Please help me respond to a retaliatory, false review from a guest who trashed our apartment :( (Rant & story)

Yes after this stay we started thinking of adding in check-up cleanings to the stays. We’ve done so many long term stays and everyone always respects the place and leaves it great, so this was a shock.

1 Like

It’s been working great for us actually! We used to do short term, but switched to longer term stays maybe 1.5 years ago. We usually get professionals who are working at a hospital, university or one of the other businesses in the city on a short contract. We have a 1 week minimum but the bookings are always longer.

2 Likes

Yes we’ve had many long term stays and are familiar with the level of cleaning required. We expect to do a deep clean. No one has ever left it like this luckily! This level of filth was really something else. I don’t know how they could have been comfortable living in those conditions really. :grimacing:

Wow a guest painted?? I’m guessing they didn’t mention this to the host in advance? That’s crazy

1 Like

I’d really recommend it. I do a cleaning-linen-change session for any guest that stays over 8 days. It’s for my benefit but guests really like it. I certainly wouldn’t want to put my faith in guests to launder the bedding and so on.

I have lovely guests but I also sometimes have single blokes - now I’m not in the least stereotyping here (honest) but I honestly don’t think that young men change the bedding as often as I’d like…

2 Likes

Not only painted but painted the walls a horrible colour and the bedroom furniture an equally horrible colour that didn’t match horrible colour number one.

Now that was an expensive guest.

2 Likes

My generic advice to all SuperHOs: Drop the appeal to authority (i.e stop bragging about your superHOst status).It is a logical fallacy in rhetorical debate.

3 Likes

It IS too long!!!

Honestly, almost everything in that response is irrelevant because a your public response to a guest’s review is not the place to review the guest. You are responding to the bad review she left. Post the exact text of that review and you’ll get better help, but so far, the only thing worth mentioning is that this review is left in retaliation for being asked to pay for significant damages to the property.

3 Likes

How about if I just change my forum pic to the SH “award” Airbnb sent me? :wink:

In defense of all SHos who drop that into the beginning of their post, it does tell us a little something about them as a host. It’s frustrating to give advice to new members who tell us nothing about their listing, their experience or themselves.

5 Likes

Although on second thought when I think of the SH’s who get it after just 10 stays/one quarter and barely make 4.8, it’s underwhelming.

Point taken.

2 Likes

It might be relevant to mention here for context, but is irrelevant in response to a guest complaint, whether or not that complaint is horse manure.

Oh, duh! (LOL at me).

It is also the rhetorical appeal “ethos.”

1 Like

Reading about logical fallacies here warms my heart. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

We have a 30 day minimum and require weekly cleanings. We do charge a weekly fee and it is not optional. We also charge a one time exit cleaning fee. Weekly cleanings include a change of sheets and towels. I think our guests make an effort to be more responsible this way and it keeps the apartments from getting to a point of no return. We sometimes need to leave notes for the guests to help them understand what our expectations of them are.

If it works for you then that’s fine.

Hey I got it first quarter barely 10 stays…
You have to start somewhere. I can be underwhelming though I guess.

RR

So did I and I realize I didn’t know crap and was very lucky. Honest to dog, I found this forum and started reading during the first quarter, then after I retired from teaching I joined and started actively particpating. I give the collected wisdom here the credit it is due. I still learn new things every month or so.

2 Likes

I got it first quarter too, but I think it was 27 stays or something (but I was certainly still winging it in a lot of ways). It does weird me out when a new listing with 6 reviews (but presumably 10 stays) gets SH status. As a guest, it would only sully the status for me.

But one shouldn’t “start” at Superhost…that doesn’t make any sense ,) You were still getting your “legs” at 10 visits, how super could you really be? I was glad to get it when I did, but would have been happy to forgo it for it to be more relevant :woman_shrugging:

…about 5 months before I put up my first listing. I read and took notes and made lists…I know I was lucky it was here and I am 100% grateful for the information (even if it is a little testy at times :wink:

4 Likes

Although Airbnb just recently made some changes to the review policy, further changes still need to be made. It is not acceptable for guests to be able to blatantly lie or make false accusations and their review be allowed on the platform.

I expect that within the next 9 years they might make some changes. I’ve only been a host 5.7 years but I can’t recall any other changes that Airbnb has made that favor the host this much. I think their model is very much burn and churn on the hosts. They don’t care if you don’t like it, you can leave. There’s a new host waiting to take your bookings and it’s cheaper to promote them than satisfy you.

1 Like