Reducing energy usage

Oh, I see. I didn’t know there was such a thing.

1 Like

Everything exists in the USA lol! :hotdog::watermelon::football::8ball::tokyo_tower::ferris_wheel:

O, if it has a separate AC then it makes sense. One unit can run an additional 150$ a month. We have central air, thats why we dont see any changes in our bill, may be so insignificant that we dont even notice.

1 Like

Hmm, well the increase is around USD 70 odd. Our most recent total monthly electricity bill is around USD 130. Normal usage would be around USD 60. Still, it seems a bit high to me.

Energy usage from lighting costs peanuts (at least in a residential context, you’re not lighting a store 24/7 with thousands of lights sources) ; the most costly is cooling/heating and hot water. The increase of your electricity bill is likely due to the use of A/C. You might want to investigate smart thermostats that lower or shut off the A/C when guests are away.

1 Like

That sounds like a good hint. That assumes that the guests aren’t shutting off the A/C themselves when they leave, right? Are these things activated by sensors?

Here we only receive the electricity bill every 2 months. I sure wonder how the consumption bas been affected after renting the 2 guest rooms.

How do hosts average the costs (Water, gas, electricity etc.) and proportionally calculate the net income of Airbnb? Is it by just evening out the daily usage based on the monthly report or some other formula?

I think the consumption for 2 people is different than for 2 and, of course, tourists who are out whole day and people who only stay at home vary too. Do you guys make any distinction or you just add and divide the whole thing?

Even if not for pricing I would still like to have better understand of the consumption.

Yes, KWh is the standard measure for power consumption.

With replacing CFL’s one still has to think about the return on investment.
I still have many CFL’s around, and I only replace them when they are broken, or if they are used a lot.

Replacing a CFL with a LED in a location that is used only 1 or to hours a month is wasting money.

Like you can see in the post from @Maggieroni, you can save about 50%. But a CFL already is very efficient.
The kilowatts and annual operating costs numbers in his table are largely exaggerated.
You can save $43.80 per year… when you replace 30 bulbs.
Replacing 1 bulb saves $1.45 per year when the bulb burns 4.5 hours a day.

So again, you should not replace everything without thinking it through. The investment might take too long to return.
Unless the bulbs are used a lot, I only replace them when to old one breaks or starts taking a long time to warm up.

Hi @Chris,

I see. Thanks for the helpful advice. We don’t have that many bulbs, and the ones we have are mostly used quite regularly, I think. As I said earlier, we mostly use fluorescent tubes. Oh, incidentally

Are you saying the tubes holders should contain mirrors? Ours certainly don’t, and I’ve never seen one that does, afaik.

Led have many advantages including being far more attractive and coming in all the standard shapes that the old incandescent came in. PAR, R30, R40, candelabra, etc. and I don’t know where you live but I have 4 bulbs in each of my 5 ceiling fans alone. 2 each in my dining room and entry fixtures, 2 each in my bathrooms. That’s 24, in my whole house I have more than 30 and since I replaced them that meter spins much slower. My bill is lower by 8-10 bucks a month. I bought them at Costco and on Amazon. I paid under $18 for four very nice flood LEDs that I will never have to replace. There are even cheaper ones as well. Read the entire article for all the benefits I only pasted a screen shot.

1 Like

Some people also think the light looks better.

Faheem, the light quality is nicer than CFL and they come in all color temperatures from warm to daylight. About 2500-2700 is a nice warm white we are all used to. It’s measured in kelvins. Four 75w incandescents can be replaced and duplicated by 4 12w LEDs. That’s 48 watts of power use instead of 300 for the same amount of light and LEDs are cool to the touch. Also the life of CFL lamps is greatly reduced if you switch them on and off repeatedly.

1 Like

i don’t know how to choose colors. I have someone who gets them for us. The sole criterion we’ve used is that the bulbs should have a 2 year warranty, which seems pretty good. The default light color is a sort of soothing pearly white, which seems quite Ok. Certainly much better than incandescents.

Does that not apply to LEDs then?

No it’s completely different technology. LEDs don’t need to warm up they are instant on.

Ah, interesting. That’s something to keep in mind, then. Thanks.

Never having to replace LED’s is a big lie by the industry.
Yes the SMD’s last forever, but the the rest of the electronics do not. Especially the cheaper ones do not last forever.
I think I have over a 100 LED bulbs in my building (and at least 100 more CFL’s, hologen and even some incandescent) and every 2 months there is a LED that stops working.

And yes, you can save 10 bucks a month, but you had to invest at least 200 if you bought decent ones with a good powerfactor, and good CRI.

In my shop window I have 6 GU5.3 LED’s costing €30 each, because I need the Lumens an CRI to replace 35W Halogen spots . ROI is only 0.5 years because they run 24/7.

With other lights I really calculate the ROI because for some of them it is really too long.
My breakfast room has 30 CFL’s, but the lights are only used 4 hours a day, for about 60 days per year.
So not worth the investment to replace them early.

Yes, a good tube holder looks like this:

http://proluxeersel.nl/files/Opbouw%20armatuur%20Classic%20ASN.N_1.jpg

If you got the ones without mirror (like below), replacing by LED could be a good option.

http://www.ledsky.be/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/4/04600.jpg

That’s odd. The ones we bought were around Rs. 450 each for a 9 watt bulb with a 2 year warranty. They seem fine. This is about 6 Euros. € is Euros, right? What is the wattage of those bulbs? Is there anything special about them? The ones I’m talking about are just regular bulbs.

Wow. I’ve never seen anything like this. We certainly don’t have anything like this installed here. What are these things called? Your second picture is what we have. I suppose the purpose of these fancy holders is to reflect the light outwards. They don’t look like they are cheap.

Moving to LEDs has kept our energy usage the same or lower than before we started hosting. 23 bulbs were changed at minimal cost. 65w replacement Philips bulbs are now available as low as 2.33/bulb in bulk locally.