Questions before request

I’ve written this here a million times before (okay, I know…) but I’ve never understood why hosts refuse guests. I never have and I’ve also never had any huge problems. A few minor ones, yes, but nothing I couldn’t handle and nothing that was really any big deal - and that’s with two apartments and renting them for many years.

In the ‘old days’, before Airbnb and even before the internet, we would have guests turning up at the door with a suitcase and that’s all - no ID, no reviews, no profile, no photograph. The guest could give a false name, a false reason for being in the area…

The world is a safer place these days but still there are hosts who want guests to jump through hoops before they are permitted to stay with them. It seems crazy to me. Rant over.

3 Likes

There are a few reasons I’ve declined guests in the last year

1. The guest was booking in advance for what is prime season; they explained that they are dealing with a family health issue and may need to cancel should that situation arise. The reviews of the guest were great and in a slower season, I would have not had an issue, but in this case I didn’t want to be left with a last minute vacancy.

2. A guest asking if smoking outside was OK, despite my house rules clearly stating the contrary.

3. I’ve had guests booking for other people.

I do use IB, and that at least gives me some perspective of the guest from their reviews. For those who send inquiries and that don’t have reviews, I ask them to confirm that they’ve reviewed my house rules and to provide the information requested therein. I’ve had several guests this year who were new to ABNB and who had no problem responding with the information. Those who don’t respond, provide validation of why they may not be a good fit for my listing.

In general, the reason I want information is that I want to ensure that guest expectations are met or exceeded, and that I don’t run into issues that can be avoided.

2 Likes

Different hosting styles. I wouldn’t cancel in any of the circumstances you mentioned apart from the third party booking only IF it’s mentioned in the Airbnb message system.

I think that’s lovely and I wish that I could do it. Luckily, it’s never been an issue as yet.

1 Like

You are so right; there is no set approach that works for all … and despite that I’ve learned so much from you, and other hosts on this forum.

2 Likes

I called Airbnb to complained this, they said they will pass it to tech department. They also have heard a lot of same complains.

Thank you. Exactly right. Bottom line, we are still renting out a home, not a hotel room. We do not have security team, concierge on the site. We do not have attorneys in the back give us advises. So we try to be careful and avoid any unnecessary trouble.

1 Like

I did not ask any questions except for on the day of when I send them their door unlock code and ask them their ETA. Really none of it is my business why they’re here. When they actually arrive I’ll try to get an idea of what they’re here for in case they need recommendations

I like that with Air I can choose to only accept instant bookings from people who have been recommended by other hosts. This one small thing gives me a lot of piece of mind. I realize that anything can go wrong with anyone at anytime, but a little bit of vetting goes a long way for me.

With VRBO I have nothing, just a name. No confirmation of having read house rules, in fact no communication at all. I’m not a hotel, this is our home away from home. We’re happy to share it with others when we can’t be there, but it’s my home and I feel I have every right to know who is staying there and why. Plus, I’m an off-site host and am 7.5 hours away. I don’t have the privilege of meeting my guests in person, which honestly, would make me feel a whole lot better.

The last booking who didn’t communicate at all cancelled at the last minute during a special event weekend. I have a moderate cancellation policy, so got to keep some of the money, but could have made a whole lot more. I’m feeling a bit gun-shy since this new booking is for Memorial Day weekend.

2 Likes

Of course you do! It just will result in fewer bookings.

This makes it more difficult, I am a 5 minute WALK from my listing and I have cameras outside. I could and would evict if needed.

Happy hosting

RR

2 Likes

I’m grateful We’re not reliant on the the income, but it’s nice to help offset some of the costs.

I wish very much we were closer, but we love where we live in the summer time and I’ve found an invaluable local who cleans and and helps with anything that comes up with the rental. I like people and I think I would truly enjoy meeting our guests, so I envy those of you who get to do that.

I have never lost a booking because of asking questions.

1 Like

I have never lost a booking because of asking questions.

But have you declined bookings as a result? If yes then that equates to less income. Are you on instant book? If not that equates to less income.

RR

RRR: I usually agree with you, however the above statement assumes that because you decline a request, that it doesn’t get booked. I’ve not found that to be the case with my listing. Granted in slower season I would be be more flexible, but those that I’ve declined (this year) have not equated to less income, since those days were eventually booked.

2 Likes

Of course I have declined bookings! And I don’t worry about loss of income. Some people won’t work out renting a room. You should know that by now.

Yes, renting a room in a house vs whole house are not apples and apples.

RR

Then do NOT presume what works for you works for everyone. My guests are long term. Everyone needs a clear understanding of what expectations are when we share my house. And ninety five percent of the time it works.

2 Likes

Ok… I don’t remember presuming such a thing. Perhaps you are presuming I presumed? Hmmm Maybe time for a glass of wine.

RR

1 Like

Are there certain questions you ask (I"m not on Insta book) and trying to figure out what to ask a potential guest?

This question has been asked in an up-to-date thread.

Closing this old thread for housekeeping purposes.