I wish I would have thought to post prior to the 2020 7/15 deadline, but I found this to be extremely helpful and surprisingly was only on hold for a couple of minutes.
Pay close attention to #7. If you enter your social security# it will kick you back to automated and/or extend hold time.
- The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040 , and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
- Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
- Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.