Pricing adds cleaning fee, service fee and taxes to overall nightly price?!

So my friend looked at my listing and it said 273!! a night!! I am asking 175.00 and it advertises (in addition the cleaning, service and taxes) into the overall price-making it look ridiculously expensive. You would think they would advertise my nightly fee and then the guest can see the extra services fees if they are interested. People like my friend would never even look at my place if they thought it was 273 a night? This seems not to be in the host’s favour to market the place like that.
*Also question- since I went live but put my opening date 2 weeks away (to finish up odds and ends)- is this somehow making my listing hard to find? As I haven’t got one query in a week since it went live.
*I noticed many put the town in their title- which I didn’t originally do- since I thought they’d see the location in the search listing- but based on looking at other’s titles- I guess this is imperative? Thank you for any advice.

I put my location in the title to avoid confusion but I truly don’t know if that affects the search. I’m at the Jersey Shore but it’s not in LBI which is the popular town most folks want to stay at. Since you have a new listing, your listing should pop up at the top of the first page.

1 Like

Actually, many guests much prefer to see the total price rather than the nightly price and then be shocked when they go to book and see a much higher cost when the taxes, fees and cleaning is added on. They feel it is false advertising.

Location in title? Unless there is a good reason to do that, i.e. guests getting confused about the area you may be in, it just takes up more of your 32 character title limit.

4 Likes

It’s a common complaint that people search, find a place they like and is in their budget, then get hit with high fees when they go to book. So, yes, AirBnB does not want this to happen to the guests so they show the total price.

If you aren’t getting bookings maybe your price is too high if even your friend wouldn’t book your place at the price you want.

3 Likes

In Europe everyone sees the total price on booking.

Yes, I am aware of that. It’s EU regulations, right?

I like seeing the overall price both as a guest, and as a host. As a host it allows me to more easily compare my rates with others in my neighbourhood, which I think is important.

Some hosts might not charge a cleaning rate for example, but will factor that in to the nightly rate. So seeing it all together is more accurate for comparison purposes.

I also agree with what someone else said - thinking when you click that the room is within your budget only to shortly after discover it’s not at all,would be much more annoying to guests, who may even feel they’ve been mislead.

2 Likes