Pricing questions

1. I can’t figure out where to set pricing for different dates. I live in a huge college town so I want pricing to go up for weekend football games but back down during the week.
  2. How come Airbnb is taking so much of my money? They advised 3% commission but they are taking about 20%!

I thought it was up to 4.5%, but 20% is nuts. Something is definitely wrong. They take more from the guests.

It says the total for 2 nights is $527 and I would get $425

Maybe it’s the new listing discount? I believe that it is 20% off for the first 3 guests but that you can turn it off. @Annet3176 must know!

What do you have the 2 nights priced? If the total is $527 then that includes not only your price per night and cleaning fee but also airbnb’s service fee that they charge guests and taxes.

So the total is not what you’ve charged but what the guest will pay. You will get what you charge minus a 3% fee, that hasn’t changed. I had a booking come in last night and I just checked it, it’s still 3%.

1 Like

You should be able to clearly see the breakdown of what your payout is. Airbnb is not charging you 20% in service fees, I assure you, unless you have chosen the “host pays all fees” model instead of the split guest/host fee model, but then the service fee is about 15% and hosts need to up their nightly price to cover that if that is the service fee option they use.

As JJD points out, new listings have a 20% discount to the guest on the nightly fee turned on by default- you need to turn it off if you don’t want to offer it.

So take your nightly rate, multiply by the number of nights the booking is for (which should show as that at the top of your payout form), subtract the 3% host service fee and the 20% new listing discount and that should jive with your payout.

Also, do you live in an area where Airbnb withholds taxes on your behalf? Because that will also affect your payout.

1 Like

Yes! I did click yes to first 3 bookings getting 20% off! I can’t find where I go to turn it off?!

Thank you for the screenshot.

So, your take is $370 + $70 - 3% = 427

370 + 70 = 440

3% of 440 = 13.2

440 - 13 = $427

It is correct and they are only charging you 3% in fees.

The guest service fee and the taxes go to Airbnb. The total in this case is the total that the guest pays, not the total that you charge. Only your charges are relevant to your earnings.

You charged a total of $440. And you are earning $427. That is a 3% fee that has been deducted.

There is no evidence of a 20% discount on there either.

1 Like

Are you sure you didn’t turn it off already? It’s not on the pricing you have in the screenshot.

The screenshot you posted makes it quite clear. $525 is what the guest paid, which includes the guest service fee of $62 and the taxes of $23. This has nothing to do with your payout. Your payout is your nightly rate (which I guess had the 20% discount applied- did you set your nightly rate at $185?) minus the 3% service fee. That host service fee is charged on both your nightly rate and the cleaning fee.

@JJD- does the guest payment screenshot normally show the nightly rate, with then whatever discount may be applicable as deducted, or does it normally show the nightly rate as having the discount already included? In other words, if a host’s nightly rate was $200, and there was a 20% discount would that screen shot she posted show the nightly rate as $200, and then another line showing $40 deducted, or would the top line just say $160 per night?

Yes the discount shows. But maybe it’s different for a new host discount. I never used it and it’s been a long time so I don’t remember.

This is from my calendar. You see the discount there in the list.

I want to point out a, what I perceive as a flaw. It’s just something to be aware of

Even though it says, “What guests pay” and shows the 5 nights rate together and the discount they get, the $201 per night is not what they are going to pay, it is what they would pay without the discount. What they pay per night with the discount is $185/night. But I have to go to my listing page and run the dates to get that number, which is what they’ll see when they search (not $201).

1 Like

Ok thank you! :+1:

Any help on how to set different prices on different days of the week?

Do you mean how to do it technically on the calendar or how to decide what the prices should be?

Technically how to do it on the calendar

Thanks, I’ve never offered any discounts, nor booked as a guest, so I wasn’t clear on that.

A couple months ago I had my first booking since Airbnb started collecting and withholding some of the Mexican taxes from guests and hosts, and while I’m good with numbers and figuring out that stuff, it was so confusing. I had to sit down with my accountant and have her explain it to me. They charge and withhold 4% income tax from hosts, they charge the 16% VAT to guests, but withhold only 8% of that to forward to the Mexican tax dept, releasing the other 8% to the host, which the host is responsible for paying. It was hard to make heads or tails of until my accountant ran me through it.

Well you choose a date or a group of consecutive dates then on the right side of the screen you’ll the price that is already set and you can put your cursor in there and change the price to something else. That is on the website. It’s similar but maybe a little different on the app.

Here is a good help article that it explains it and you can even choose from the tabs to see the instructions on the Desktop, iOS app, Android app or Mobile browser. I really recommend that you spend some (a lot of) time just reading the help articles.

This is what it looks on the website.

Here I’ve chosen 3 nights that are all the same price, $189. You can see to the right, I’ve circled it, where the price is. You put your cursor in there and type over the other price. (If I had chosen only one date then it would look the same).

Here is what it looks like if choose dates that have different prices. It shows a range of prices. I can change the price for both of them at the same time but only to the same price, not different prices. I would have to do each separately if I want them to still have different prices.

These are just examples but you will need to read through the help and resource articles to really get on top of it. Read the TOS too!

1 Like

Hmm I can’t even find a calendar

@Cyndyrr327 It’s also a really good idea to go through everything on the hosting pages, click on each heading, then click on any subheadings that come up under that, just to familiarize yourself with where to find all the settings and info. Airbnb buries a lot of stuff, and it can be quite non-intuitive as to where to find it. I have made myself notes off-site so I can relocate things that are hard to find.

Then just to add to the fun, every once in awhile, Airbnb techs redesign our hosting pages and you have to hunt and peck to find where they have moved things to, or decided to rename. For instance, they used to call our percentages for things like Response Rate, Acceptance rate, etc., “Stats”, then one day they changed it to “Performance” and now I think it may be called something else yet again. They never tell hosts about these changes, you just have to figure it out yourself, or ask on a forum.

1 Like

I have searched for an hour for this calendar. I’ve looked on a laptop and my phone, I watched a YouTube and now I’ve gone through your directions and still don’t see it. I just listed it about 5 hours ago, does it make me wait for a certain time?

This is one of the things I was talking about when I said things were buried in the hosting pages and non-intuitive. Click on “Calendar” on the top heading on your hosting account. On the page that comes up, you will see a horizontal calendar at the top of the screen. That is called the “multicalendar”. To the left of that, you will see the name of your listing in a colored box at the top of a list of possible choices. Click on the name of your listing, and it will take you to your monthly calendar, as shown above.

Why they can’t just have a line that says “monthly calendar” is beyond me.