Potential guest asking for phone convo before booking

This was in my email today, new to this so looking for support.

“I understand that I have to confirm the booking on the site. However I was wondering if there is any way we can talk over the phone before I confirm”.
I sent a polite reply stating that it was not Airnb policy to do so, and said I could answer all questions via email.

5 Likes

I think that was the right response.

2 Likes

I have talked to a person on the phone before booking, but that was solely because it was my first booking and my place was barely furnished and I was going to buy furnishings, etc specifically for this family because I was only set up for 2 people and he was inquiring about a 15 day stay with children as well. I wanted to get all the details clear before booking.

BUT, I would not do it otherwise. The messaging string is there to protect you in the case of issues down the line. That said: what is your gut feeling on this? What kind of person is this based on the profile? For someone older, they may simply not be comfortable with messaging. You can spell out numbers to make it visible by doing spaces like 1 2 3 - 4 5 6 - 7 8 9 0 and it will should not be redacted.

2 Likes

That alone is why I’m sticking to ABB messages pre-booking. I think if it’s worded in a way that the potential guest understands you want to keep everything on the platform for their protection it shouldn’t be a problem. I know I dislike extensive messaging on my app but I still don’t want to do calls.

5 Likes

You’re not allowed to make contact out of the app before the booking. Thats why they block the phone number and addresses and things before in the chat.

3 Likes

And that is a good point to remember too. If you do have issues down the road and they go through your chat to help in arbitration and see that you gave your number, you would be in violation of TOS and probably lose.

4 Likes

I used to HATE this request and wonder why in the world I would ever talk to a guest in advance. Then I started listing on VRBO and it’s very common to have a phone conversation first. You know what? It’s actually really great to have a conversation with the guest in advance. They get a sense of you, and you get a sense of them. It can take a “maybe” inquiry to a yes. I have entire place listings so I’m not sharing a place, and I think it would be even more important to have a phone conversation if I was sharing space.

Airbnb is not set up to exchange private info, so it’s not really too much of an option if you use the Airbnb platform. There’s lots of ways to get around the filters, and if you do want to and manage to have a conversation on the phone, of course it’s important to keep the details and booking on the platform that brought you the lead.

4 Likes

I would not advise that. It’s a clear violation of the TOS and could get you both booted off Airbnb.

3 Likes

We’ve had two inquiries from across the country who want to send a relative to “visit” before they book for a week or a month, or who will be in town “next week” but want to come stay in our town for a month in winter, and want to ‘tour’ the property. We don’t allow that either, and tell folks it’s a security/privacy decision, and that Air won’t allow exchange of phone or email. In both cases we’ve never heard from them again. Oh well. Didn’t need their business anyway, winter is our BUSY season.

2 Likes

Just had two messages from guy, first one says great, and he will book. Then second message telling me there is a family emergency, not booking. Reading between the lines I gather another host allowed him to have a phone convo and negotiated a better deal. Cynical I know, but I took his wanting to call and talk as a red flag.

4 Likes

And the drama continues. Just had a message saying all is ok now and he wants to book. I sent him a message declining, ticked box for Airnb that I’m not comfortable with guest. Hope this doesn’t affect my status.

5 Likes

Sometimes new users try. They don’t get that you can’t call. He might have been ok? Just a newb who didn’t understand?

1 Like

I’ve hosted over 250 guests. I’ve had two who wanted to talk on the phone after they booked before their stay. They were the most needy, entitled guests I’ve ever had. The phone calls were about the particular ways they wanted everything to be. After these experiences; I consider guests who can’t get enough information about the property and amenities from the listing and ask any questions they have on the Airbnb email to be red flags.

6 Likes

usually it means they will negotiate with you. Thats fine but they can negotiate through website. I had few girls who negotiated with me but throughthe site. I reduced price so they could book mmediately

Nervous, incessant question askers are huge red flag guests.

3 Likes

Totally agree: and when people send more messages than one before arriving, that already gives you some ideas of the person. More than “Hi, I’d like to stay in your place”.

Fake listings abound - and horror stories - so it is understandable that guests may want to confirm whether it is a real listing or not. One of the ways is a phone call. Not saying you should accept the call request - the Airbnb policy forbids it - but try to understand the guest’s intention behind it.

4 Likes

Louise, I absolutely think that your reply was the correct response to that potential guest’s request! There’s no way that I would give my phone number to someone who had not yet confirmed a reservation. If he/she has questions should go through the Airbnb portal, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Speaking of breaching AirBnb rules, I occasionally get inquiries for one night but in chat they ask to rent my space long term and pay in cash… No sorry, at least if it’s though AirBnB I’ll get paid and have back up if you damage anything!

3 Likes

I tell them no, can’t call, but if after booking they still need a phone call they can call me. And had two guests who did call post booking and they both turned out to be awesome guests. For older people (over 50) there is something reassuring about being able to talk to a real person. And the conversations were about parking and what should they bring, I.e. how well outfitted was the place.

4 Likes