Please help me with a review of this guest

Of course it’s ridiculous for a guest to complain and leave a bad review about things you don’t offer because they failed to read the listing.
He does have a point though about healthier snacks, although that’s the sort of suggestion to be given privately.

If you look on the labels of the Chex mix, cookies, peanut butter crackers, and nuts (which I would assume are pre-packaged), I think you’ll find they are all loaded with sugar and salt and hydrogenated vegetable oil. Probably the oatmeal is too, if it is the pre-packed stuff. It might be nice to substitute or add some healthier choices.

I don’t disagree about healthier snacks but I found when I offered fresh milk and cream and fruit, etc they ended up expiring or went bad before they were used up.

Also, at my price point, I need to pick up these snacks (which are free) at the dollar store. I offer the apple sauce because it hits the price point and has a long shelf life and it’s what I substitute for apples.

If you have some ideas of inexpensive healthier treats, I’d love to hear the suggestions. My price point is $1.25 for 6 or more pre-packed snacks.

1 Like

Perhaps no snacks, or maybe one type (trail mix, for example). Why do you feel the need to provide them at all?

1 Like

I don’t know what the dollar store offers. I just got some nut bars at Costco that were 50 cents each. At other times I’ve offered a granola bar. Seasonally I’ll also put some candy in the room. I have one night stays and my current rate is $64 a night. I don’t feel that a dollar a night is too much. Along with the water, coffee and creamer I’m spending $2 a night if they use it all but some guests don’t use any.

If your budget is that tight then either don’t offer snacks or ignore this fellow’s suggestion. As you said you’ve been busy and no one else has complained.

1 Like

I feel that if guests check in late or early they have something. I also provide oodles of noodles and oatmeal.

I’d say for ever 5 guests, 1 might eat something and then every 20 guests, they will eat everything.

Guests often tell me how much they appreciated having them.

I am happy with what I offer. It hits my price point. It was some of the folks commenting on my guest’s complaint that I didn’t have healthy snacks other than apple sauce.

@Lynick4442 Your snacks are totally fine. Some people just don’t have anything else to do, but you don’t have to listen to them. He’s an entitled boomer who thinks he can stave off death by skipping apple sauce. Who cares what he thinks.

He has absolutely zero right to mention the free, unadvertised, not required nor should be expected snacks that you so generously left for him. What an a-hole.

Besides, most of your snacks are “healthy”. Maybe not the cookies but that is the whole point of cookies. (Pro-tip, healthy cookies taste like ass.) If someone doesn’t like it then they don’t have to eat the free snacks. You put up with a lot of crap from this guy, you shouldn’t be defending your snacks too. Screw them.

3 Likes

Not at $1.25 for 6. But I wasn’t suggesting you change what you provide- just saying the snacks are indeed not particularly healthy.

But the guy was a jerk to put it in the review- no one is forcing him to eat it. We can’t please, nor need to try to, our guest’s preferences when it comes to that. Someone will want gluten-free, another lactose-free, another 100% organic, another will complain about wasteful individual packaging, on and on. If they are ingrates about snacks the host is thoughtful enough to provide, they should bring their own.

1 Like

Sorry, I misunderstood. I’ll bow out now.

I meant in the same price point. Thanks for your input.

So our reviews have been posted and he has contacted me 3 times and now is begging for me to give him another chance.

I thought when your review included not hosting them again his contact would be blocked but if he persists, I’ll call Airbnb.

1 Like

I had a vegan friend years ago who when she offered me a muffin or something she just baked, I had to say No, thank you, because it always tasted akin to cardboard.

I guess it depends on what someone considers healthy. Unless people consider natural things like butter, flour, eggs and some kind of sweetener “unhealthy”, cookies you make at home or store-bought “natural” ones, like without artificial dyes and flavorings, preservatives, hydrogenated oils, or overly sweet, can taste just fine and I don’t consider them unhealthy.

( I’ve always wondered why store-bought cookies usually list “coloring”. Like what color would their cookies be without coloring?)

1 Like

I know you said his son lives in town, so I assume he comes to visit him, but why would he be begging you to give him another chance? Is yours the least expensive option in the srea or something?

:rofl: This is so bizarre, what an arse. The good news is that when people read reviews and get to this line, they will just laugh and disregard his entire review because he’s clearly a nut: you are providing a place to stay, not a free grocery store.

4 Likes

Go to the message thread and mouse over the message until the 3 ellipses pop up on the right. (They certainly don’t want to make this obvious do they? The little flag is gone.) Click on them and you’ll get a pop up to report the message. Maybe it will also let you block him that way.

2 Likes

This is utterly bizarre! Could you tell him that you’ll consider giving him a second chance if he amends his review – and then after he does so, block him so he can never return or contact you again? :slight_smile:

A guest can’t easily amend their review. She already said he is manipulative and she’s just wasting her time to have any further interaction with him. What a jerk. I feel sorry for his son.

2 Likes

he can’t amend it, but he can ask airbnb to remove it, and you can block him easily by clicking report, you have some options there to choose and he will be blocked automatically, don’t waste airbnb cs time for this

1 Like

It’s one of the most affordable STR in the area and has high reviews. Honestly, he seems like a man-child and felt very manipulative whenever I spoke with him.

1 Like

His actual review was a 5 but marked me down for accuracy - I’m guessing it’s the disclosed (three times in listing and in photo) that there is no kitchen sink so I provide paper goods. And also for check-in - can you believe that he shows up 3 hours early with no notice and marks me down for check in?

2 Likes