Progress? Alogarithm up the spout

When I set my earnings goal Airbnb said it was too lofty and I should expect less (because their price tips are so disgustingly low). Now I have exceeded my goal Airbnb metrics tell me I should have earned more. It’s a good job they aren’t advising on parenting. Btw just listed my son’s room whilst he is away in Greece. Price tip? £14 per night for a double room in a top neighbourhood in a major UK city. I am just going to be the rebel teenager who says speak to the hand.

2 Likes

for some reason, I find this vagueness most amusing! x

1 Like

Glad to have amused you.

There. Now I’m amusing myself

It wouldn’t have been helpful if I’d been specific and posted something like Seven Dials, Brighton or Didsbury, Manchester, would it? You weren’t funny the first time and you’re even less funny now so drop it. Sarcasm and teasing are the lowest form of wit and it’s actually quite bad manners. Thank you.

@Jess1 – we’ve known “since forever” that Air’s pricing tips are ridiculous. It’s a wonder anyone pays any attention to them. Likewise many of their other “trying to be helpful” things like earning goals and how often you muck about with your calendar (my personal beef)are equally help-less.

When did you start with Air? I don’t remember setting an “earning goal” when I started this a couple years back…

2 Likes

3 + years hosting. I only started using the earning goal feature a few months ago. Obviously a bit of a dud.

Last week for one of our listings with a two night minimum I got the advise to lower my minimum stay because guests are making reservations for 1 night or less :confused:, mmmmhhh I guess I really don’t want reservations for less than 1 night :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

By the hour bawdy house lol

oh my effing god, what are you like! I must be a bit more careful with my playful teasing!

1 Like

Just be yourself @Barns. Humorless folk are the bane of my existence.

4 Likes

Thanks for your gracious apology.

1 Like

No, I haven’t ever seen this either but if I did, I’d go off on one about how daft it is that Airbnb think that professional adults need their help to create ‘earning goals’. Sorry, but I hate being treated like a ten year old.

2 Likes

When I recently created my new listing, AirBnB suggested something like $50USD per night as my starting price. It’s an entire 2-bedroom house! That wouldn’t even cover cleaning services if I charged that much. I set it for more than double that and am booked almost nonstop. I agree their price suggestions are pretty ridiculous.

So very ridiculous. I haven’t time to do a search but someone told me on another thread that air % charged to guest goes down as your listing price goes up. One of the mods, maybe @jaquo?
So if your price is lower their ser. charge goes up, you get booked more b/c of cheap pricing and they end up making more $$$.

I was really surprised.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly how it works.

“The guest service fee for homes ranges between 0% and 20% of the booking subtotal (the nightly rate plus cleaning fee and additional guest fee, if applicable, but excluding Airbnb fees and taxes) and is calculated using a variety of factors—these include the reservation subtotal, the length of the stay, and characteristics of the listing. In general, the service fee gets lower as the reservation cost gets higher.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you found that, but thanks. The more I learn on here the more I know I need to learn. Geez. I’ll get the hang of it someday. Maybe once I’m ready to retire! finances dictate that won’t be soon! LOL

Airbnb service fees - Airbnb Help Center :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wish I could like this a hundred times!

1 Like