Question about "Host" booking

I think I responded before that this is NOT the case as I was a host for years with no ID submitted until I wanted to stay as a guest at a listing that required it. Yes, I am in the US.

Maybe rules have changed since you joined? I joined Airbnb in October and it was a requirement. I cannot imagine it would be easy to stop potential fraud and identity theft and allow payouts to someone without them enforcing paying the proper taxes and that sort of thing

Airbnb does not enforce tax payment.

They have always STATED that I’d was a requirement but they didn’t abuse you in the process of you didn’t provide it. Maybe they do now, I don’t know.

I joined November '18 and government ID was required to complete a listing. When I added my wife as co-host a couple weeks later, she was also required to submit government ID. It was not optional and there was no alternative. I would assume this is the case across the USA, but wouldn’t apply to other countries. Of course, it’s possible that hosts who joined before the requirement was enacted still don’t have a verified government ID either because they were grandfathered-in or because Airbnb’s platform is buggy.

1 Like

Interestingly I don’t see “government ID” as one of the things I’ve provided. I joined in 2013 so I don’t recall the sign up process.

When I go to my profile now and click on Trust and Verification it gives me a button to provide ID. I’ve never been turned down to book due to lack of ID.