Professional Photography

Have any of you received the free professional photography session recently that you can request via Air? Is this a relic of the past?

I have an appointment with an Airbnb photographer tomorrow :)… I had to ask for my photo session thrice :confused:. First time nobody answered, second time the photographer cancelled.

So, did you cancel and resend the request several times or send a request to the support folks?

Let us know how it goes!! Once my contractor shows up to finish the job (BWAAAH HAAH AAAH HAAA) I’m going to request it.

From your experience, should I go ahead and request now? Really there’s no telling when things will be finished here.

Nine months and counting here, so you’re probably safe clicking it now.

1 Like

Felixcat, indeed I cancelled and resent.

From what I have read, photographers are approved by Airbnb but don’t have to respond to requests. They have a dashboard much like hosts have, Airbnb forwards hosts’ photoshoot requests and photographers may accept or decline. That’s why I thought that it may be a good strategy to cancel and enquire again, as it sends a new fresh request. For the same reason I think it’s better to send your request on a working day, not on weekends.

Dc, you would better wait until your place is ready because when a photographer contacts you, he wants an appointment the same week. I have sent my last request on Tuesday morning, got a text from the photographer in the evening and he wanted an appointment the next day… Same with the guy who cancelled.

My understanding is that most of the photographers are young freelancers and they accept Airbnb photoshoots when they need cash ^^.

1 Like

I have and it was a local guy. Quite a while ago though so lots about my apartment has changed. I think only one of the original photos remain, but I do recommend it because it really really does help to have a professional touch to your photos.

I have had smooth, successful airbnb professional photographers TWICE. Each time the results boosted inquiries and enthusiasm about the properties.

1 Like

@jds How did you get a second one? I had one when I first started 3 years ago, but my room has changed. I requested a second one and they said no.

So, I reached out to the support folks and it seems they are looking for new photographers in the area. I would imagine the same goes for you, @dcmooney.

We’re bringing a new property on line a few weeks and was hoping to schedule a professional photographer for not long after.

We had photos done for our other property a few years ago and I think they really helped initially and they do look good - I can never get them to look as bright.

1 Like

It’s because they use a reflector. Plus, they will often turn on every light in the house, if you notice. Indoor interior photography is quite the art. The real magazine shots take hours to get sometimes! (I’m a magazine features journalist for a home magazine.)

So, I met my Airbnb photographer this afternoon.

He’s a handsome guy :blush: but that’s not the subject here. He is a former cameraman, self-taught photographer and has been photographying places for Airbnb for 5 years.

The photo session took 20 minutes (my listing is a 2 br condo). He was glad to see my place clean and tidy as it seems that some hosts expect a complete photoshoot crew with a maid and stylist :smiley:

He told me that Airbnb now requires photos to be taken with no flash or lighting trick, only light from windows and lighting fixtures. Airbnb requires him to deliver at least 12 photos, including one photo of each accessible room + photos of details that set the character of the listing, as well as a photo of the host ! I wasn’t prepared for that last one and I was wearing my maid suit (trackpants and an old t-shirt :/).

After he selects and edits his photos, he forwards them to Airbnb, which reviews the pictures and then uploads them to the listing. The whole process should be completed within 4 weeks (in my case, he told me it should take about 2 weeks).

@copenhagenhost , to take bright interior photos, you must set a longer exposure time on your camera. I am an interior designer and when I take photos of my projects myself, I set a 1/60 exposure (or longer) on my camera. If you have a camera stand it is better as longer exposure times may lead to blurry photos if the camera is not perfectly stable. Add a little processing in your favourite photo editing software and you should get pretty good photos :slightly_smiling:

For all fellow hosts who don’t have a background in interior photography, I have found this very useful PDF which sums up guidelines and tricks Airbnb gives to photographers : http://personalmasterclass.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Photography+Manual_01-2013.pdf

4 Likes

I’m in two minds about professional photography so I’d like to have your opinions. I’m a believer in ‘under-promise and over-deliver’ and my photographs on the listing are OK-ish,

Guests tend to say that the place is better than it looks in the photographs. (The view always delights them and that’s what sets it apart from so many other local places).

So if the apartment looked even better in the listing, that might very well lead to more bookings but if they were really good, could guests be disappointed? I’m undecided although I’ve heard that verified photographs can help your search position.

Opinions please :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

Your maid suit…lol

I’ve had that same concern, but many hosts tell me that is not the case, and from Barthelemy’s story it seems like the are not using ‘tricks’.

I have seen some photos on listings that looked like an angel could burst through the windows at any minute…and I don’t want that!

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that we can only display the professional photographs that we choose? Still a dilemma for me!

Almost all real estate listings have that effect!
LOL

You can use any or none! The choice is up to you!
If you dump them, take some screenshots of them in case later you change your mind.

Thanks Kona. Good information :slight_smile: