes contained in “regular” holders, as shown in Chris’s second image, with LEDs, in your opinion?

Is that USD 2.33 or some other currency? I forget your location.

USD.

They also make LED-filled tubes that can be inserted in the fluorescent tube fixtures.

I’m not aware of anything like that here. Do you have a link? Thanks.

Example, but not recommendation:

That’s great! Thanks, @felixcat. Looks like I can get them here too - e.g.

Excellent. Must get on that.

1 Like

Off topic and --disclaimer-- I’m not as techhy as you guys, but I’ve always thought the whole switch-to-CFL thing seemed a bit dodgy. Not only did they make no difference in my electric bill, they often blew out older circuits, the light quality from them is crappy and worst of all you need a hazmat team to throw one away. Just what is more green about bulbs that contain mercury?

I have not tried LEDs because I have a zillion packages of CFLs that I still haven’t used.

Before the nanny state banned incandescent bulbs, I went and bought up all the last remaining boxes I could find. The light is better and just what the heck is so wrong about them?

Agreed, mercury is a big minus point.

I never liked the light, personally. And they consume more electricity. And they get hot. One really nice thing about LEDs is cold light. You can actually hold the things in your hand while they are on. They are cool to the touch.

1 Like

I used the older version of these.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/lfb/f/fp-929001149902/fp-929001149902_pss_en_aa_001.pdf

They are special purpose for lighting op my pictures in the shop window.
Too bright for home use.

But I see prices have dropped a lot since I bought them 2 years ago.

Carefully read the comments before buying these, you need to know what you are doing:

Question: can we replace this in place of old tube light without changing choke and holder connections
Answer: No. You have to bypass all electronics (Ballast/Choke/Starter)
and you just need to supply Line & Neutral at one end (Denoted by L
& N on the Tube). Other side is internally shorted.

Yes, noted. Thank you.