Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Raising Prices to attract best guests

Oh, I’m sure the law of averages would mean I could eventually get a bad guest. No host is immune from that. I’ve hosted for 3 years. But there are many factors involved. The location of the listing, the nature of the listing and what type of guests you market towards, how many guests your place caters to, the amount and content of messaging you do with guests when they first book or request to book, etc.

It’s not that I’ve never had a issue with a guest, or that some aren’t easier to deal with than others, but the few issues were worked out amicably in the moment with guests, they didn’t result in revenge reviews, and nothing was such that I would consider them to be a bad guest or not recommended.

1 Like

I had to Google that.

JF

4 Likes

For the first two years I priced too low, heeding the constant Airbnb suggestions to some extent (though never all the way, the suggestions were too low). Before that we had rented a single room, very cheaply, and it was constantly booked. The transition to the whole unit was not as profitable. But, after garnering enough 5-star reviews so that we could risk a negative one, and after being a bit tired of recklessness and damage by guests, we raised prices by 30%, kept the guest satisfaction up, then another 14% (total 50% from where we started). Bookings increased, still kept our 5-star ratings, and the guests have been generally more professional. Yes, some are still careless, and many of those who booked in the cheap years were very nice, but overall, we’ve had a better experience. Airbnb’s algorithms don’t know your place or area like you do. I will say this: we work very hard to keep our place immaculate, to be responsive, and we add small extra amenities. We reject all requests that want to bargain - did it once, never again. We figure if they don’t think our unit is worth what we are offering it for, they won’t value it. Wish I’d had the good advice you got earlier. Kudos to your kids.

6 Likes

I am both a host and a guest! As a guest, of course I look for the best value for my money!
As a host, we also started on the lower end of the price spectrum just to get a feel for demand! We raised it, and then raised it again! We felt we were in a good pricing zone at that point! Then Covid hit, we never lowered our pricing, but felt that the quality of guests were drastically diminished! So we did another nightly hike, and have noticed a little bit better quality of guests!
Just my opinion!!!

1 Like

Alex, I’ll take “Exclamation Points!” For $200.

LOL.

8 Likes

As we know, there’s a world of difference between saying “duck” and saying “duck!” :rofl:

I truly can’t read something when the text is scattered with erroneous punctuation.

You must be an English teacher : )

No, just English :rofl:

3 Likes

But Americans don’t understand Received Pronunciation. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had a lot more month-long stays. People figure if they have to work from home, why pay big city rents when they can be somewhere scenic.
I used to have 2 night minimum but was back and forth (13 miles away) in the summer. So changed to 3 nights. Better. I now have it minimum 6 nights with Covid cleaning taking longer. I heavily discount month long stays but have raised the price 23% recently but am still cheaper than any in the city 20 minutes away.
Just got a request for 2 months Nov-Dec. Would suit me as I was just going to shut down for a while.
I would tend to agree that higher prices would change the type of guests. There are quirks to my place and it’s never ‘spotlessly clean’ as it’s old and won’t ever look clean with all the things it’s been through so don’t want really picky people either.
I have a 15 year old who has a different perspective and I do listen to her opinion.

2 Likes

Answer: yes and no to increasing price gets you “better” guests. This group may be better in someways and more difficult in others. For example business travelers are awesome in my opinion because cost is less of an issue and they’re gone all the time, no parties, no kitchen mess turnover, etc. Also, in general it is harder to trash some thing that you paid great deal for but this is not always the case. I have been a traveler on both ends - a young backpacker who had no money and now a woman in her mid-40s with a family. I have never ever trashed anywhere. I respect every space as if it is my own because it’s in my personality. This of course factors in as well. I now have a luxury tiny home. Young people (they come from DC) have just as much money now as older folks.

IMO: capping no of people helps and
No instant booking helps (much to airbandb dismay). You can still get bad clients when you screen them but I find this cuts down significantly. The short term rental sites want you to use instant booking because they care about the numbers on the exchange not the overall product.
thanks to all for sharing your experiences
this group has been very helpful for me as a new host this year

2 Likes

I agree.

For my 2BR/2BA rental a larger number of guests means more maintenance.
My two bedroom condo sleeps 6 so guests would bring 8 which usually included children.

I reduced my maximum occupancy to two (no exceptions), locked off 1 BR/1 BA, & left my nightly rate about the same.

My revenue was reduced BUT required maintenance decreased significantly.

About my nightly rate: I can’t provide a superior level of service or fine amenities or anything to differentiate my rental. If I did, I would certainly charge for them.

There are several Airbnb & VRBO rentals close with the same service & amenities as mine, so they are my pricing competition.

It’s all about finding that sweet spot for your market considering the blend of number occupants, amenities, and location.

2 Likes

Very smart move. I would recommend that others who find themselves in a similar situation follow your lead. When I reduced my listing from 5 to 4 it also decreased weird “inquiries” and requests for pet exceptions. Coincidence?

2 Likes
Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!