Private room prices plunging

Yes, I got word today that, in my area, airbnb photographers are getting as many as 60 requests a day. That made my heart skip a beat. But my husband and I decided we are just going to keep our face forward, and see where we can improve the space. For instance, thanks to some input I got here, I see some things I can change to make the photos more appealing. I need to get some art on the walls, replace the Costco folding table with a real desk, or maybe an nice chair.

The trick is to do this without investing so much that I push my own self out of business.

4 Likes

It’s possible to furnish without spending a fortune…, I know of many vacation rentals here that are furnished entirely on garage sale or thrift store items, I shop the sales. Right now all the stores are putting their summer stuff on sale. BBQS, patios sets, umbrellas and the like. Nice outdoor cushions at Kmart for $17 each. Half off!

Not to mention the I word but you can get some great stuff there. Just put your own spin on the decorations.

2 Likes

I skimped where I could.Bought a nice bed w drawers that was 700 for 200 from costco.It was the last one. Bought dining chairs on Craigslist but they were high quality chairs. Also my sister gave me some nice pieces too…dont forget to tell your family you would like to “borrow” some nice pieces if they will help. Got a nice desk from my sister but I dont think shes getting it back! I took all my own photos. There are apps on the phones now to change the lighting etc… I didnt want to use airbnb photog cuz they are in a hurry. I spent a lot of time staging everything…climbing on ladders etc… takes a lot of time,the airbnb photogs dont have time. I probably shot over 300 photos and kept about 50 to post.

Well, your hard work certainly did paid off! I am hoping to find some deals - we just have to be patient!

Thanks!

1 Like

I agree that you can find nice stuff cheap. I have many thrift store/garage sale/craigslist items in my home. Also buying online and having it delivered to your door if you don’t have a truck to bring home larger items can be surprisingly affordable.

DOnt go crazy though. Check out 'offerup.com". I buy everything there. Some things were spotless and cost close to nothing. I furnished 4/2 house there for 2k:)
I also think that amount of new hosts with their listing are still in a very moderate numbers comparing to demand. THe main problem that there are still many many people who have no idea what Airbnb is. Most of my guests are newbies. Does it tell you something? I am hosting for 18 months now and still get most newbies. Its a lot of travelers in this world, and so few Airbnbs.
Within 2 miles radius from my house there are at least 20 new hotels are build. I think they know hat they are doing, i think their business analysts did their job and researched the market and could see that there is a huge demand with still growing population.

3 Likes

beg from family first!!! Everybody has extra stuff.I got lucky because my sister has good taste and had nice things to contribute for free.

1 Like

Well, I’m starting the circuit of taking my daughter to visit colleges. So I hit good ol’ airbnb looking for some ‘plunged prices’ in a few different areas. I’m telling you, “we” don’t have anything to worry about. Most of the rooms looked HORRIBLE. So yeah, for the real bargain hunters, let them have it. But I ended up NOT going with a bargain because I wanted to be comfortable.

That first photo is IS. So many people have a terrible first photo - a room full of living room furniture - “am I sleeping on a couch?” or a room crammed full of stuff “where will I breath” etc. Yucky looking sheets, flat worn pillows, or so many pillows on the bed…really, like 12 or something…

And the overused words? COZY, of course (which I use, have to change it) and “ZEN”.

3 Likes

Yes, yes and yes. I am flabbergasted at what people think is appropriate for their 1-second sales photo.

(guiltily ignores the cozy thing… not because I used it 6 times in my listing… nooooo)

3 Likes

Oh, I know, I used it to!!

So I went to look and realized I need a ‘buzz’ word. Right now it just says “2 Bedrooms/Private Bath/Hot Breakfast/Convenient!”

The words most used in my reviews is ‘welcoming’ ‘friendly’ ‘so nice’ and ‘comfortable’. They also rave about my breakfast.

Any suggestions?

This is what we’ve come up with “Welcome Travelers! 2 Bedrooms, Hot Breakfast, Bath”

2 Likes

And I have to say - I gave up at the second location and booked a hotel. I was exhausted searching through so many listings to find out what the hec I was going to get - for the same price of iffy looking rooms near my destination I got a nice room on the ocean front in Virginia Beach -

I wouldn’t say welcome travelers. Everyone searching on Air is a traveler. I wouldn’t mention the bath. That’s also a given. HOt breakfast is a draw. I might mention proximity to DC or that it’s a family home.,some benefit or plus needs to be in the headline.

“Private family suite in suburban DC, hot breakfast.”

Something that gives a locator, a description and a perk.

4 Likes

The words in my title that seem to get the most attention are “Quiet Retreat”.

1 Like

Note to South Floridian hosts - I just found this online:

Of the 16,100 Floridians who shared their homes, or a room in their homes, via the site in 2015, about 49 percent — or 7,910 — were based in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area.

I wonder what the figures are now? That’s a hell of a lot of competition.

I changed my title slightly after reading posts here. I tried to think of what, if anything, set my listing apart. I like the idea of having a name for the place. Then I have to disclose the dogs, having an ensuite bathroom is a draw and for the kind of guests I get being right off the freeway saves them time.

So this is what I’m currently using:
K9 Karma Casa w/ensuite bathroom & close to 1-10

I thought about “Cool and clean oasis” since it has a window A/C in the room, people always remark that it’s clean, I live in the desert, but what I have is more descriptive.

I am constantly learning that people don’t know what “K9” means. They also don’t understand what it means when I say I “board dogs.” And these are English speakers! At least half my guests say something like “are these all your dogs?”

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could make it clearer without sounding like I’m explaining something to a 5 year old, please let me know.

Well, the obscure title has worked and you are always booked but I agree. I might try something like this. Using your words.

Cool, clean oasis near 1-10. Love dogs! Or Dog heaven!

Near 1-10. Cool, clean dog oasis

Dog lovers’ oasis. Cool, clean near 1-10.

Do you think the en suite is really a selling point?

Dogs: canine, K9, man’s best friend

The trick is to come up with a name that evokes a picture OR a sentiment.

I’m not always booked actually. I still haven’t figured out how much I could be booked since I’m always blocking off days because there are too many dogs or workers are coming in. Based on what other’s posted here I think ensuite is a selling point. A bathroom in the room is better than a bathroom across the hall in all cases, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Karma Casa is supposed to do that and I’m happy with the name of my listing, but not if I could get more bookings with a re-wording. LOL.

1 Like

I hope not! My bathroom is not ensuite, but you get the whole floor and it is the top floor. No ‘thru’ traffic so they can walk around in various states of undress without worrying about privacy. That has been a selling point for my older [greater than 55] guests.